Cut springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Cut springs

Im cutting my springs right now and wanna know how much Is good, anyone know?
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Always herd one complete coil. Never done it so idk really.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffer227
Im cutting my springs right now and wanna know how much Is good, anyone know?
Like chop some off?
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I was thinkin like half a coil or somethin, but I was wondering the coil to inch drop ratio lol if there is even one
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, I was thinkin like half a coil or somethin, but I was wondering the coil to inch drop ratio lol if there is even one
Idk the drop ratio but I would recommend to not do it. My friend did tht and was the bumpiest ride ever. He regrets doing that but it made his car lower
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

Idk the drop ratio but I would recommend to not do it. My friend did tht and was the bumpiest ride ever. He regrets doing that but it made his car lower
+11. Save your cash and get an actual drop springs!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Ppl cut springs everyday.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Ppl cut springs everyday.
People also do a lot of stupid things. Cutting the springs can weaken them. You can find a cheap set of springs for like $120 if you look around.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

People also do a lot of stupid things. Cutting the springs can weaken them. You can find a cheap set of springs for like $120 if you look around.
Yea don't cut springs it will f up ure suspension
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Whatev... Seen cars run 5.0000 in the 1/8 on cut springs. Never said it was the best option, it's really not that serious. I'd cut springs before I ran cheap knock offs any day.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Whatev... Seen cars run 5.0000 in the 1/8 on cut springs. Never said it was the best option, it's really not that serious. I'd cut springs before I ran cheap knock offs any day.
Never said you couldn't just saying its not gonna be a good ride at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #12

Region: New Jersey
I'm pretty sure this was on last weeks episode of car warriors. They said if you were going to do it, do it at most a quarter coil at a time
LuVUrFr3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can get a good set of Eibachs or a set from Steeda for about $150!..
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

You can get a good set of Eibachs or a set from Steeda for about $150!..
Yup got my maxspeed for 140
Old 02-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Cut springs

check these out for cheap option....
Anyone have an idea why it says not good for convertibles?

1979-04 Mustang Specific Rate Red Lowering Springs by SVE at LRS - Free Shipping!
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I did my springs for giggles. Started with a 1/4 at a time and ended up doing one full coil. Don't let the spring get to hot when cutting. Gave about 1.5-1.7" drop. Noticed no difference in handling and had no issues. I did however order dropzone springs before I cut. I heard so many stories good and bad about cutting springs. I had no problems, just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. If you don't have money for springs, theyre not expensive, then you can cut your springs for a temporary drop. I would still look into getting a set of springs.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqfu
check these out for cheap option....
Anyone have an idea why it says not good for convertibles?

1979-04 Mustang Specific Rate Red Lowering Springs by SVE at LRS - Free Shipping!
Different weight for the convertibles.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

thats what i thought, lighter weight engine + less weight with no hard top = wont drop as much,,,with that in mind, is any spring better for convertible drop?
I am getting new larger wheels soon (17 x 9 vs 16 in stock), and wanted to drop 1.5 inches also. so i wanted to make sure. Going to have my local guy do a dual exhaust (adding another flowmaster 44) and install springs at same time.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqfu
thats what i thought, lighter weight engine + less weight with no hard top = wont drop as much,,,with that in mind, is any spring better for convertible drop?
I am getting new larger wheels soon (17 x 9 vs 16 in stock), and wanted to drop 1.5 inches also. so i wanted to make sure. Going to have my local guy do a dual exhaust (adding another flowmaster 44) and install springs at same time.
If I'm not mistaken the vert wieghs more than the coupe, extra bracing and supports to make up for the lack of a roof.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

interesting....google is probably my friend on that question...

Let me google that for you
Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The Ford springs are the best for money. Cheaper and are made for mustang and no need to change out other parts maybe at most shocks
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Cut half a coil on the front and didnt notice much, doing the rear tomarow, another half on the front is a possibility, just don't Realy feel like taking it apart again.. Haha
Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska

1 - 1 1/2 coils on the front, 1 coil in back. That's what i usually hear people are running. They won't hurt your suspension horribly either so just go for it.
whyxitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Just cut a full coil in the rear and it looks great. Rides fine, no rubbing, and I have 18"s. only did half a coil on the front, so I kinda have a Cali drop goin haha, I might do more on the front tomaro, but I'm not sure if I should do another full coil for 1 1/2 up front or just another 1/2 coil and make it even with the back, anyone know how much camber I can get out of the stock bolts, without buying the plate or kit? Just incase I get a rubbing issue.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

A full coil drops between 1.6 and 2 inches, you will need plates or camber bolts as your camber will be off by about 1 degree. Don't skimp on this because you will wear your tires unevenly. I just ruined a set of brand new tires this way. So now I'm buying all new tires, and the eibach camber bolts which will give enough adjustment to get everything back to normal. The bolts only run about 30 bucks on American muscle, much cheaper than two new tires will cost you.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

I would never cut a coil spring , supposedly the rides harsh ,but the real problem is your weakening the spring overall witch will lead to other suspension issues in the future ...........
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Its also a very good idea to replace your shocks and struts if they have any kind of miles on them after a drop like this.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Can't I just get smaller bolts from like homedepot or something? Obviously the same strength, and my springs ride fine so far.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

If your going to do some thing do it right!.. Don't get some homedepot S*** and think it's all going to be ok!.. Plus personally I would never think of cutting the springs!.. I've known to many who did that and ended up being sorry they did!.. The stock springs are designed to ride at a certain hight, and for good reason, just get some actual drop springs!.. There are several companies out there that make great drop springs, for almost any hight you want!..

Don't be in such a rush that you are taking cheap easy shortcuts to building your ride!.. You'll be much happier in the end, plus you might not be spending some of your hard earned cash fixing one of those cheap shortcuts you took!..
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Already did it, and don't regret it, I want advise from people who did it, or know what their talking about, not people who herd it's a bad idea...
Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Already did it, and don't regret it, I want advise from people who did it, or know what their talking about, not people who herd it's a bad idea...
First off I know it to be a bad idea because I've known several people that did it!.. One guy his car started riding at a weird angle, like stated before, cutting the springs weakens them!.. This is not hearsay!.. This is a fact!.. Each coil on your springs is wound in such a manor to, one keep the vehicle ridding at a certain hight, and two, to bear a certain amount of load, or weight!.. When you cut off a coil or more you drastically change that!..

Take your time and build it right!.. Use the right parts the right way and you'll be happier in the end!..

Growing up I've known too many guys building their own cars!.. One guy spent nearly ten years building his car!.. When he was done I asked him why did it take you so long to build it?.. He said because he wanted to do it only once and to do it right!.. He didn't take any shortcuts!.. Some others took shortcuts and ended up spending more cash fixing alot of those shortcuts!..
Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

First off I know it to be a bad idea because I've known several people that did it!.. One guy his car started riding at a weird angle, like stated before, cutting the springs weakens them!.. This is not hearsay!.. This is a fact!.. Each coil on your springs is wound in such a manor to, one keep the vehicle ridding at a certain hight, and two, to bear a certain amount of load, or weight!.. When you cut off a coil or more you drastically change that!..

Take your time and build it right!.. Use the right parts the right way and you'll be happier in the end!..

Growing up I've known too many guys building their own cars!.. One guy spent nearly ten years building his car!.. When he was done I asked him why did it take you so long to build it?.. He said because he wanted to do it only once and to do it right!.. He didn't take any shortcuts!.. Some others took shortcuts and ended up spending more cash fixing alot of those shortcuts!..
The springs are cut already.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
This is always gonna be a controversial topic. I've cut springs in the past and I've used lowering springs as well, I've even got a set of fully adjustable coil overs on my 240sx! One pro I can say about cut springs is you never hear the thump of your spring coils smacking together when you go over hard bumps like you do with lowered springs. Lowered springs coils are just too close together on some applications. I'm just a lyrical Gangsta and that's how I roll. You'll learn that.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Don't do it. SONICPONY03 has a great set up you should look at his profile pictures
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
This is always gonna be a controversial topic. I've cut springs in the past and I've used lowering springs as well, I've even got a set of fully adjustable coil overs on my 240sx! One pro I can say about cut springs is you never hear the thump of your spring coils smacking together when you go over hard bumps like you do with lowered springs. Lowered springs coils are just too close together on some applications. I'm just a lyrical Gangsta and that's how I roll. You'll learn that.
I have 2" drop springs and they don't smack together.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

I have 2" drop springs and they don't smack together.
I had a 1.5" drop on my Monte and they didn't smack together or anything like that!.. Perhaps he got bad set or something!..

But still I would rather go with some actual drop springs vs cutting the them!.. There's just to many things that can go wrong with cutting them that can make for some bad Mojo!!... Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang