Starter..Altenator..or both? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #1

Region: Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to MuStAnGcHIk88
Question Starter..Altenator..or both?

Ok guys here is my question of concern.. the other day the mustang wouldnt start, so right off i figured the battery was bad..it is kinda old..so i got a new one.. put it in and the car still wouldnt start..ok..so i was wondering could it be the starter or altenator or both? It sounds like it wants to turn over but it doesnt..it just clicks. The car still is dead though with the new battery which is confusing me, the battery level in the car is midway like it should but when u go to start the car nothing turns over..what could be causing this?
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
Re: Starter..Altenator..or both?

Of the 2, it should be the starter. If the alternator were bad, the car would still crank and run off just the battery alone for a period of time (until it wears down).
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #3

Region: Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to MuStAnGcHIk88

ok...c i was telling my friend that ( of course he thingks heknows all) that an alt. doesnt run until the car is started..but u know how "know it alls" r..lol
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04

It's your starter, an easy fix for most Fords is to get someone under the car to tap on the starter a few times while someone else tries to crank the engine, this will normally get it going. Fords are notorious for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

That Is Very True It Could Have A Bad Spot And If You Hit It It Will Crank. See Your Altenator Just Charges The Battery Back Up And If Your Altenator Went Bad You Would Have Heard A Wining Sound When You Cut It Off And Cold Only Make It Maybe 2 Miled Own The Battery Before Having To Jump It Back Off. So It Deff The Starter The Electricity From The Battery Goes Diretly To The Starter Plate Which Engages The Starte To Crank The Car When It Cranked The Belt Turns The Alternator Pull Which Charges Up The Battery. So If It Wont Crank It The Starter.especially If It Is A Continous Click One Or Two Clicks Could Be A Bad Battery If It Trying To Turn And Clicks It The Starter.
customsixstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

Well I have not had this problem with my stang, but my old f 150 would not start one day and it turned out to be the stator. this is also a cheap quick fix. FYI on stators NEVER GET THE CHEAP BRAND. they will always fail. I found this the hard way, a few times.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang