my car will die and start right back up again! HELP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
my car will die and start right back up again! HELP

i have a 2002 mustang 3.8 and ive been having problems, it does have 110,000 miles on it so keep in mind.

i will be driving for a long period of time or do launch at a green light with friends. as the day goes on and its real hot outside i will start feeling my engine hesitating and my transmission with just jump like it wants to go to next gear but its afraid to. i will soon start seeing the check engine light start blinking not stay on blinking and then it will get so bad that i will put it in neutral when it does this and i will step on gas couple times and i wont get any RPMs. then ill put it back in drive and i will hit gas, no movement or acceleration, then i hear a loud knocking under car. so it dies completely then i take key out then i turn it on. it starts right back up no problems not even check engine light, but as you start it up you will hear a sorta clutter in between.

( i do have a cold air intake, just put a new IAC, and diablo tune.) just keep in mind and have changed fuel pump!

as you turn car on you will drive for awhile and its completely fine but then it will start again same hesitation and everything. when im driving my car will jump back in forth like its a piece of junk. i keep checking on my diablo tuner and it keeps reading cylinder 5 misfire.

im very curious as to whats wrong, i live in San Antonio so i don't wanna wait until summer again because last summer was hell right now that its still kinda winter its barley doing it and its because im not using my air condition and when you use your air condition you use your engine more. so please help me let me know what it is.

The check engine light is not always on, and it only misfires on occasion. Sometimes it will misfire and then correct itself. Other times I have to shut the car off and re-start it to make it run right again.

and another thing when my car is heated up for the day, when im in DRIVE at stop light or at a slow moving speed like 10MPH i will hear a rattle under car do you think its my catalytic converters?

please help me.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Kinda sounds like you have an intermitant fuel problem...I don't know what the problem is but maybe we can work this out. Maybe its an injector? See if you can get ur car to do that in park while the injector to that cylinder is out?
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Tennessee
Re: my car will die and start right back up again! HELP

sounds like an ignition control module is heating up and causing the issues...problem is i don't recall if you have one or not that would do this...i know early 99's did...not sure about after that though...if you did it would be under the ignition coil....if you do have one there it would look like a black square the size of a matchbox (well a bit bigger)..with a plug...they can be tested to see if they are faulty
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so now I've changed spark plugs. Wires , and coil pack. Even crankshaft sensor and still having same problems, it's always when it's real Hott it will all of a sudden won't give out enough power and it will start jerking and hesitating and I will hear backfires when I have it floored and my car is not moving all u see is the rpm and mph go down
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I know some cars have like a anti theft thing where the car won't go over like ten miles an hour but I doubt our stangs have that. I'm guessing your car is auto? Is the kick down electric or cable?
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to SoCalKev

and i just had this problem with my 99 Jeep lol
SoCalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8
Kinda sounds like you have an intermitant fuel problem...I don't know what the problem is but maybe we can work this out. Maybe its an injector? See if you can get ur car to do that in park while the injector to that cylinder is out?
Fuel pump?
Kinda sounds like same issues i had minus tranny issues. Replace a lot of stuff, lastly, it was the fuel pump.
Eibach pro kit,Tokico shocks/struts,BBK CAI,75mm TB/ Plenum,4.10 FRPP gears,BBK o/r X pipe,Magnaflow Catback,SCT Tuner running 91 Tune,Bama Tunes for Life Member,RAM HD Clutch,BM shifter with MGW "GT" knob,AM smoked Headlights/Sylvania zXe bulbs,VHT smoked tails/3rd brake,Redtop Optima,Mach 1 grille delete,Mach 1 chin spoiler,BULLITT Pedals,20% tint all round,4.6 High Performance Badges
MiGT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Sounds like my 88 5.0 i had, died when it was hot out but ran fine otherwise.. got rid of the car - my problem solved... someone told me something like "vapor lock"?? Whatever that is
SportySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The fuel pump is first thing I installed in my car
Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

We think it's fuel pump module
Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
We think it's fuel pump module
Thats kinda what i was talking about...the pump and module...whole shabang. My pump was going out but the module was burnt up too.
Eibach pro kit,Tokico shocks/struts,BBK CAI,75mm TB/ Plenum,4.10 FRPP gears,BBK o/r X pipe,Magnaflow Catback,SCT Tuner running 91 Tune,Bama Tunes for Life Member,RAM HD Clutch,BM shifter with MGW "GT" knob,AM smoked Headlights/Sylvania zXe bulbs,VHT smoked tails/3rd brake,Redtop Optima,Mach 1 grille delete,Mach 1 chin spoiler,BULLITT Pedals,20% tint all round,4.6 High Performance Badges
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGT01

Thats kinda what i was talking about...the pump and module...whole shabang. My pump was going out but the module was burnt up too.
Well Ya I have my ford mechanic looking at it but he just looks at it on side of shop so he can't always be looking at it he said he's gonna try and bypass the module and see of thats what it was but see i don't know if this happend to you but mine would actually run then when it would be Hott then it would start dying and knocking and hesitating like it wouldn't get any gas
Then it would die and I can start it right back up again
Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so we even bypassed the fuel module and it still didn't work!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so we even bypassed the fuel module and it still didn't work!
Damn....I changed filter, fuel rail pressure sensor pump and module. Final it worked with replacing the module...IDK what else bro
Old 04-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Noid light on the injector for number five and see if it stays lit up when you turn the key on
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
Noid light on the injector for number five and see if it stays lit up when you turn the key on
Noid? What do you mean?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Noid light plugs into your vehicle's injector harness and blinks when the injector is being told to fire. If the light stays solid then there is a short in the harness but if you check the others and they are pulsing it could have a bad ECM. The ecm's don't always read themselves bad.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok well just replaced ccrm thinking that was it and nope

Next is just put another fuel pump in to see if maybe that's it and if it's not I really don't know what to do!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My car would do this, come to find out the battery terminals wernt on tight enough...
KM98Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So my mechanic calls me and says lets try to replace the PCM, I'm like ok where am I gonna get that kinda money!!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So my mechanic calls me and says lets try to replace the PCM, I'm like ok where am I gonna get that kinda money!!
So did you end up replacing the FP?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Did he test the injector harness?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

No he said it couldnt be that or else I wouldnt be Able to start my car right away

And he said it couldn't be fuel injectors there fine and open well
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0
No he said it couldnt be that or else I wouldnt be Able to start my car right away

And he said it couldn't be fuel injectors there fine and open well
Really that's funny wonder how he came to the ECM being bad..... And for one how does he know they are opening for two you can have a short in the harness and the car WILL start... This guy a dealer mechanic or a recognized shop? Cause it seems to me like he is playing the " let's throw parts at it and see if this fixes it" game.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Normally*
Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt

Really that's funny wonder how he came to the ECM being bad..... And for one how does he know they are opening for two you can have a short in the harness and the car WILL start... This guy a dealer mechanic or a recognized shop? Cause it seems to me like he is playing the " let's throw parts at it and see if this fixes it" game.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Normally*
Well he is a ford dealer mechanic but he's our friend and we known him for long time

So ya but he pretty much is like he's telling us whatever the computer is telling him like he's even asked his friends in shop

He drives it to work like its his car and gets to it whn he can so he charges us cheap
Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Anymore help? Got another code finally P0190
Failed fuel rail pressure sensor

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang