Whats lurking? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Whats lurking??

I'm 18 now and not into racing as much as I used to be, but I've always wondered something's since I was around 16. What's a car to stay away from (racing wise)? When I say a car, I mean like a car that is common with other teens. (Ex: v6's max, no supras, you get the point...) I have a 99 v6 mustang and it's faster than my friends mustang even when it was stock (his is an 03) right now it's running Around 230-240 HP and idk how much torque. I see sports cars with teens in them and I always kinda wonder if it could hang with me or not. Some cars to stay away from would be nice thanks!!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Whats lurking?

I'm 18 now and not into racing as much as I used to be, but I've always wondered something's since I was around 16. What's a car to stay away from (racing wise)? When I say a car, I mean like a car that is common with other teens. (Ex: v6's max, no supras, you get the point...) I have a 99 v6 mustang and it's faster than my friends mustang even when it was stock (his is an 03) right now it's running Around 230-240 HP and idk how much torque. I see sports cars with teens in them and I always kinda wonder if it could hang with me or not. Some cars to stay away from would be nice thanks!!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Re: Whats lurking?

Just curious, what mods do you have done to the car? Auto or stick?

Well the newer 4-bangers are pretty quick, I know the civic SI's would surely give you a run for your money if not best you, given they would have to be decently new...

uummm well not sure of much else, don't really mess with little things besides the ever so persistent ricers... Lol

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Well, it all depends on your experience, I suppose. I have no idea what mods you have or what your 1/4 mile times or anything...

but word to the wise: Street racing isn't worth it.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

Well, it all depends on your experience, I suppose. I have no idea what mods you have or what your 1/4 mile times or anything...

but word to the wise: Street racing isn't worth it.
+1. A little fun her and there you can get away with. But if you want to race, get to a track... and your car would need some serious work to make those numbers...
Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

need to know mods to tell you what to stay away from...

but almost anything 06+ will prob own you.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Whats lurking??

I am so lost by what it is you are asking? and I know of a lot of teens that have cars that are guaranteed to be faster than your 99v6? I am just so confused as to if you asking what kind of cars?

I can name a bunch of cars that I remember from when I was a 16
Eclipse GSX/Talon TSI
Stealth RT/3000gtVR4
Mustang GT
Camaro SS/Z28

But there is no way to tell a car to steer clear of unless you know the owner and what they have underneath the hood, you'll never know any other way because you could very well pull up to a meaningless s2000 and find out, oh crap it has a 2003-04 Termi Motor Swap in it

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Damn! That's my kind of Honda! :Headbang:
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

What do you have done to your car to be running 230-240 hp?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have a CAI, intake chip, and dual pipes with one cat ( I hear there illegal cuz they're suppose to have 2?) The common eclipse, tiburon, camaro, firebird, etc. should I be scared of those? Take note that these are teenagers so they aren't 2010's lol. Normally 1995-2004 are the years I see.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
I have a CAI, intake chip, and dual pipes with one cat ( I hear there illegal cuz they're suppose to have 2?) The common eclipse, tiburon, camaro, firebird, etc. should I be scared of those? Take note that these are teenagers so they aren't 2010's lol. Normally 1995-2004 are the years I see.
Wait....and that has you at 230-240 hp? And, what is an intake chip?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not positive on that, don't get me wrong. Chip is suppose to get 30 hp, CAI 5-10, the pipes 3-6 hp? It's from what I've been told. I'm not exactly car brilliant, but I like to learn more and new things.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

My friend has the same 'mods' besides the pipes, and he is a pretty good driver. Why does my stang leave his by car lengths? His is an 03. Could it be mines the performance package v6? If they made that back then. He thinks it's cuz it's the 35th anniversary, surely not? mines a much more expensive car. Everything is electric. Seats, windows, cruise control, etc. both of ours are standards. Any ideas?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang
I'm not positive on that, don't get me wrong. Chip is suppose to get 30 hp, CAI 5-10, the pipes 3-6 hp? It's from what I've been told. I'm not exactly car brilliant, but I like to learn more and new things.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

My friend has the same 'mods' besides the pipes, and he is a pretty good driver. Why does my stang leave his by car lengths? His is an 03. Could it be mines the performance package v6? If they made that back then. He thinks it's cuz it's the 35th anniversary, surely not? mines a much more expensive car. Everything is electric. Seats, windows, cruise control, etc. both of ours are standards. Any ideas?
Ill be polite since you admitted you weren't sure. Those numbers you quoted are what I call marketing numbers. You are probably around 180 HP at the wheels assuming an intake chip means a custom tune and not those things from eBay.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
The common eclipse, tiburon, camaro, firebird, etc. should I be scared of those? Take note that these are teenagers so they aren't 2010's lol. Normally 1995-2004 are the years I see.
Anything newer then like an 07 is gonna be hard. Even my friends 4 cylinder focus almost beat me the other day. Oh and tibs can rip.
willrad00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So if I was to race a guys eclipse gt, v6. Would I lose? He may have a catback but that's about all. His is an 02-03. And could you explain about my earlier post about me vs my friends stang? Please I like to learn as much as possible

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Oh an I thought the 99-04 stangs stock came with 193 hp? I'm guessing when you say that I have 180 on the ground, that's what's not peeling out? How much would you say a stock mustang comes with hp to the ground, if I have 180?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Oh an I thought the 99-04 stangs stock came with 193 hp? I'm guessing when you say that I have 180 on the ground, that's what's not peeling out? How much would you say a stock mustang comes with hp to the ground, if I have 180?
In stock fashion, your car is putting down around 165-170 to the ground. It comes with 193 like you said, however that's at the flywheel. You lose between 15-20% (manual - auto) by the time it hits the wheels.

Also, those numbers that retailers claim to sell parts are also typically rated as flywheel numbers. Many times they are just roughly made up numbers as when you buy the parts and do before and after dyno pulls you usually don't get near the reported gains.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thank you so much, any idea on my mustang vs my friends mustang post I made?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Your friends car is stock, your's isn't. Is your friend's and manual or an auto? Is your's a manual or an auto?

If your's is a manual and you can shift well and his auto, you should eat his lunch all day long. If your's is an auto and his a manual and he sucks at shifting, you'll eat his lunch all day long. If y'all are both manuals and one can drive and the other can't, the driver will eat the other's lunch all day long.

Your mods (assuming an intake chip is a custom tune), your car should be ahead of his all day with all other things equal. The tune gives a greater advantage, specially if you have an auto with better shift points.

Also keep in mind, just because his is an 03, doesn't mean it has more performance. It's the same car stock for stock...so...it's all equal.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

They are both manuals. He had the chip, and CAI when Mine was stock and I beat him. Also same scenario with our cars, he got beat by my friends 09 diesel 3500 ram by a truck length, then he jumped in my car and beat it by a truck length, so it's like my car was faster since same driver.. I feel like my 1-2 gear is stronger than his but it's the same car so prolly not.. I wanna have an answer for him, it stumps me. Plus I just like having mustang knowledge. I have slowly turned in a mustang/ford fanatic. Will never own anything other than.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

If both are manuals, then it's all in the driver. Your buddy probably shifts real slow where as you probably shift a little quicker. If it was from a dig, then you probably launched better than he did.

Case in point, I have a 10 second cobra if you compare it to other cobras that have the same horsepower levels as mine. Mine should run in the mid to upper 10s all day long. However, with me driving, it's all I can do to break into the 11s. Reason being I can't launch the car to save my life. So even though I have the power to go 10s, that doesn't mean I will run 10s. With manuals, the driver mod can make a world of difference.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's kinda funny because he always brags about how great of a driver he is. Should I stay away from eclipse gt's, v6 camaro's, v6 firebirds? I don't wanna get whipped lol.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Honestly, the only thing I know about V6's as far as racing goes is that I can beat one when launching in 3rd gear. Outside of that, I haven't paid much attention to how they fair in races.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I don't see many kids with a camaro ss lol. Things I mean is like eclipse gt, v6 camaro, v6 tiburon, etc.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Tibs haul ***, unless i know their 100% stock i dont mess with them.
willrad00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Back when i was a teen had a bunch of budys we ran with i bought my 03 cobra when i was 17 that i just sold. Ha a friend with a 02 ss 408 stroker with spray and couple of other budys with some bad stuff. U be suprised what kids running around in nowdays. My 18 your old cousin has a 2000 gt with a 5.4 bored to a 5.7 with 150 shot. So u be suprised
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless04GT View Post
But there is no way to tell a car to steer clear of unless you know the owner and what they have underneath the hood, you'll never know any other way because you could very well pull up to a meaningless s2000 and find out, oh crap it has a 2003-04 Termi Motor Swap in it

Exactly. You'll never know what anyone is packing unless you know them :p And I'm also curious about what mods you have lol
Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm only 20 when I waz in high school u would see hondas like my bros he had an s2k yhT would mopp my 2003 m3 I also seen a lot of hondas to
2001mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm from a town of 20k so it's not exactly a rich city lol. In Texas, bunch of country people with their diesels and stuff mainly. But also kids with eclipse gts camaro v6's and firebirds. I'm really interested in the idea of me beating any of those. Can it be done? Especially camaros

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless04GT View Post
I am so lost by what it is you are asking? and I know of a lot of teens that have cars that are guaranteed to be faster than your 99v6? I am just so confused as to if you asking what kind of cars?

I can name a bunch of cars that I remember from when I was a 16
Eclipse GSX/Talon TSI
Stealth RT/3000gtVR4
Mustang GT
Camaro SS/Z28

Ewwww.... I wouldn't take an 03cobra motor in an s2k if you paid me!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's kinda funny because he always brags about how great of a driver he is. Should I stay away from eclipse gt's, v6 camaro's, v6 firebirds? I don't wanna get whipped lol.
Y not? If you will only pull against slower cars there is no point... Ill gi e anyone a pull and I don't care who is in the other lane at the strip. If you guys want to see who is faster, get to a drag strip...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Pride lol I love my mustang and don't wanna degrade it in my eyes

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Pride is taking any challenge win or lose and not making excuses for your car but saying " yeah it's slower but I still like it more than yours" type of thing. Only racing sure wins doesn't say much for the car except that you can beat 100 hp go carts.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
... yeah pride isn't winning every race
.. its being legit and not running your mouth. Take pride in how you maintain your car, not in your kill count. Its more fun to just enjoy yourself, if you can't do that... what's the point?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

True. I enjoy my car so much. I love it. Very nice compared to others. I just am competitive and hate to lose normally what beats me is newer cars. I'm just a college kid so no really new vehicle yet

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #35
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
True. I enjoy my car so much. I love it. Very nice compared to others. I just am competitive and hate to lose normally what beats me is newer cars. I'm just a college kid so no really new vehicle yet
no offense, but being competitive doesn't exactly equal out to knowing what you can beat and only racing those certain cars.

so say this guy wants to race, and you know you can beat his car. you take the challenge and win. his friend comes up and says i'm next. but its a car you know you can't beat... you gonna leave with your tail between your legs or say let's go and give it your best shot?
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang