beginner help needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
beginner help needed

I need help on what to add to my 2000 v6 mustang, don't know anything about aftermarket parts. Really appreciate yall's help.
shadow commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hey I got the same year v6. Get a cold air intake kit from anericanmuscle.com that's the best website for stuff for mustangs. Then if you have enough money go to an exhaust shop and get either a new muffler or a dual exhaust system.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
Hey I got the same year v6. Get a cold air intake kit from anericanmuscle.com that's the best website for stuff for mustangs. Then if you have enough money go to an exhaust shop and get either a new muffler or a dual exhaust system.
+100
what are u looking to get out of your v6 ? speed? looks? both? basic bolt ons are simple.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

An a tuner

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Re: beginner help needed

Yeah you definately have to decide what you want out of your Mustang before you start. Just an FYI that bolt on modifications will net you very little results. You're not going to bolt on a cold air induction kit and be like DAMN or WHOA. To see serious gains will need to get inside the motor/rear-end and swap some parts out. And finally, just a heads up, all these modifications will eventually start to hurt your gas mileage... so if you swap out your rear end gears for 3.73s or 4.10s you're going to lose about 2-4mpg since you'll be cruising at 2.5~3K RPMs vs the 2~2.5K RPMs.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm doing both but right now I'm focusing mainly on performance. I already put in a CAI, I was told to put 3.73s and a t-loc and also the tuner deal but don't know in what order I should put them in. Also I have a friend who wants to sell me a turbo should I go for that?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
What size Turbo? You'll also have to run your own piping if it did not come off of a 3.8
Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow commando
I'm doing both but right now I'm focusing mainly on performance. I already put in a CAI, I was told to put 3.73s and a t-loc and also the tuner deal but don't know in what order I should put them in. Also I have a friend who wants to sell me a turbo should I go for that?
3.73s are good. There not as harsh as 4.10s if it's going to be your daily driver. If you get the Bama tuner you get free tunes for life. So if you change something just give them a email and they'll send you a new tune. My say is to wait for that turbo set up that's a lot of money if your on a budget.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Idk its an ihi turbo but the guy said it would fit my mustang

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012

3.73s are good. There not as harsh as 4.10s if it's going to be your daily driver. If you get the Bama tuner you get free tunes for life. So if you change something just give them a email and they'll send you a new tune. My say is to wait for that turbo set up that's a lot of money if your on a budget.
I think Ill go for that and as for the turbo I'm only gonna pay 900 for it so its no biggie
Old 01-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Almost any Turbo will fit, having your tubing correct is another story, could end up costing you more. I'd find out all the details on the Turbo first.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I didn't know a thing about cars when I first started three years ago. I got my car for a graduation present and didn't even know a thing about mustangs. Go to walmart buy you a mustang parts magazine. 5.0 mustangs and fast fords they have them. Get one it's like 6$. Look through it. Then start hanging around people who know performance. A v6 is a good engine to start modding, my opinion so your good there. Know what parts are and study your motor. At least spend 30 minutes a day under your hood. Learn what everything does. Usually the first mod is a cold air intake, mine was and I ordered it through the magazine. ( if your really smart tho, go for the windstar intake much more of a power adder) here's the website for it http://www.vapauto.com/windstar.htm

Another good place is americanmuscle.com-they have most of what you need. Then get your performance parts from there. Read what Brent has posted about our cars in this v6 part of the forum it will teach you.

Have fun bro
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
Almost any Turbo will fit, having your tubing correct is another story, could end up costing you more. I'd find out all the details on the Turbo first.
Were could I get the tubing and stuff

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

@blackedout thanks bro ill have a look at American muscle
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #13

Region: New York
Mossmuscle.com is another good website
Roushgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

This is the order I WISH I had done things to my completely stock car... as upgrades became affordable...

1) Dual Exhaust... it's the foundation on which all other mods will rely.
2) Tuner. Free tunes for life from American Muscle. Great increase in MPG and TQ
3) Windstar upper. I got mine from VAPauto.com. MORE MPG and TQ
4) T-Lock and gears. Put that HP and TQ to work!

After that, Springs / Shocks / Sway Bar / Tires/Rims so that the car can dig into the asphalt and go where you point it. Sloppy suspension and crappy tires don't do justice to the car after doing all of those mods.

If you are going to put a turbo on your car, you will want to upgrade to an 8.8" differential, in which case you can skip the gears and t-lock.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roushgirl
Mossmustang.com is another good website
I'm going to have to check that out

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

That sites expensive!!!! Wow ain't no way. 149$ for a hood scoop. Are you for real. Stick with stangmods. Holy crap!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So I should put exhaust in it first?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

I would say hell yeah to the exhaust, it's a mod that will always help increase your hp. By allowing your exhaust to breathe easier, you allow for other mods to work to their full potential. I would say screw the tuner for now until you get more mods. You're car is running just fine until you bust into the motor and swap out your cam, heads, intakes, yada yada yada... But if you do get something like gears you could get a tune then since you'll need to recalibrate your speedo then... but IMO i wouldn't waste money on a tune until you really need it.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I agree getting an exhaust is the best mod you can do to a v6. Be wise and get divorced duals. You will love it. I regret never getting duals, I got a flowmaster muffler and or sounds okay, just not loud enough for me.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

research a lot, get to know what works and what does not... also what to avoid doing.

then ASK on here with a new post to determine if what you are considering is a good idea, bad idea etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ok exhaust it is. Thanks to all of you for your input really appreciate it!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

No problem man. Us v6 guys get chewed out by gt guys. Need help just ask me or anyone cause sometimes the gt guys jus make fun of us for having a sixer
Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
No problem man. Us v6 guys get chewed out by gt guys. Need help just ask me or anyone cause sometimes the gt guys jus make fun of us for having a sixer
+1 which is pathetic. We have the same car diff engine. Still a FORD MUSTANG

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #23
Road Trip!

I'm adding power to my v6. I was going to make it a v8 or sell it for a v8. But I'm keeping it a v6. To make it beat the newer v6s that come out. Made that final decision today. There's nothing wrong with a v6. There are v6s out there that are nothing nice and can take down a v8. Although v8s don't like to hear it bc to them it's insulting.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Look up supersixmotorsports.com they have a package. Here's the site...

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...1PowerPaks.pdf

Thats a 90hp gain about at least, add a tuner, k&n cai, or windstar intake, 65mm throttle body, longtube headers, some performance pulleys, procharger stage 2 at 11 psi, gears, maybe Gt 8.8 rear end, aluminum driveshaft, suspension upgrades, rear seat delete, 75 shot nitrous, shift kit, get a dyno tune,

I think all this would make your v6 atleast 300 hp

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Fast v6s are unique bc I don't see any fast v6s where I live... Few even have dual exhaust... Some don't even know what a tuner is. Lol
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

So I could buy all of that for just 3500? And it'll fit in my 2000 3.8??

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

And also could I jump to stage 3 so I could get the one with the most HP??
Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The crappy thing about power is if you beef up your motor you gotta do your drive train also. Heard about a kid who got a aluminum drive shaft for weight savings and after doin some other mods ended up twisting two drive shafts then went back to steel. It definitely depends on your motives. If you're goin street racer/drag car then motor mods with drive train and suspension upgrades are a must. I myself am goin for economy so and exhaust and tuner is where I'm starting. Also cheap things to do is weight saving mods, like the rear seat delete kit as before mentioned. The will increase the power to weight ratio and make your car handle better all by taking out everything you don't need. The scene in fast and furious where the racers are show off there systems is all bull! Those speakers would weigh a ton and no real racer would waste the space on crap like that. For the best mod I would build up my motor with forged internals and slap a turbo on it. And all the little stuff too
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #26

Regarding tuners, can you just go to a shop or someone with a handheld tuner (like SCT X3) and have them tune your car? Whats the benefit of buying the actual tuner vs just paying for a "tune"? I have a 1999 3.8 with dual pipes and CAI and my MPG is starting to sux.
3ntr0py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The tune is part of the tuner. The tune which is custom made can make the car have better use of the fuel and air making powering. Also is needed for serious mods
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Is a sct tune really worth it if you have a 99 3.8 MANUAL?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ya actually cuz you can tune your car to run on 85 octane specifically or for performance, tune for 90.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Most cars are tune from the factory for 87 cuz its the middle ground. Plus you can reset your speedo with tire size changes and clear/read trouble codes that your car puts up. I like the idea of tuning for 85 octane cuz its cheaper and then your car won't "knock" when running lower grade fuel.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang