brakes squeaking help!!!!!! really annoying - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
brakes squeaking help!!!!!! really annoying

i just replaced my brake pads and now they are squeaking but not all the time. i cant seem to figure out what it is. i bought oem brake pads and i turned the rotors myself in autoshop. anyone else have this happen to them? if you know what to do to fix it, please help. i think the pads are part ceramic but they shouldnt squeal like they do. i would like to fix this asap
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: brakes squeaking help!!!!!! really annoying

Did you use brake lube and install the little silver clips on the pads?
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

hey man... figure it out yet?

i put semi-metallics(against better judgement) on front of my gt, and they are noisy too. not a constant squeal, but when car gets driven and warmed up sometimes they screetch! also, what i do have is a slight 'constant' noise when applying brakes which i've gotten used to, but still don't like. it's probably just the 'metal on metal'... thankfully this was just short term as i've got new centric rotors, and going to instal some raybestos advanced tech(or maybe wagner, or even centric) pads with them. my car pretty much daily driver and toy, so not going with anything heavy or 'big brake' kit.

let me know how you made out!
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
hey man... figure it out yet?

i put semi-metallics(against better judgement) on front of my gt, and they are noisy too. not a constant squeal, but when car gets driven and warmed up sometimes they screetch! also, what i do have is a slight 'constant' noise when applying brakes which i've gotten used to, but still don't like. it's probably just the 'metal on metal'... thankfully this was just short term as i've got new centric rotors, and going to instal some raybestos advanced tech(or maybe wagner, or even centric) pads with them. my car pretty much daily driver and toy, so not going with anything heavy or 'big brake' kit.

let me know how you made out!
my sixxer has the same problem. when applying brake it sounds like metal on metal. pads are good, so will new rotors help this out? and if so which rotors would be best ?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing I could possibly think of is the metal clips holding the pads hit the rotors because it's not a constant squeal all the time.

I have anti squeal stuff to put on disc brake pads but I don't know where to put it
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The anti-squeal stuff goes on the back of all the brake pads
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

the 'lube' goes on the back of pads, where they contact your caliper(on the outside) and the pistons (on the inside). you should also lube the little corners where they fit into the caliper, as that's where they move.

also lube the pads hold down clips as stated above, where they contact the calipers
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

I hate semi metallic makes such an ugly noise....... never again.
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, ditto that... like i said, real good ceramic pads is what i'm getting. time to do the rears too, so figured i'm gonna take them all apart, and even do a little cleaning and painting this time.

gravity bleed while i'm working on it, all new fluid, and finish up the bleed with my bud on the pedal and get them things all snug' up!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears
I hate semi metallic makes such an ugly noise....... never again.
Do they squeak a lot? I can't figure out what it is......
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

no not particularly... usually when really good and warmed up, or when it rains (like it did today ). again my squeak is more likely just caused by the metallic material in the pads on the rotors.

you probably have loose anti rattle clips, or no shims on pads, or lube on contact points. could just be the pad material too. btw, just dawned on me... you're not talking about a 'grinding' noise, are you?!

hate to ask stupid question, but did you (or can you) do the brakes yourself??? or have a friend at least... otherwise best to take to a trusted mechanic. at least get it diagnosed; they shouldn't charge you to just put it up and take a look! let me know if you need more help-

joe
Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
no not particularly... usually when really good and warmed up, or when it rains (like it did today ). again my squeak is more likely just caused by the metallic material in the pads on the rotors.

you probably have loose anti rattle clips, or no shims on pads, or lube on contact points. could just be the pad material too. btw, just dawned on me... you're not talking about a 'grinding' noise, are you?!

hate to ask stupid question, but did you (or can you) do the brakes yourself??? or have a friend at least... otherwise best to take to a trusted mechanic. at least get it diagnosed; they shouldn't charge you to just put it up and take a look! let me know if you need more help-

joe
My dad has been a mechanic for over 40 years and he personally checked over my brake job and made sure I did everything correct. He even went for a ride so I could show him and he didn't know what it was either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang