When i brake... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
When i brake...

It pulls to the right and I have to turn the wheel to the left just to keep going straight and then if I let off the brakes completely it's shoots over to the left it only pulls when I'm braking? Do I need my front end aligned?
Timm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: When i brake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm04 View Post
It pulls to the right and I have to turn the wheel to the left just to keep going straight and then if I let off the brakes completely it's shoots over to the left it only pulls when I'm braking? Do I need my front end aligned?
Sounds like you need to rebuild or replace your front brake calipers.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Sounds like a tie rod issue.
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears
Sounds like a tie rod issue.
How?
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

nevermind i read the post the wrong
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Could have something in your brake line not letting the fluid pressure squeeze your other side front it pulls that one side hard cause it grips first or only .. check lines as well caliber
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys I'll check it out it's really killin me on what it is
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I would try bleeding the brakes first thing.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Definitely sounds like the left caliper is bad

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Have your suspension checked out. I too thought I had a bad caliper. Pulled em off and they were fine, but I noticed the ball joints were worn. Replaced them and it didn't pull anymore. What your describing sounds more suspension related than brakes. Either tie rods or balljoints would be where I'd bet on you finding your problem. Most shops will check out your front end really cheap and let you know for sure what is going on.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Have your suspension checked out. I too thought I had a bad caliper. Pulled em off and they were fine, but I noticed the ball joints were worn. Replaced them and it didn't pull anymore. What your describing sounds more suspension related than brakes. Either tie rods or balljoints would be where I'd bet on you finding your problem. Most shops will check out your front end really cheap and let you know for sure what is going on.
He said it Happens when he's on the brakes, if it was a suspension issue it would happen all the time regardless of the driving situation. I would just check the left front caliper and check the line for cracks or if it's collapsing.
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm04 View Post
Thanks guys I'll check it out it's really killin me on what it is
It is your front calipers.
I have had this happen on several cars over the years.
The caliper pistons get worn down and dirty over time and they will eventually stick in the bores and not apply pressure to your brake pads when you brake.
Evidently that's what has happened to your left caliper and when you brake only the right caliper is working which is what pulls you to the right.
You shoot back to the left because you are compensating for that pull and when you release the brakes the car naturally goes back to the left because you have released the drag on the right wheel.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The caliper pistons get worn down and dirty over time and they will eventually stick in the bores and not apply pressure to your brake pads when you brake.
Evidently that's what has happened to your left caliper and when you brake only the right caliper is working which is what pulls you to the right.
You shoot back to the left because you are compensating for that pull and when you release the brakes the car naturally goes back to the left because you have released the drag on the right wheel.
Exactly, there may be something like dirt in the bore for the piston causing it to not apply evenly.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
+11
Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrarunnin9s

He said it Happens when he's on the brakes, if it was a suspension issue it would happen all the time regardless of the driving situation. I would just check the left front caliper and check the line for cracks or if it's collapsing.
This is not true. My situation was identical to his. Pulling only under braking. Calipers were fine, ball joint was shot. Don't tell him to ignore a possible reason for his issue just because you have never seen it. And since when is it bad advice to have him check out his suspension. The best time to replace stuff is before it breaks. Preventitive maintaince is never a bad thing. He could have either issue, but I bet you'll feel real smart if you are wrong. To the OP, check everything, it doesn't hurt to find any issues and take care of them before they get worse.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

For one, I never said disregard or ignore checking the ball joint at all. Just said I wouldn't check it. Plus you can get a caliper and pads installed for alot cheaper than replacing the ball joint. That's why I said just check the caliper and line.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Why wouldn't you check something that doesn't cost you any money to check?! I wash my hands of this thread......
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Alright guys didn't have time to tear it apart today or tomorrow but imma check this weekend
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Timm04,
Not wanting to dismiss your brake issue, but I love your profile photo. Post some photos up eh?
Aussie Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Stang
Timm04,
Not wanting to dismiss your brake issue, but I love your profile photo. Post some photos up eh?
I got some pics of it but imma wait till the spring when I have my other rims on and my car completely done on the exterior to take tons of pictures!! But I'm gunna take some more Don't worry bout that!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang