Cold Air Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Cold Air Intake

Finally...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120107_102220.png
Views:	312
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	37510
V6Mustang40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Looks nice I love th sound of mine

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang
Looks nice I love th sound of mine
Me too, and it's alot more responsive than before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Badass!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Best $75 I've spent on it.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Where did you get it for 75 bucks from? It looks great too!
Timm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Cold Air Intake

I got mine from American Muscle for the same price.
bobbytheapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Ugh, you guys are so lucky parts are so inexpensive for your motors. The intake I want is $400 but it requires a tune so there's another $350!
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Ugh, you guys are so lucky parts are so inexpensive for your motors. The intake I want is $400 but it requires a tune so there's another $350!
Worst part is that your parts will likely never be as cheap cause they keep changing things up, and will probably never sell the volume required to lower the prices. That and I don't think there's really that much cost diff in producing them.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Yeah, that's what I get for trying to be cool. Lol When I finally do get one, it's gonna be the last CAI I buy for that car!!! Lol
Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm04
Where did you get it for 75 bucks from? It looks great too!
American muscle
Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Tennessee

waste of money, but as long as you like it that's all that matters in the long run
SonicBoom239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't say a total waste..

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I wouldn't say a total waste..
i would...read Disclaimer lol
Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom239
waste of money, but as long as you like it that's all that matters in the long run
Could you elaborate as to why you believe this? I mean are you saying all CAI's are a waste, or just the cheaper ones? Quality bad or performance is lacking? Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think if they was a waste of money, ppl that obviously know what there doing wouldn't put them on their car. People that im talking about put things like cams, headers, tunes, etc into their car.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

why is a CAI as waste of money ? please explain
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
For the home mechanic a cai is a very easy mod that provides a mild performance boost and mild incress in fuel economy while adding a nicer throtier sound to the engine. These effects can also be improved appon by combining a cai with a tune such as a bama chip. It takes very little time to do and when ur done u feel good about getting ur hands dirty a little on ur own ride. For all those reasons a cai is diffanitly NOT a waste of time but "what ever you say bro"
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

He has no idea what he's talking about. Just because something has a disclaimer doesn't mean it's bad
Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Everything has a disclaimer now a days cuz everyone is sue happy. Just save their ***

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang
Everything has a disclaimer now a days cuz everyone is sue happy. Just save their ***
'Disclaimers' don't mean jack **** here.. get it? Got it? Good
Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Lol >
Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Looks real good in the engine bay. CAI's are a great first mod to do. It's not overly difficult and is a good way for a new mustang owner to get to know his car.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Looks real good in the engine bay. CAI's are a great first mod to do. It's not overly difficult and is a good way for a new mustang owner to get to know his car.
I agree
Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
+1

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Exactly what i was trying to say so +1
Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #27
Road Trip!

CAI is a noob mod.

Once you get into it and realize the dyno proven data is out there you'll see.
The 300+ dollar ones made out of that special plastic **** are gonna be the best of the CAI's cause it'll take longer for them to warm up. But the cheap 75$ metal ones heat up so quickly it really doesn't matter. If you plan on doing some really nice mods, you might as well take the snorkle out of your stock intake and put a decent filter in there. They designed the stock one quite well.

I will say they sound better though.

You could just as easy cut some PVC and paint it and mount tha stuff on it **** if you got enough stuff, buying a filter would be the biggest cost if you dont mind playing with stuff.

Not a thing for everyone though

But just FYI if you upgrade the filter and take the snorkle out, your doing about as much good as a CAI. Its the actual intakes and heads that are the biggest retrictions.
So anything from the TB out isn't gonna get you far.

The big guys who do cams and all that need usually need something even better then stock. Once you solve the heads/intakes problem, the a bigger TB and CAI is gonna actually help some.

This is where the Windstar swap comes in. Dont buy a 200+ dollar 65mm TB and a 100+$ CAI. Your 3/4 the price of a windstar kit. One you get it, you've got a much better upper intake, that weighs less, and you can get a 65mm tb for much cheaper on it, and it comes with CAI stuff. Something w/ proven gains that are much better. Then you just gotta work on that lower intake and heads.

And stfu and dont get offended by my first 5 words. I owned one once before.
SenorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Obviously it's a noob mod, it's the 1st thing you do I my opinion
Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMike
CAI is a noob mod.

The 300+ dollar ones made out of that special plastic **** are gonna be the best of the CAI's cause it'll take longer for them to warm up. But the cheap 75$ metal ones heat up so quickly it really doesn't matter. If you plan on doing some really nice mods, you might as well take the snorkle out of your stock intake and put a decent filter in there. They designed the stock one quite well.

You could just as easy cut some PVC and paint it and mount tha stuff on it **** if you got enough stuff, buying a filter would be the biggest cost if you dont mind playing with stuff.

But just FYI if you upgrade the filter and take the snorkle out, your doing about as much good as a CAI. Its the actual intakes and heads that are the biggest retrictions.

The big guys who do cams and all that need usually need something even better then stock. Once you solve the heads/intakes problem, the a bigger TB and CAI is gonna actually help some.

This is where the Windstar swap comes in. Dont buy a 200+ dollar 65mm TB and a 100+$ CAI. Your 3/4 the price of a windstar kit. One you get it, you've got a much better upper intake, that weighs less, and you can get a 65mm tb for much cheaper on it, and it comes with CAI stuff. Something w/ proven gains that are much better. Then you just gotta work on that lower intake and heads.

Who r u talking to? The point was what ever it takes to gain alittle pride in ur ride and everybody knows theres allways better stuff out there and its always buyer beware because some r only for looks and well dosent matter i know for a fact k&n kits work i saw gains and the sound is awsome... Also im pretty sure 90% of the ppl out there moding there cars know cai is very "noob" as u put it to do thats why there populer anyone can put one on.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Who r u talking to? The point was what ever it takes to gain alittle pride in ur ride and everybody knows theres allways better stuff out there and its always buyer beware because some r only for looks and well dosent matter i know for a fact k&n kits work i saw gains and the sound is awsome... Also im pretty sure 90% of the ppl out there moding there cars know cai is very "noob" as u put it to do thats why there populer anyone can put one on.
Calm down bro, that was a general statement to several comments in here.

Just saying as to why the CAI isn't the best way to go. I was there and did that once.

Its just important to not spend money on stuff you dont need. Id love that 75$ right now since the CAI kit is sitting in a box covered in spider webs ...
Thats the biggest point several of us bigger modded guys try to make...

Make some plans, if your gonna buy a windstar kit sooner or later, dont waste your money on a CAI thats aa huge portion of the kit cost ya know ?

We try to help people if they decided to try and make some good power to not waste money that will be needed later. Everyone is "on a budget" ... And if your never gonna get to the serious stuff, then sure, get the cheap CAI.

Its a great thing to do at first if your not going any further.

But like some places claim, it does not give you 10hp/tq on these cars.
and thats my other point at hand.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Mine dynoed 7 hp more at the rear tires so... Any way im cool bro just made my comment because ur telling ppl to stfu fact is i have done and am working on "larger mods" heck im putting a strocked 351w in my ride the 75 bucks is nothing compaired to feeling accomplished in doing something and for the general consumer being able to do any mod is a good mod.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Mine dynoed 7 hp more at the rear tires so... Any way im cool bro just made my comment because ur telling ppl to stfu fact is i have done and am working on "larger mods" heck im putting a strocked 351w in my ride the 75 bucks is nothing compaired to feeling accomplished in doing something and for the general consumer being able to do any mod is a good mod.
And im just saying, a good filter and takign the snorkle off the stock intake would be half that

And no one said stfu, just giving the info as to why people say a CAI is a 'waste'

I have no reason to say no to doing it, like I said I bought one. My point is, if you plan on really going "big" w/ your V6. Dont blow it on that stuff.

If your going to keep it simple, get a cat back and a CAI and be happy
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMike
CAI is a noob mod.

Snorkel Lmmfao.. Taking the silencer off makes ZERO difference dyno tested tried and true. The only time the difference between metal and plastic matters in terms of heat soak is at the drag strip or dyno and no race is won on a dyno. On the highway everything becomes heat soaked.

Please refrain from telling ppl to STFU. First last and final warning in regards.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Snorkel Lmmfao.. Taking the silencer off makes ZERO difference dyno tested tried and true. The only time the difference between metal and plastic matters in terms of heat soak is at the drag strip or dyno and no race is won on a dyno. On the highway everything becomes heat soaked.

Please refrain from telling ppl to STFU. First last and final warning in regards.
dyno proven you say...because we dyno tested the snorkel with a drop in and saw the same increase a full CAI nets...

understand this...you know nothing about a 3.8/3.9 as far as what something does....you might have knowledge on engines in general..but for what does what on our little push rods...not so much...not trying to play who's got the bigger stick...just trying to help out this section which needs it badly

As for people complaining about my waste of money comment...it is just that..when compared to other options out there a CAI is just a visual mod...oh wow a mpg and a couple ponies...not for my $70+

yes it looks pretty under his hood...and with the whistle a CAI gives i'm sure in his butt dyno he feels like he just free'd the beast....but, and i can't stress this enough...it is just not worth it IMO.

Now you want to put a CAI on your car i'd be more then happy to link you to a site where a friend made one out of $30ish in parts...in a PM of course so as to not upset mods

If anyone has any in-depth questions feel free to pm me
Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom239

dyno proven you say...because we dyno tested the snorkel with a drop in and saw the same increase a full CAI nets...

understand this...you know nothing about a 3.8/3.9 as far as what does something....you might have knowledge on engines in general..but for what does what on our little push rods...not so much...

As for people complaining about my waste of money comment...it is just that..when compared to other options out there a CAI is just a visual mod...oh wow a mpg and a couple ponies...not for my $70+

yes it looks pretty under his hood...and with the whistle a CAI gives i'm sure in his butt dyno he feels like he just free'd the beast....but, and i can't stress this enough...it is just not worth it IMO.

Now you want to put a CAI on your car i'd be more then happy to link you to a site where a friend made one out of $30ish in parts...in a PM of course so as to not upset mods

If anyone has any in-depth questions feel free to pm me
It's called a silencer for a reason, and what does or actually doesn't do was proven 20years ago. It's not about upsetting the mods it's forum rules.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake