supercharger options - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer
supercharger options

I know there are super chargers out there for my mustang, 94 3.8, but I cannot seem to find any. Could some tell me where to look and what ones are better? please. I have seen the thunderbird 3.8 supercharger and it looks like it wont fit the mustang. I really need help on this one folks.
sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: supercharger options

okay I did some homework on this but now I have another question. What are the pros and cons of the bracket mounted, serpentine driven supercharger (procharger) - VS - the manifold mount style of supercharger(eaton m90)?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

procharger and vortech make superchargers for the 3.8 i personally went with the procharger because it comes complete with front mount intercooler they make differant boost levels, 5, 7,11 and i believe an tuner kit with 13psi. they say the stock engine can handle 11psi and ive known many people who have had no problems at that boost level however i am running 7psi and my piston started coming apart. up to you
jedwards242000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

build the engine. You can make more power and have a better base for a future power adder
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well right now, my ride is equipped with: CAI, TB spacer, catback exhuaxt (old to be replaced), and underdrive pulleys. also a cheap chip that works pretty damn well for 40 bucks!! I also just put in a remanufactured engine, if it means anything. I know a guy whom can port n polish my intake and exhaust, my heads too. really good at what he does but I dont know if I can afford it right now. If i get a supercoupe SC I could have him work that over as well. What are your opinions on my plans. I want criticizm, dont hold back, I want to know.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

By building the engine, the most important thing usually indicated is the bottom end. Do you have the specs on how well that engine was rebuilt? Some of the tolerances can be pretty far from stock. Also, how many miles are on the reman?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I dont have specs, but I do know it came with a test sheet of compressin pressures etc. All were good. Compression was 192!! There is about 650 miles on this new engine.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you should rebuilt it with a 4.2 stroker kit and bore it a tad along with ported heads/intakes and a good cam (for your future goals... na/power adder/etc) and other little things. A good build 3.8 stroked to a 4.2 can push 250+rwhp/tq with out to much trouble N/A~
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

so you are suggesting to me not get a SC? correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

No, what they are suggesting is that you not just strap a supercharger on the motor as it is right now...

you should build the motor up and get the most out of it n/a safely in preparation for a power adder (i.e. S/C or nitrious or whatever) later...that way you get the most power out of the power adder later while having a motor that can handle it...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

If you bolt up a normal vortech or procharger etc you will be able to see about 200rwhp/tq MAYBE probably 180 or so especially if you have an auto... for the money why not build the engine and put down 240+ AND have the ability to go with a blower later on... plus the engine will be much more reliable.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

build the engine !!!!! Have a buddy who bolted on ATI procharger with the 11 PSI kit botton end went bang Supercharger will reduce engine life by 10% or so I've been told
you'll need a new MAF, Injectors, pump, and chip/tune to run a S/C
your 7.5 rear end maybe ok with the supercharger on street tires and as a DD
If you run slicks it’s a possibility that the 7.5 will break. some have had it break other have never had it break. Get a 8.8 rear !!!!!!
But that's your called as long as you don't mind getting stuck in the middle of nowhere when the 7.5 goes boom and don't forget the suspension!!!!!! control arms,etc,etc power is useless if you can’t keep it on the ground.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I didnt know a stroker engine was more reliable. Interesting. I will consider this, but I have one more question for now... Will I still get decent mpg?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post
I didnt know a stroker engine was more reliable. Interesting. I will consider this, but I have one more question for now... Will I still get decent mpg?
It is not that a stroker is more reliable its that you are basically turning your 3.8L into a ford 4.2L the difference in the two is the crank and rods pretty much~ so you should see no issue with reliability as its an oem engine just like the 3.8 is. If you bore it out you may see some reliability issues.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

could i not just buy a 4.2 from a newer car and shovew it in mine? not the same?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Well the heads and intakes are different as well as the cam so just build the 3.8 with ported intakes/heads and a custom cam and you should be good to go. Dropping a 4.2 in wont be the same thing and wont make nearly the power. i would talk to Brent about it as he just went through this exact process.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Okay now I understand. I am not sure who brent is yet. Will I need anything else like bigger injectors, chip/tuner, etc for this build or will it be fine without for now?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I would like to thank all of you for changing my mind. I was pretty stuck on getting a SC now but now I see I will larger gains with a few other mods first.

Aslo while I have y'alls attention would I benefit from deleting my cats?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Just make sure you do more research for the mod that best fits your needs. Building the engine is only my opinion~ its your choice to make at the end of the day. Brent is the owner of the site just pm Brent (thats his username) and you can ask him about his build and such.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well thanks. I think your right, there really is no point to forcing air into an engine with 150 rwhp when I can later force air into a much more powerful engine. Plus I am not that into cowls. I will give Brent a shout too. Thanks again. You saved my hard earned green.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Brent has had some issues getting his engine together and its more of a pita but the end result is good (and forged internals = good for boost etc etc)
Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

If you drive conservatively you should see 270 to 280 miles a tank. But keep in mind that you have to pay for 93 octane so total gas cost will be higher than stock.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

for na you can tune it for 87 octane if you have to but 91 = more power of course. With a boosted car you must run 91 its just safer that way
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I can get 350 mi out of my car now as is!! 275 is a bigg drop!!! I never run anything less than 87 (85 is standard here in CO). I will ponder for a while, Save some cash. Thanks fellas.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

hi i have done lots of research and i have one own my 96 mustang i have a eaton m90 it will fit you just have to change absolutley everything. your intake manifold if single port heads you dont have to change you can either make a bracket for the intercooler to work own our mustang or get a radiator setup for a thunderbird. you have to adjust the throttle bracket and cables you will need bigger injectors, should port and polish heads and use them and think about your bottom half because it will not hold it well atleast mine didnt. rebuild the bottom half maybe try to use longer rods and shorter piston heads for better compression change over to roller rockers if you can 1.8 deff need true dual exhaust to help get the flow good. you need to think about a better suspension and braking system i put a cobra system own mine. you will also eiter make a neat cutout of your hood for the sc to fit or get a cowl hood. you dont have to do everything i listed but for a balanced car you need to if you plan to apply the sc. or instead of all that you can do what i did i just bought a roush 427 and keep your six like it is for a daily driver.
customsixstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That is a lot!! I expected some of it but I opted out. I was convinced that I need to work over the engine as is first then go for the powr adder. Thank you for your close and personal story. I think IF I do get a SC it will be a pully drive from procharger.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

I'm going to go against the crowd and say, "Go ahead and superchage it."

Just make sure you get a big fuel pump so you don't go lean. If you burn a piston or window the block or something, then build you a new motor with forged internals and all the fun stuff. If you've already got a rebuilt engine with only 650 miles on it, I wouldn't build a new one. Just my $.02. :dunno:

Talk to darkshadow about what it takes to run boost on a stock sixer. His is turbocharged, but the concept is the same.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I think I going to wait. Maybe this will be a good summer project
Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

$0.02 adds up here and there. Where I work I find change on the ground all the time. I found $2 dollars in change one day!! bought me a gallon of gas with it!! well 1/2 gallon
Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

hi respond to what markuzls1 said i agree if the rebuilt engine is 650 miles own it and was built to stand te boost i wouldnt but they probably dropped stock short head piston with long connecting rods and stock rings. you can try to use the stock rebuilt engine but if it was me i would wont to invest my money into making it a better engine before i go and blow up a prefect good rebuilt engine deff change the bottom half you wont regret it i been down the long road.a summer job sounds like a great option make sure you have another car you will find if you make the brackets so you can keep your radiator it may take some time to get the bracket right.it really is easier to maybe find a junkyard sc thnderbird and pull parts off of it especially like the pulleys and stuff because the require a bigger puller because a bigger belt own the thunderbirds if you go the m90. if you really wanna do some advanced tweaks take the sc apart close the air gap for more boost percentage i have mine set own 25% thats what my head gasket could stand i open 50% blew the heads but put down 528 horses at 50% if you can find heads to withstand 50% go for it if you do let me no what kind.
customsixstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang