2001 3.8L exhaust system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
2001 3.8L exhaust system

Hey! I have a 2001 v6 and I want to make it loud, but not ridiculously loud. I want people to notice me and for it to sound good but my parents are against extremely loud systems like loudmouths, flowmasters, etc. Is there any way I could make it sound deep or almost like a GT for a small price? Thanks!
mchilliard28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: 2001 3.8L exhaust system

The easiest and cheapest way is to get a chambered muffler like a flowmaster or pypes street pro muffler and dump it.

Simply swap the new muffler in place of the stock one, then have a turndown tip attached to the outlet end of the muffler.

This will make your exhaust louder than stock, but not crazy loud. It will also sound deeper as the exhaust will reverberate off the ground.

If you want to take it a step further you can do dual exhaust. You can do the same thing just with 2 pipes and mufflers. There are catback, converter back and full exhaust systems available, as well as having a shop fab the piping.

Dumping the exhaust is nice if you have the stock rear bumper as it doesn't have the exhaust cutouts like on the v8 cars.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

you could cam it
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
you could cam it
Honestly, that would make a v6 sound the closest to a v8, at idle anyways...no type of exhaust will get you that lope from a cam.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #5

Region: Virginia

Alright thanks! Also, would there be a way to get a new catback without doing a dual conversion? And would that help my performance as well?
mchilliard28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchilliard28 View Post
Alright thanks! Also, would there be a way to get a new catback without doing a dual conversion? And would that help my performance as well?
Well I'm not sure if anyone sells a catback version with only a single pipe as 99% of the people buying catbacks usually want the dual piping.

If you want to keep one pipe, I'd just swap out the muffler...that way you'll get more sound and slightly more performance as the aftermarket mufflers are way less restrictive.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
What would be he best duel conversion setup to give it a loud but not ricer setup i got flowmaster 40's right now but an looking to get more aggressive v6 sound without doing cams
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout03 View Post
What would be he best duel conversion setup to give it a loud but not ricer setup i got flowmaster 40's right now but an looking to get more aggressive v6 sound without doing cams
Well it really comes down to personal opinion...some guys will say the flow 40's are the best mufflers for the v6, while others will say borla or flow 10's.

I like my Pypes Street Pros over flows and Magnaflow because they don't get too high pitched in the higher rpms, they give more of a racy 350Z pitched tone. If you've heard a 350Z they don't sound like a honda with a cannon, more of a unique sound and I don't mind it. I do have all 4 cats and the stock y-pipe, so mine isn't crazy loud.

Honestly the v6's are better tamed than loud. Loud means more noise and higher pitched tones in the upper rpms, v8's are another story

Stick with chambered mufflers...if you want to make your current flow 40's louder try an off road midpipe, longtubes, or dumping the exhaust rather than tips out back.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My flow 40's sounded much better when I dumped em before the rear axle. But I still don't like them, they sound like a tractor. After hearing the magnaflow that's what is going to replace my flows.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Well it really comes down to personal opinion...some guys will say the flow 40's are the best mufflers for the v6, while others will say borla or flow 10's.

I like my Pypes Street Pros over flows and Magnaflow because they don't get too high pitched in the higher rpms, they give more of a racy 350Z pitched tone. If you've heard a 350Z they don't sound like a honda with a cannon, more of a unique sound and I don't mind it. I do have all 4 cats and the stock y-pipe, so mine isn't crazy loud.

Honestly the v6's are better tamed than loud. Loud means more noise and higher pitched tones in the upper rpms, v8's are another story

Stick with chambered mufflers...if you want to make your current flow 40's louder try an off road midpipe, longtubes, or dumping the exhaust rather than tips out back.
I've been looking at longtubes and probably gonna get them but when it comes to mid pipes I have no clue on what midpipe to get would sound most like a v8 I've heard a lot of people with custom h pipes that sound like a v8 but am not sure haven't heard to many x pipes. Do they sound better than a h pipe?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

X pipes tend to be more raspy while h-pipes tend to make your exhaust deeper.

I personally don't care for off road x-pipes on v6's because it makes them way too raspy and high pitched...pair that with a straight thru muffler and you sound just like a 4 banger import. A catted one would probably sound better as it's quieter.

The h-pipes help make the exhaust sound a little bit deeper at idle and in the lower rpms, but higher up it's not going to matter, the v6 is just naturally high pitched.

Another option that might save some money is to simply replace the stock y-pipe with 2 divorced pipes. Basically the same concept minus the h or x part lol. In reality the science behind the h-pipe doesn't really apply to v6's since they're even firing, the pulsations don't balance.

This way you can keep 2 or 4 of your cats if you want and get rid of the restrictive y-pipe.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I already have the duel setup with flowmaster 40's but want something a bit deeper
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I did divorced duals with no x or h pipe. Sounded OK, but sounded better once I had the h pipe welded in

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout03
I already have the duel setup with flowmaster 40's but want something a bit deeper
Long tubes...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
I did divorced duals with no x or h pipe. Sounded OK, but sounded better once I had the h pipe welded in

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Long tubes...
What about changing my mufflers or taking off cats or resistors
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Borlas tend to be deeper on the v6's but are pricey...

Do you have the stock v6 bumper? You could dump the exhaust right after the mufflers or past the axle under the bumper. That would help the exhaust sound deeper.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Borlas tend to be deeper on the v6's but are pricey...

Do you have the stock v6 bumper? You could dump the exhaust right after the mufflers or past the axle under the bumper. That would help the exhaust sound deeper.
Ya stock bumper and what type of borlas would you recommend and I'll probably dump them
Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well I know Borla used to make a converter back system for the v6's and it was ~700 So your best bet would be to find some regular Borla mufflers or Stingers. They are probably crazy expensive too...everything Borla is expensive because of the name and they sound real good on v8's.

I would try dumping your Flows first..you may like the sound difference. Keep in mind Borlas are straight thru mufflers and may not sound good to you. I personally haven't heard them on a 99-04 v6..some people like them others don't.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

How much of a clearence issue are longtubes? i want longtubes but i also wanna lower the stang bout 2' all around, and headers are the last thing i want hitting speed bumps.
willrad00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I know Borla used to make a converter back system for the v6's and it was ~700 So your best bet would be to find some regular Borla mufflers or Stingers. They are probably crazy expensive too...everything Borla is expensive because of the name and they sound real good on v8's.

I would try dumping your Flows first..you may like the sound difference. Keep in mind Borlas are straight thru mufflers and may not sound good to you. I personally haven't heard them on a 99-04 v6..some people like them others don't.
Alright thanks

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Quote:

And if I can't find any borlas what else would you recommend
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrad00 View Post
How much of a clearence issue are longtubes? i want longtubes but i also wanna lower the stang bout 2' all around, and headers are the last thing i want hitting speed bumps.
Don't want to hijack the thread but I'll answer quick...

I am lowered ~2" in the front and 1.8" in the rear and on rough roads (crowned, gaps) I will scrape my cats. So I'd imagine you might catch your longtubes on rough roads. Steep inclines and speed bumps would also be tricky...you could scrape entering/exiting a driveway/business with an incline. It really depends on the brand and how low the collectors sit.

If you're careful and avoid bad roads and speed bumps you'd be fine.
A couple scrapes might not hurt but you always take that chance of damaging the piping or catch a flange.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout03 View Post
Alright thanks

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

And if I can't find any borlas what else would you recommend
Well again it's really a personal preference but I like Pypes Street Pros and the Flowmaster 10's. There is a chambered Cherry Bomb out there that some have said sounded decent but I haven't heard them. The regular Borla XS, Borla S and Borla Stingers are the popular mufflers, but are expensive.

It's hard for me to recommend mufflers and say what sounds "good" since I really don't believe anything sounds truly "good" on a v6, that's why I just threw on 2 chambered mufflers and called it a day. It's quiet, has a crisp tone when accelerating and doesn't get overly high pitched above 3k.

If you want different sound than try a different muffler brand, preferably chambered.
If you want to change your current mufflers sound, add a midpipe, divorced piping, or dump the bastards under the car.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post

would the rolled exhaust tips help it rumble more?and if im correct wouldnt a longer tip make it rumble more?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

COMP Cams: 6 Cylinder
@blackedout03 a cam would get you the best idle, everything needed to cam it is in the link, you should get new roller lifters, pushrods(i haven't checked what length is needed) and stiffer/stronger springs.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95
COMP Cams: 6 Cylinder
@blackedout03 a cam would get you the best idle, everything needed to cam it is in the link, you should get new roller lifters, pushrods(i haven't checked what length is needed) and stiffer/stronger springs.
How much that run?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

1/4 mile or as in the price? its late and i'm tired...
for the price the cams for the 3.8/4.2 cost the same but the higher performance ones require spring and computer modifcations at $337
I may be wrong but the roller lifters cost $163 this is where I'm worried bcuz
i think its each
springs are between $43-155
so around $1500 for everything
you could save alot by re-using your old roller lifters
then it would be more around $500. I don't know much. i'm actually learning alot here myself. but i've been planning.
Have you heard how a cammed V6 sounds like though. I LOVE IT! can't wait to do it to mine.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #26

Region: Texas
Ya I am pricing some today.. thanks for the input and yes camed out v6 sounds great!! Mine is dumped so I can wait. I going to order the under pulleys Saturday
trixinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixinahat
Ya I am pricing some today.. thanks for the input and yes camed out v6 sounds great!! Mine is dumped so I can wait. I going to order the under pulleys Saturday
Let me know if you can tell a difference with the pulleys I've heard it doesn't do much unless supercharged
Old 02-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #28

Region: Texas
Ya it do help.. . I noticed right off the bat. Just did it this morning. Not hair raising fast but when you ball on a budget like me it easy fast and makes a difference.
trixinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixinahat
Ya it do help.. . I noticed right off the bat. Just did it this morning. Not hair raising fast but when you ball on a budget like me it easy fast and makes a difference.
Probably like ten horses?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout03

Probably like ten horses?
Prolly just an increase in acceleration. You won't feel 10 hp difference.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #31

Region: North Carolina
Hey y'all, talking bout all this exhaust stuff, figured I'd throw my question. Looking at some duals for my 99 v6, I've heard stock 99 -04 gt exhaust bolts up directly, would a 1994 mustang gt exhaust bolt directly up to my stock headers? It's a good price so I'm hoping even if I have to modify it a little bit it will still work. Thanks guys.
99ManMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I believe you need a mid pipe for the GT exhaust to work.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #33

Region: North Carolina
I don't wanna sound stupid, but what's that?
99ManMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

The GT exhaust won't just bolt to your factory y pipe. You'll have to get an adapter.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #35
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ManMustang
I don't wanna sound stupid, but what's that?
No such thing as a stupid question. If you don't know just ask.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

« Reverse | 98 3.8 »