SCT tuner owners help me out! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
SCT tuner owners help me out!

I'm looking for anybody that has experience with the sct tuner on a 99-04 v6 5 speed. What kind of gains have you noticed, and which tunes do you normally run? Are you happy with what you got for your 350+ dollar investment?
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: SCT tuner owners help me out!

depending on your modification level expect 10-15rwhp~ and about the same tq at most... but it all depends on how well the tune is written (custom tune on dyno vs off the shelf can tune)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm more interested in the throttle response and the way it sounds. And being able to read codes is a plus. 10-15 isn't a whole lot, but I'm just trying to give her a little more pep in the low end.
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah I'm interested too. Like will the engine be smoother and be less hard on itself.
02_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I am buying them regarldess ( 1 for the stang, and another for my 5.0 explorer) so i guess I'll do an in depth review, and maybe a follow up after a few hundred miles. Maybe a video as some say it changes the way it sounds. In fact I'll do a before and after vid of the cai and then tuner. Give some of the other guys a better idea of what to expect for their 450 bucks.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it really wont help throttle response like tunes do for 05 + as your car is cable driven and not drive by wire as the 05+ is~ they may can tune a bit for that but sure.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
I'm looking for anybody that has experience with the sct tuner on a 99-04 v6 5 speed. What kind of gains have you noticed, and which tunes do you normally run? Are you happy with what you got for your 350+ dollar investment?
I don't have your set up but I can tell you my experience... I have an 05 GT and went for a JLT CAI with the SCT. I chose BAMA, because of their reputation and support, and the factor that with the limited number of mods I have, I felt a custom dyno tune was too much money for me to spend. The car is my daily driver and I have a combo of highway and city street driving.

The before and after difference is night and day. It's a different car. I started with the 87 Street tune, then went to the 93 Race tune and never went back- probably never will. It makes my drive to work SO much fun.

Don't expect a big increase in noise- that's what exhaust systems are for Nor will it make anything 'easier on your engine' etc.... DO expect more power- when I hit the pedal, she goes! More responsiveness, quicker acceleration, firmer shifting... Speed and power and FUN! That's what I got out of my tune.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

I love mine! I bought it from American Muscle.

The first thing I noticed was that when I jam second gear at 5500 it doesn't chirp the tires anymore...
now it does a full 2 or 3 second burn out, even with it set to 87 octane.

The second thing I noticed was that my MPG went up about by 4 mpg in town and 4 on the highway.

I have 5 tunes available (I keep my laptop in the car most of the time so swapping is not an issue)... 87S, 89P, 91P, 91R and 93R.

I get my best MPG using 89P and that is with non-ethanol gasoline.
The 93R is great for when I fill up with 95 octane E-30, really FUN but horrible gas mileage HAHAHA!

I consider it an investment that is well worth the price. After swapping to a high flow low restriction X-pipe I went to the BAMA website and I had new tunes emailed to me the next day.

Awesome.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Ok, I am gonna repost this what I said to the other guy, or girl:

Hi,

I just bought a live wire. Never had a hand held before. LW allows for real time monitoring of certain PCM specs depending on model year.

Allows for additional tuning to Pre loaded tune such as air fuel ratios to help eliminate ignition knock, set fuel octane, best of all it allows for data log by linking your laptop via the SCT so you can drive while your Buddy observes paras. It's the next best thing to a dyno.

What you think, is it worth it? It opens the door to learn more about what you pay pros for.

Oh, almost forgot, it has a separate kit that feeds exhaust manifold and air induction wide band data to the tuner, to your laptop for very accurate readings.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

More on LW:

It allows for a lot more. Check out the SCT web site for full details. Just remember that Pre tunes are usually defaulted to 0:0 for A/F. Err On the side of richer when accessing WOT.

I'll post some pics. Ext weekend after I clean up my Stang, gosh think I'm falling for her! Clear your head cuz I meant my Stang. Lol. Good luck on your choice, but if your objective enough you'll get the best product that can feed your learning needs.

Looks like he already knows the hot and grounds. Remote should run lower voltage than the speaker outputs, or at minimum a steady voltage when the stereo in operation; speaker wires voltage vary by frequency outputs. Using a Multi meter can help with solving the problem.

I am curious how this turns out.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
Get the tuner it's worth it! It's the gateway to all your performance mods
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to 2Greeny7
I got my tuner and let me tell you..... WOKE MY PONEY UP! Its by far the best investment ive done to her so far! And my throttle responce is so much better makes my car sound MEAN! its a must have! Plus durring the winter here im getting +6 mpg so its almost paid for its self by now. Durring the summer i set it at 91R and just cruze. Let me tell you, ITS WORTH IT! Got mine from american muscle of course!!!! Tell me what you think!
2 Subs, New speakers all around
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
July '12 Mustang of the Month
2Greeny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
Get the tuner it's worth it! It's the gateway to all your performance mods
Become a tuner! Air fuel ratio. When in doubt , go richer, save the pistons and lifters/cams. Remeber that spark knock is usually when he lifters sound like they are trying to leave he vehicle.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny27 View Post
I got my tuner and let me tell you..... WOKE MY PONEY UP! Its by far the best investment ive done to her so far! And my throttle responce is so much better makes my car sound MEAN! its a must have! Plus durring the winter here im getting +6 mpg so its almost paid for its self by now. Durring the summer i set it at 91R and just cruze. Let me tell you, ITS WORTH IT! Got mine from american muscle of course!!!! Tell me what you think!
What type of TB do you have on you 6a? I got an 8 but need tp know.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm seeing everyone saying its a must have, but are y'all using standards? I have seen tuners help a lot more on automatic because helps shifting. Does it wake your pony up if in a stang?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT
Become a tuner! Air fuel ratio. When in doubt , go richer, save the pistons and lifters/cams. Remeber that spark knock is usually when he lifters sound like they are trying to leave he vehicle.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

What type of TB do you have on you 6a? I got an 8 but need tp know.
I have a factory TB, but i have an automatic V6, however the power has increased and the shift points are deff better
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I meant if ur in a manual

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 02-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang
I meant if ur in a manual
Oh i see, and im auto. Still i say get it, get some extra power with out really adding anything!
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

400$ is a pretty penny for something that you can't feel. If you can feel the difference then it's worth it. I know autos can feel it but I wanna know if manuals can feel the extra power.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 02-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang
400$ is a pretty penny for something that you can't feel. If you can feel the difference then it's worth it. I know autos can feel it but I wanna know if manuals can feel the extra power.
You'll see about the same HP gains as an auto but may not feel it as much, due to the autos shift points and shift pressure being changed by the tune!.. But the added hp and the fact that you can run your own diagnostic checks to me is worth it!.. Not to mention that a tuner will bring out the best performance in all your mods!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

She's not getting too many more mods. Just sprucing her up for mustang week. This mustang is going to my son. I'm on the hunt for a black or mineral grey vert GT with low miles. I'm taking my time because I know I can find a nice one that hasn't been dogged, I just need to keep looking. She'll show up sooner or later....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wait so the tuner also lets u check your check engine light?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, its a code reader too! Does a whole slew of things.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
Wait so the tuner also lets u check your check engine light?
Both SCT and Diablo do that!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Oh nice! That makes me wanna get it even more. Lol
Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Both SCT and Diablo do that!..
Sure does. And warns you sometimes if you check on a regular basis ahead if time. It warns sometimes before the engine light comes on.

It's a great thing to invest in. It's really no hp gain in a v6, mainly I noticed throttle response and shifting
Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Sure does. And warns you sometimes if you check on a regular basis ahead if time. It warns sometimes before the engine light comes on.

It's a great thing to invest in. It's really no hp gain in a v6, mainly I noticed throttle response and shifting
I want it for my 98 sc cobra. Been thinking of buying just a regular obd2 code reader but those cost like 120 for a decent one. So now that I know the tuner also reads codes I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

I want it for my 98 sc cobra. Been thinking of buying just a regular obd2 code reader but those cost like 120 for a decent one. So now that I know the tuner also reads codes I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it.
Good

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang