Gasket blown - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Gasket blown

Just replaced oil filter, did an oil change and replaced fuel filter, spark plugs. I toke it for a drive and it was fine, went and got something to eat then got back in, started it up and it didn't start very well. Drove it on the road and I was puking white smoke, and my car was shaking pretty bad. Talked to my dad and he says I blew a gasket......great!

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Gonna have to replace em both, never done it before. Anyone got any documents of some sort to take apart the engine for a blown gasket?
Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Ouch.. Good luck man I wish you the best, i am no help though. How many miles on it?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, and it has 204000, around there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Head gaskets suck to replace, not cheap. I had a 94 that blew its head gasket. It was swapped for a 98 motor as they were not supposed to be as susceptible to head gasket issues. Time consuming to replace them yourself, and you should still have ttyhe block checked and the heads shaved for a nice flat surface for the new gasket.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution
Thanks, and it has 204000, around there.
That's a good amount of miles. How many did you put on it?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

To be of more help I'd say to go pick up a chilton or Haynes repair book. Great investment for a new grease monkey, can be had for about 25 bucks at your favorite auto parts store.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
To be of more help I'd say to go pick up a chilton or Haynes repair book. Great investment for a new grease monkey, can be had for about 25 bucks at your favorite auto parts store.
Good advise!! Sometimes they can be had cheaper too! If you need one cheap try half.com.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Re: Gasket blown

Never broken down a single port. But a split port isn't that bad of a change.

Just doing it myself right now infact.

Your gonna need a basic tool kit. Mines a 200 something peice craftsman kit. Ive got a few extra tools n stuff here n there.

+1 to buying a Chiltons, thats what I used.

Basically gonna wanna drain that oil incase you got coolant in it.
Drain coolant down.

And get a camera !!!! If this is your first time ti dig through the engine seriously you'll want to take lots and lots of pictures so you know how things go back together ! very important!

Anyways, unhook battery, and start removing things, accessories, ignition, upper intake, then lower, then you'll have access to the heads, head bolts are a ***** to remove, tty bolts are tight as hell, get them out and lift your heads. Aluminum is damaged easily. So be carefull with the heads. you'll want to have them checked at a machine shop also for warp. Sometimes head gaskets just fail. early sn95's were famous for this anyways. But sometimes over heating damage can cause it to warp and kill the gasket.

Clean things up and check it well.

You'll need gaskets to put it all back together.

For the split port, I spent about 45$ ish per head gasket straight from a ford dealer ship. Fel Pro from your local auto will be fine im sure. Then I went to auto store, picked up two boxes of head bolts, and a lower intake gasket set. and some thread locker and sealant. That purchase was right around 100$.

So your already looking at 200 in parts.

Just know this is a "big" project, but you can do it if you want to. But it sounds like your dad may know or thing or two, so im sure he can help you out alot ! Good luck ! maybe someone w/ more single port knowledge can refine that.
SenorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

That's a good amount of miles. How many did you put on it?
About 2,000, I've had lots of problems with my car, last owner was a real dumbass.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMike
Never broken down a single port. But a split port isn't that bad of a change.

Just doing it myself right now infact.

Your gonna need a basic tool kit. Mines a 200 something peice craftsman kit. Ive got a few extra tools n stuff here n there.

+1 to buying a Chiltons, thats what I used.

Basically gonna wanna drain that oil incase you got coolant in it.
Drain coolant down.

And get a camera !!!! If this is your first time ti dig through the engine seriously you'll want to take lots and lots of pictures so you know how things go back together ! very important!

Anyways, unhook battery, and start removing things, accessories, ignition, upper intake, then lower, then you'll have access to the heads, head bolts are a ***** to remove, tty bolts are tight as hell, get them out and lift your heads. Aluminum is damaged easily. So be carefull with the heads. you'll want to have them checked at a machine shop also for warp. Sometimes head gaskets just fail. early sn95's were famous for this anyways. But sometimes over heating damage can cause it to warp and kill the gasket.

Clean things up and check it well.

You'll need gaskets to put it all back together.

For the split port, I spent about 45$ ish per head gasket straight from a ford dealer ship. Fel Pro from your local auto will be fine im sure. Then I went to auto store, picked up two boxes of head bolts, and a lower intake gasket set. and some thread locker and sealant. That purchase was right around 100$.

So your already looking at 200 in parts.

Just know this is a "big" project, but you can do it if you want to. But it sounds like your dad may know or thing or two, so im sure he can help you out alot ! Good luck ! maybe someone w/ more single port knowledge can refine that.
Alright, cool! Thanks that helped a lot. Ill look into buying one of those books, I'm doing the gasket this weekend so I'll see how it goes. Looks like I'm taking the bus to school this week

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Are the 96, v6 mustangs split port?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Road Trip!

you need to do both heads, and if you do things properly a machine shop needs to test your heads ... If something is wrong with the heads it'll just blow again.

And 99-2004 are split port. 98 and earlier are single.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you have to buy new head bolts too.. they are stretched when they are torqued down.. one time use bolt
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Got the upper intake manifold removed, do I have to remove each injector from the head or just remove the lines? And how?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you have to buy new head bolts too.. they are stretched when they are torqued down.. one time use bolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
Got the upper intake manifold removed, do I have to remove each injector from the head or just remove the lines? And how?
mine are the tty bolts that you do have to replace each time, Im sure his are the same. Do NOT reuse your head bolts.

On my car, the injectors are held in the heads by a rubber O ring. They'll just pop out all together. I just lifted them and left them on the fuel rail.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I know this is a split port but ... close enough ... but far enough at the same time lol

Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok, yea I'm just about there, not too much more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3021761040.png
Views:	169
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	37744   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4214867231.png
Views:	139
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	37745  

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
Road Trip!

OMG thankfully I decided to play with my split port and not a single port. What a cluster **** those things are lol
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Haa yea! Pain in the *** man! But we had replaced the water pump recently so most of it wasn't new, took us 2 hours to get to that! And we just did an oil change 15 mins before the gasket blew....lol there goes $30.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Also do you mind taking a couple pics and/or describing where all the vacuum lines are? That would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on new head bolts
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok almost there! Having problems getting the far bolt on the drivers side on holding the head. And all of my bolts holding the head from the top were all unevenly tightened.... Anyways here are some pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1586584428.png
Views:	123
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	37887   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2695197226.png
Views:	148
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	37888  

Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Great job dude. Thats great motivation. The more pics the better. I have a single port also and I'm trying to learn right along with you. Good luck and thanks for the thread posting-
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Ok almost there! Having problems getting the far bolt on the drivers side on holding the head. And all of my bolts holding the head from the top were all unevenly tightened.... Anyways here are some pics!
tty bolts "stretch" so im sure thats part of your problem, unless someone has redone those ... lol

Their is a specific way to do them and I just want you to know its going to be a huge PITA when you go to install the heads with that brake booster in the way ...

Id look into pulling that or pulling the whole motor lol.

Im in the middle of the same project, bought stall while its out so im waiting on that before I put the motor back in, but anyways, I just pulled the whole damn motor just to do the gaskets
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ha yea well we would love to get the motor out but we don't have anyway to get it out. But we are taking the brake booster out, but even then it's hard to get enough leverage down there, I guess we'll see how it goes.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I believe someone did mess with those bolts, my dad was saying some of the stuff in there is not factory. So I'm guessing it wasn't a mechanic that went in there and changed them....not sure though, just a guess.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
Road Trip!

What year is it again ? 94&95 had alot of head gasket issues. 96 they changed size of heads and improved this problem. Also not sure when they bumped up to using a mls gasket.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Its a 96, but the previous owner had overheated the engine. I have visible heat cracks on the top of my hood.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Over heating a Iron engine w/ aluminum heads lol FAIL
Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Was this ur first oil change? Do u know what oil was used b4? its always a red flag when something happens right hafter some work was done, makes me think that something may not have been done right. Let's say the heads were already worped a little bit due to the overheat then u used an oil with less viscosity, maybe that was enough to make it happen. Even if u used the oild that the manual described, maybe it had high milage b4 or some lucas oil in it. Idk but id try to figure it out.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yes this was my first oil change on this car, I'm not sure what oil he used but I'll try and contact him. Thanks for the heads up though! Helps a lot.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

How about putting on an eaton m90 supercharger on? Would that be a good option?......took off the passenger side head. I'll post pics in a bit.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I think that's a problem....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-319682384.png
Views:	133
Size:	932.7 KB
ID:	37997  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Ewww
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Ouch that's no fun
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
How about putting on an eaton m90 supercharger on? Would that be a good option?......took off the passenger side head. I'll post pics in a bit.
you'll want the entire engine from a super coupe to swap on. Stock mustang heads aren't so great w/ the m90. And you'd have to drop the boost I think w/ a weak sauce mustang block lol

Quote:
I think that's a problem....
Mehhh maybe -_-

WTF kind of head gasket was used there ?

Ohh and you are officially the first person Ive ever seen post a picture of heads off a car and the spark plug still be in them lol
Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you'll want the entire engine from a super coupe to swap on. Stock mustang heads aren't so great w/ the m90. And you'd have to drop the boost I think w/ a weak sauce mustang block lol

Mehhh maybe -_-

WTF kind of head gasket was used there ?

Ohh and you are officially the first person Ive ever seen post a picture of heads off a car and the spark plug still be in them lol
So you would suggest no supercharger?
Ha thats funny, i didn't know you had to take em out, looked easier to leave them in.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
So you would suggest no supercharger?
Ha thats funny, i didn't know you had to take em out, looked easier to leave them in.
I just wouldn't risk damaging them. Plus once you break threads loose, usually easy enough to come out by hand.

Well Id say if you want the M90 set up to get a full supercoupe motor to swap over. You cant just bolt the m90 on to your car.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just wouldn't risk damaging them. Plus once you break threads loose, usually easy enough to come out by hand.

Well Id say if you want the M90 set up to get a full supercoupe motor to swap over. You cant just bolt the m90 on to your car.
Oh I see, and we just replaced them, they don't even have 30km driving with em. How much are supercoupe motors? Sounds like quite a job for just a supercharger.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Oh I see, and we just replaced them, they don't even have 30km driving with em. How much are supercoupe motors? Sounds like quite a job for just a supercharger.
lol depends on your skill level.

And pulling an engine isn't to hard.

Basically you need to pull yourengine from your tranny, drop in the SC engine and accsesories, a little custom wiring and some fabbing to AC lines and you have 215 crank HP and a bit mroe tq lol.

While you have that engine out throw some headers on it, a decent cam, and maybe do some porting work and a few adjustments to the m90 and you'll be having alot more fun.

Still not alot of power. Turbo is the way to go no matter what.

But depending on how you shop an m90 swap can be VERY cheap FI set up.

Ive seen complete motors from 350-1000. Find one cheap, do mods to make it work, new intercooler, tuner and dyno tune. Probably need bigger fuel pump and injectors if you dont leave it stock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang