Proper way of downshifting? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to iphonemaster93
Proper way of downshifting?

Hey guys
I was wondering how I should properly downshift when coming to a red light that's almost turning green or slowing down in traffic (or if there is even a recommended way of downshifting for this particular model mustang). I know how to double clutch and single clutch but cannot do heel to toe because the gap between the brake pedal and gas pedal is just too wide so I can't touch both pedals at once. Just in case, I drive a '00 V6. Also, when I single clutch, no matter how much I blip the throttle, the car always tends to jolt. Whether I let go of the clutch fast or slow it just always jolts, so can someone help me with that too? Thanks.
iphonemaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Proper way of downshifting?

dont down shift when slowing down, it eats up your clutch... just put it in neutral and use the brake. This saves the clutch life and brakes are far cheaper than a clutch.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
dont down shift when slowing down, it eats up your clutch... just put it in neutral and use the brake. This saves the clutch life and brakes are far cheaper than a clutch.
How about slowing down before going into a turn? Still move into neutral and brake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i just dont down shift usually unless I slow down enough that it is required, then I just down shift on the other side exiting the turn.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
i just dont down shift usually unless I slow down enough that it is required, then I just down shift on the other side exiting the turn.
but how do you downshift though when ur exiting? sorry if i'm sounding stubborn, just i got this car at 134K miles and it was left in crappy condition so i'm trying to preserve the car as much as i can without doing any/much damage to it
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

I use the neutral/coast/brake method too... the only time I downshift is when I want to make a statement . In that case, I generally tap the throttle, shift down, rev the engine a little and slowly release the clutch (Oh what a sexy roar that is)
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

be careful downshifting
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sure if you want to baby your car forever neutral and brake it. I blip downshift and heel toe all the time. You can also just downshift and let the clutch out slow. I've never gotten less than 100k km on a clutch so I'm not worried about clutch life. Powershifting, blip shifting, and heel toe shifting will all require some more matinence and work but its more fun, make you a better driver, and its how to develop performance driving skills.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
Sure if you want to baby your car forever neutral and brake it. I blip downshift and heel toe all the time. You can also just downshift and let the clutch out slow. I've never gotten less than 100k km on a clutch so I'm not worried about clutch life. Powershifting, blip shifting, and heel toe shifting will all require some more matinence and work but its more fun, make you a better driver, and its how to develop performance driving skills.
My gas pedal is about two inches further back than my brake so I can't heel-toe shift. :/

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

My gas pedal is about two inches further back than my brake so I can't heel-toe shift. :/
Have you ever heard of the pedal mod? It will bring it up almost lined up to the brake pedal.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

Have you ever heard of the pedal mod? It will bring it up almost lined up to the brake pedal.
Nope.. I haven't. What is it?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
What heel toe shifting? And how do you double clutch and what is the need?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Double clutching is for cars with non synchronized transmissions. I'm pretty sure it's not necessary with your car but I could be completely wrong.
Stacks Warmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
Double clutching is for cars with non synchronized transmissions. I'm pretty sure it's not necessary with your car but I could be completely wrong.
That's what I thought. I just don't get what it does. What's wrong with regular shifting?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John View Post
I use the neutral/coast/brake method too... the only time I downshift is when I want to make a statement . In that case, I generally tap the throttle, shift down, rev the engine a little and slowly release the clutch (Oh what a sexy roar that is)
for some reason no matter if i blip the throttle first and then downshift or vice versa and let off the clutch slow, the car still lurches forward for some reason. yesterday i realized that i had to punch the gas pedal for like a second while downshifting and then letting off the clutch slowly to prevent that from happening. I know that in some way, this is hurting the car but i don't know of any other way to downshift without making the car lurch forward. Although I have double clutched many times now and that seems to work fine (except it strains my upper left leg

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
that is sort of what I want...even though i'm not going to race at all, not anytime soon, I do want to know how to do all 3 downshifting techniques but my gas pedal is just way too far to the back...

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
i have the same problem as u like i stated above, so ur not the only one lol

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
i've never heard of that either. what is it and how much does it cost?

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
That's what I thought. I just don't get what it does. What's wrong with regular shifting?
i'm taking a guess based on what track racers say about heel to toe is that you maintain speed when going through a turn but then you can also accelerate easier coming out of the turn. I guess what these other guys are saying is that there really is no point in double clutching shifting but if you want to do it for fun and for the sound (if ur car is modded) then u can do so. Just like what DaBlueDude said, u could also improve ur performance skills that way. For me I just want to know how to execute the different downshifting techniques even though the car that I have will most likely prevent me from learning heel to toe unless i get that pedal mod...
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

All that needs to happen is that you need to match your RPM while down shifting.
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
All that needs to happen is that you need to match your RPM while down shifting.
I do but for some reason the car still lurches so I know I'm still doing something wrong
Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If it lurches still the RPMS are too high
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Haha. Sounds perfect... heel toe is really only for the race track when your standing on the brakes. Actually having the gas a couple inches deeper than the brake is what you want.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93

I do but for some reason the car still lurches so I know I'm still doing something wrong
Yes. If your lurching you are o er revving. A good blip shift is seamless. Except for the addex engine braking in the lower gear. Just learn your ratios, think
If our doing 50mph in fourth at 2400rpm what would the revs be in third at the same speed? (I don't know exactly) say 3600rpm. So you push the clutch, and while grabbing third get your blip in and meet the revs when you engage the clutch in third. It gets really easy with practice. I do it all by feel now. Oh, I dont know if people know this but never, ever, downshift into first unless you nail a perfect rev match. Huge clutch damage on a ratio that short and a lot of stress on the *** end too.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote:

i'm taking a guess based on what track racers say about heel to toe is that you maintain speed when going through a turn but then you can also accelerate easier coming out of the turn. I guess what these other guys are saying is that there really is no point in double clutching shifting but if you want to do it for fun and for the sound (if ur car is modded) then u can do so. Just like what DaBlueDude said, u could also improve ur performance skills that way. For me I just want to know how to execute the different downshifting techniques even though the car that I have will most likely prevent me from learning heel to toe unless i get that pedal mod...
Heel toe braking / downshifting is used under heavy braking into a corner. Its a technique used to.rev match gears while braking HARD. Only way to practice it is to set up some cones in a parking lot with a long runoff untill you get it.because if your not on the limit, there's really not much point. The idea is (when employed to the max) that you need the engine braking and the mechanical to hit the apex of the corner. Your left foot does the usual clutch work. Toe end (for most, not all.) of the foot does the brales and heel blips the gas. (Depending on footsize and pedal arrangment, some people (myaelf included, can use the left side of the righr foot on the brake and the right side for the gas.) This is an advanced drivers technique and should not be employed untill blip shifting is mastered. If you want.to.get a feel for it you can start learning on straight roads (closed courses I mean mods) by starting in 4th and then heel toe shifting down to third while on the brakes. For street use it has limited application unless you need to.get slowed down for.that yellow light.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nope.. I haven't. What is it?
Quote:

i've never heard of that either. what is it and how much does it cost?
I'm not sure if it can be done to a gt, but basically, look up at the very top of the gas pedal(like the way way upper area of the whole pedal). See where the throttle cable connects to the pedal? Basically, pull the bottom part of the pedal towards you and pull the cable through the hole, (this is a cheaper what to do this)but put zip ties around the cable until its nice and snug. But not too tight or it will leave the throttle open a built constantly.

I used a piece of air hose from lowes and some metal clamp band things, then added a zip tie to be just a little closer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-908159165.png
Views:	269
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	38496   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-861448280.png
Views:	276
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	38497  

Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

I'm not sure if it can be done to a gt, but basically, look up at the very top of the gas pedal(like the way way upper area of the whole pedal). See where the throttle cable connects to the pedal? Basically, pull the bottom part of the pedal towards you and pull the cable through the hole, (this is a cheaper what to do this)but put zip ties around the cable until its nice and snug. But not too tight or it will leave the throttle open a built constantly.

I used a piece of air hose from lowes and some metal clamp band things, then added a zip tie to be just a little closer.
Oh! I already did that a few moths ago. I just did it to fully open the throttle body because it was only opening like 80%. I didn't know a lot of people actually did it. Haha. Throttle response was GREATLY improved.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh! I already did that a few moths ago. I just did it to fully open the throttle body because it was only opening like 80%. I didn't know a lot of people actually did it. Haha. Throttle response was GREATLY improved.
Ha, I did it to raise the pedal... I like heel-toe shifting for fun
Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
What are the chances of screwing this up?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What are the chances of screwing this up?
Not likely.. It's pretty simple.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang