Rear Shock Tower Brace - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Tennessee
Rear Shock Tower Brace

so i'm making a RSTB out of an '05+ panhard bar my friend gave me last month when he bought a GT500 (he didn't need it anymore lol)...

I've drilled out the beads and have ground down the bearings on either side so i can weld them into place...i know at this stage it would be strong enough to do the job well. however i'm contemplating adding in some triangle pieces from the bar to the shock tower to add some extra strength...

Anyone on here have a RSTB on their sixxer and if so does yours have extra bracing or do you consider the bar by itself more then enough.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

heck this can include even the GT guys if they lurk this section and see this thread...
SonicBoom239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Re: Rear Shock Tower Brace

i wouldn't bother putting anything else in there unless you don't feel confident that you can get enough contact area to weld the bar in, in that case yes add some small-ish supportive plates to ensure you don't have any torsion/tension ripping the welds apart.....

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
Road Trip!

that was my next concern...this car does see the Dragons Tail quite a bit...and i know a road doesn't sound like much of a challenge...it can be just that. To give an idea on how crazy it gets....here is a picture of my car with stock suspension just coming off of a curve about to hit another one (thank god for upgraded brakes)...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

it's rocking side to side a little haha it couldn't hurt if you have the time to do a little extra support to it, if you have a welder and a good cutter for the extra metal it would be a small task anways...

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 12-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
Road Trip!

yeah it's shifting quite a bit...which is why i love those photographers that stand there all day taking pics of the cars and bikes taking that road. Good way to see how it's coping with the turns....of course it was worse for the guy in front of me that would kick his rear on every turn...he had a 99 v6...only difference is i have a solid rear sway bar from a GT...he didn't
Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yeah if i ever find a gt at the junkyard i'm getting a rear sway bar for mine, i know they work from 79-04 but the question i have which gt sway bar is the best, i know the cobra's are obviously the better choice, but......that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack around here, didn't some of the gt's come with better (thicker) sway bars than others? (certain years)

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
Road Trip!

yes some GTs had solid bars and some had hollow bars...i've passed up a few hollow bars until i found a solid one for $30 from a friend that works for a mustang performance shop here in TN. I also need to hit them up for a set of FLSFC...but that's going to have to wait till the new year. I'm selling my Saleen spoiler to a guy on MM that lives in TN so i should have the money then to get some things set.

It's funny because i'm making this car to handle and brake way better then factory..then come may i won't even be driving it...since i'm giving it to my fiance. I really don't need to drop to much into this car lol
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom239 View Post
yes some GTs had solid bars and some had hollow bars...i've passed up a few hollow bars until i found a solid one for $30 from a friend that works for a mustang performance shop here in TN. I also need to hit them up for a set of FLSFC...but that's going to have to wait till the new year. I'm selling my Saleen spoiler to a guy on MM that lives in TN so i should have the money then to get some things set.

It's funny because i'm making this car to handle and brake way better then factory..then come may i won't even be driving it...since i'm giving it to my fiance. I really don't need to drop to much into this car lol
stupid question i'm sure but are they hollow enough to where you can hit it with a wrench and hear the hollow sound still? i'm assuming the newer the better on the chances of it being a solid one?

so you going to get another GT this time around or are you going a different route?

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
Road Trip!

You can desk the weight of it and tell...I never thumped it so I can't tell to that.

As for what's next...either another GT or if my friend was serious about selling his car come spring a sonic blue svt focus.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

get the stang -_- ........................ lol

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
get the stang -_- ........................ lol
I might....either way it will be a dd/track car. The focus would be nice though with a nice turbo setup like rdy4war has....but ill most likely get the GT....depends on funds...come spring time he would sell the focus just to get out of the payments lol...which only have about 6k left
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i wouldn't bother putting anything else in there unless you don't feel confident that you can get enough contact area to weld the bar in, in that case yes add some small-ish supportive plates to ensure you don't have any torsion/tension ripping the welds apart.....
a v6 doesnt have enough power to rip the welds apart on launches oh wait....im in the wrong thread. carry on.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6procharged View Post
a v6 doesnt have enough power to rip the welds apart on launches oh wait....im in the wrong thread. carry on.
i'm not worried about the power causing problems but the stress of 311 curves at speed...i really love this road
Old 12-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i'm not worried about the power causing problems but the stress of 311 curves at speed...i really love this road
word. why weld the RSTB when they bolt in...
Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
word. why weld the RSTB when they bolt in...
i made my own out of an '05+ panhard bar so bolting it in might not be an option...the ends do have mounting holes there from where the bearing were in there that i took out. once i pull the carpet out i should be able to see if it'll mount or not without welding.i know it's wide enough to fit because a guy on MM has done this...but i can't find his thread to see if it's bolted or welded
Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i made my own out of an '05+ panhard bar so bolting it in might not be an option...the ends do have mounting holes there from where the bearing were in there that i took out. once i pull the carpet out i should be able to see if it'll mount or not without welding.i know it's wide enough to fit because a guy on MM has done this...but i can't find his thread to see if it's bolted or welded
i would just bolt it in, im sure it wouldnt be too hard to figure it out. that way it can be removed, easily lol.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
i would just bolt it in, im sure it wouldnt be too hard to figure it out. that way it can be removed, easily lol.
hmm i may have to drill some mounting points if i have to...wouldn't be hard
Old 12-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hmm i may have to drill some mounting points if i have to...wouldn't be hard
couldnt bolt it on the shock tower like the rest of them? take off the nut, stick it on, then put nut back on.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
couldnt bolt it on the shock tower like the rest of them? take off the nut, stick it on, then put nut back on.
Lol it's not made for his car Brandon.... It's not a direct fit application

Edit: I like the new sig Wendell, maybe they'll understand..... Lol

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol it's not made for his car Brandon.... It's not a direct fit application

Edit: I like the new sig Wendell, maybe they'll understand..... Lol
i know this. it has holes where the bearings used to be, its long enough to go across, if too long cut it and weld it back together, put it on like it was made for the car. all you need is a bar with a hole on each end. not too hard.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You could do that, but you would have to be sure to weld up the bar very carefully, I guess you could grind it down and repaint to make it look good

blower/new cam soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang