98 GT vs 99 V6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
98 GT vs 99 V6?

Have a 99 manual V6 and my friend is looking at a 98 GT I think it's an auto. I was researching and I think I could take him! My car weighs 200 lbs less, but has 35 less HP and like 50Lbs of torque, around that atleast. I'm a decent driver and his car being an auto will be a tad but slower from what I've read. My v6 carries 193HP and 225 TQ, plus I got a CAI and chip. His will be stock. He carries about 225 HP and 275 tq I think? What are your guys thoughts if we raced and stuff, who'd win, if not me could I hang, etc?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
He is more like 215hp. Yea should be able to hang in there with good driving and good tires I'd say.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I read they had 215 on the 97 gt, and upped it to 225 on the 98's. I may be wrong tho.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang
I read they had 215 on the 97 gt, and upped it to 225 on the 98's. I may be wrong tho.
Ah, hell I maybe wrong lol either way, with his being auto you stand a punchers chance IMO. Be sure to let us know how it turns out!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If i remember right stock they ran 15 and our run 16 auto stock. So with some bolt on should be close
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Re: 98 GT vs 99 V6?

Ehh you have to look at more then just numbers.
Power Curve is another big issue.

This will depend on what race you are going for. Only hope would be a 5 speed and driving the hell out of it, but you cant launch for nothing with one wheel peels.

They have so much better low end and mid range that we lack I really dont think you'll have much of a chance honestly ... Really I cant think of any race you'd beat him.

1/8th his launch/traction will have you, his mid range has you so he'll get the 1/4 and your limiter is 120, Im sure he can go over. So no streets

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

I will add that I dont know what gearing a 98- GT has. If its 2.73s also you MIGHT stand a chance in the 1/8th lol
SenorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Look at the stock times gt 98 have 15 not that fast and our stock are 15 that gt won't reach the 1/4 mile over 110 stock. You have a chance a auto is slow. Look into a short shifter and I'm sure you have him
Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
Look at the stock times gt 98 have 15 not that fast and our stock are 15 that gt won't reach the 1/4 mile over 110 stock. You have a chance a auto is slow. Look into a short shifter and I'm sure you have him
gears and Tlok

And yeah he wont hit a 1/4 mile over 110, or 100, or 95. I hit the 1/4 at 95 ! lol
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMike

gears and Tlok

And yeah he wont hit a 1/4 mile over 110, or 100, or 95. I hit the 1/4 at 95 ! lol
I love my tlock cheap and not too bad to install. Worth it for a launch but i have almost ever bolt on so I can say what I felt was the best
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I want a tlok and a short throw shifter, but I'm not exactly a mechanic so I feel that I would have trouble, and I don't wanna do it wrong.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Tlock isn't too bad but i also did a jmod and shorty header. I think header were the harderst.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i think he will get you, you cant match his torque. will be a good race though.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I want a tlok and a short throw shifter, but I'm not exactly a mechanic so I feel that I would have trouble, and I don't wanna do it wrong.
understandable
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

The safest thing is to BET: Lunch or Dinner on that race or at least a Tank of GAS. Then you both can go home smiling. Don't underestimate Automatics, you can get your feelings Hurt.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
The safest thing is to BET: Lunch or Dinner on that race or at least a Tank of GAS. Then you both can go home smiling. Don't underestimate Automatics, you can get your feelings Hurt.
I have a auto and i did j-mod,tlock,spring,shock,tuner. All the mods I have helped but i feel like the launch still isn't the best and not much I can do except a bigger stall and gears but that like another 1000 for maybe .3 seconds
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Torque is KING , The GT will take you , and he will pull you even more on top end .....
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Me and my cousin have 03 GT's mines manual his auto. We are dead even but he still beats me barely. Being a V6 and a manual auto gt will more than likely win.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
I have a auto and i did j-mod,tlock,spring,shock,tuner. All the mods I have helped but i feel like the launch still isn't the best and not much I can do except a bigger stall and gears but that like another 1000 for maybe .3 seconds
if all you get w/ lower gears and a stall is .3 your doing it wrong :p
.3 on a stall alone. Auto 60's suck ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Me and my cousin have 03 GT's mines manual his auto. We are dead even but he still beats me barely. Being a V6 and a manual auto gt will more than likely win.
You need to work on a launch then, your 60' most be poo poo :p
Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Don't underestimate an auto!.. Unless there is something wrong with it, it will never miss a gear!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Don't underestimate an auto!.. Unless there is something wrong with it, it will never miss a gear!..
carefull what you wish for :p
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

carefull what you wish for :p
Not what I wish for!.. But I have outrun a few sticks because they missed a gear!!... Hahahaha. Funny thing is that their cars were actually faster!.. Lol

Or I should say!.. Their cars should have been faster!... Lol
Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Road Trip!

I went to the 1/4 for my first time to a drag strip to race ever. Got their about 5 mins before the gates open and started talkin to some guys, and they told me to follow and they'd help me out on getting started.

Anyways these guys were running new camaro's w/ roots blowers sitting on them and a couple of new vettes. So here is my n/a V6 stang haha. Anyways one guys said he'd race with me (w/ his SC maro), so we line up (he is an auto), he said he'd give me a head start and laughed. on my yellow i punch it, and never see him pass me the whole race, Im turning off in the back lane when I see him come across the line. Got back I said wtf was up with that head start lol ? He ended up hitting his auto into N hahahaha so an auto can miss a gear too :p He wasn't actually giving me a head start, he was like **** ... I just got beat by a damn V6 mustang
Old 01-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went to the 1/4 for my first time to a drag strip to race ever. Got their about 5 mins before the gates open and started talkin to some guys, and they told me to follow and they'd help me out on getting started.

Anyways these guys were running new camaro's w/ roots blowers sitting on them and a couple of new vettes. So here is my n/a V6 stang haha. Anyways one guys said he'd race with me (w/ his SC maro), so we line up (he is an auto), he said he'd give me a head start and laughed. on my yellow i punch it, and never see him pass me the whole race, Im turning off in the back lane when I see him come across the line. Got back I said wtf was up with that head start lol ? He ended up hitting his auto into N hahahaha so an auto can miss a gear too :p He wasn't actually giving me a head start, he was like **** ... I just got beat by a damn V6 mustang
Ya ya ya!!....
Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Ya ya ya!!....
the he runs 12's ...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

the he runs 12's ...
The he??... Is that like he haw?!?... Hahhahahahaha
Old 01-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
The he??... Is that like he haw?!?... Hahhahahahaha
lol my bad then*
Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol my bad then*
Oh I got ya!... For a moment there I thought you were turning into a back woods red neck!.. Lol.

I mean you do drive a Mustang!!... Lol.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #28
Road Trip!

and live in Tx
Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and live in Tx
I figured as much!!... Lol
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMike View Post

Ok, so he was trying to shift his gear into low 2 or 1 drive and mistakingly hit his Auto shift into Neutral and lost the Race that quick and because of that you think that ALL Automatics are slow and shift into Neutral all the time? That mistake that he made is not something that happens to everyone, DON'T bet your money on other people making that mistake, cause you will loose alot of money in the future. Automatics are the quickest shifts and no person (manual) can shift as fast constantly than that.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Ok, so he was trying to shift his gear into low 2 or 1 drive and mistakingly hit his Auto shift into Neutral and lost the Race that quick and because of that you think that ALL Automatics are slow and shift into Neutral all the time? That mistake that he made is not something that happens to everyone, DON'T bet your money on other people making that mistake, cause you will loose alot of money in the future. Automatics are the quickest shifts and no person (manual) can shift as fast constantly than that.
Its this stupidty thats going to get me banned from this site ...

Read back man .. Hell even I run an auto and Ive got a stall in the mail right now. The auto is the best for drag racing and everyone knows it, a good shift kit and stall w/ the right gearing rapes a manual all day long at the track....

I was just giving an example of how an auto isn't perfect if the driver makes a goober mistake and I never said he was shifting, they guy had his hand on the shift as he normally does and somehow bumped it out of D into N ... dont ask me what happen in his noggin to do that but he did.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMike View Post
Its this stupidty thats going to get me banned from this site ...

Read back man .. Hell even I run an auto and Ive got a stall in the mail right now. The auto is the best for drag racing and everyone knows it, a good shift kit and stall w/ the right gearing rapes a manual all day long at the track....

I was just giving an example of how an auto isn't perfect if the driver makes a goober mistake and I never said he was shifting, they guy had his hand on the shift as he normally does and somehow bumped it out of D into N ... dont ask me what happen in his noggin to do that but he did.
I was just going by what you wrote. If I read or interpreted it wrong, then that's my fault.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
So I've actually heard that v6s get the most out of a tune. Idk how much tho.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
I was just going by what you wrote. If I read or interpreted it wrong, then that's my fault.
As long as were at an understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
So I've actually heard that v6s get the most out of a tune. Idk how much tho.
0_o IF its an auto hell yeah it makes it shift harder and at different rpm.
Other then that ... no not on these cars.

Idk about 4.0's either.

But the new 3.7 ... yeah just a tune does some nice stuff
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:

0_o IF its an auto hell yeah it makes it shift harder and at different rpm.
Other then that ... no not on these cars.

Idk about 4.0's either.

But the new 3.7 ... yeah just a tune does some nice stuff
Oh just shift points and presures? What about 93 octain tunes? Wouldn't the chip load a new fuel map? I really wish I knew more about tuning. I use diablo sport to load a 93 octain tune in my 01GT, I only increased shift presure a little bit for WOT....I should start a new thread....
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang