02 Mustang V6 coil question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
02 Mustang V6 coil question?

I have some hesitation in my 2002 3.8V6 when maintaining a steady speed or starting to climb a hill. It also does it if needed to quickly accelarate. I've bene told that there there may be a problem with the ignition coil/s. there is no SES light, and no code being given off to read from a scanner. This is where the confusion sets in. I was told that there is an ignition coil that sits on top of every spark plug and one of these may be going bad. However, from my looking at parts...there seems to be just a square looking "ignition pack" that connects to the plug wires and is mounted on top of the engine, to one side of the throttle body.

It seems the V8's have the individual ignition coils on every plug/cyclinder. Am I wrong ?
powellst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: 02 Mustang V6 coil question?

I hope someone answers this question cause my 2001 v6 has been doing the same with the hesitation

I think you are right about the gts
Our v6s dont have individual ones just the 1 coil pack

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
So you have plug wires then? Don't seem to confident lol. If you think the wires are bad spray salt water on them while running, if they ate bad you'll see some sparking, but nothing dangerous!
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

95mustang gt,

Thanks for the reply...yeah, of course I got spark plug wires. I'm taking your comment in a light hearted manner, because I'd hate to think that someone that came here for legitimate advice would get a crass answer. Just wasn't sure what type coil I actually had because I was getting different information from two different people, and this is my first Mustang, let alone American car in quite some time.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The only time i changed a coil pack was when the dam thing two of them different work the car ran hard and wasting gas lol
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Road Trip!

google this and you'll find 2453563 threads.

Coil packs are on the top 3 of things to go out on these cars. Mine just did at 55k miles.

P or N it would rev just fine. In D under a load (just means your driving, not up hill or some crap), It would miss between 2k-3k rpm ONLY.

So what I did:
Pulled the spark plugs (5 months old at the time), the looked great.
Went to auto store, bought new plug wires and new coil pack;
Put wires on, didn't solve problem, put stock ones back on, cleaned the new ones off, ended up taking back for full refund.
Anyways, same night, I changed that coil pack, Fixed.

Do it in that order, but im 75% sure its the coil pack.
SenorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMike View Post
google this and you'll find 2453563 threads.

Coil packs are on the top 3 of things to go out on these cars. Mine just did at 55k miles.
Do it in that order, but im 75% sure its the coil pack.
SenorMike,

Thanks for the reply. So far all the consensus seems to come around that the coil pack is probably the culprit. I just picked up my 02 in November for a great deal. The previous owner was a retired gentleman that simply didn't drive it very much. It had 45,000 miles on the clock. Not bad for a 10 year old car. Although, that could be part of the problem, is that it wasn't used alot.

The plugs and wires and fuel filter are all things that probably needed changed anyway in 10 years as preventative maintenance. I'll go ahead and pick up a coil pack , too and see where I'm at after all that. Hopefully, will be good to go. Previous owner installed new tires, new battery, new wipers, and with what I've done, should be like a new ride.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellst View Post
SenorMike,

Thanks for the reply. So far all the consensus seems to come around that the coil pack is probably the culprit. I just picked up my 02 in November for a great deal. The previous owner was a retired gentleman that simply didn't drive it very much. It had 45,000 miles on the clock. Not bad for a 10 year old car. Although, that could be part of the problem, is that it wasn't used alot.

The plugs and wires and fuel filter are all things that probably needed changed anyway in 10 years as preventative maintenance. I'll go ahead and pick up a coil pack , too and see where I'm at after all that. Hopefully, will be good to go. Previous owner installed new tires, new battery, new wipers, and with what I've done, should be like a new ride.
yes yes ! wires you might hold off on if you want to save A dime or two, probably wont need them yet.

But sounds like you got a good deal !

Friend of mine just told me he picked up a 99 or something like that from a guy that was about to move, wanted like 1500 for it or something, wasn't running right. Friend ended up buying for 700 and runs like a new car wiht the new coil pack

Ohhh and #1 advice. Buy OE Ford/Motorcraft products only
SenorMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang