Un-tuned vs. Tuned - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to AlexJ
Un-tuned vs. Tuned

Un-tuned vs. Tuned

What would the difference be on a stock 01 sixer?
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Un-tuned vs. Tuned

ginormous, but useless unless you have other mods, I have an 03 v6 with cold air intake, headers, and full exhaust. I decided to get the 3.73 rear gears and once I did that I had to get it tuned in order to correct my spedometer/RPM's. once I got it tuned though I noticed a big difference. increased my top speed and improved my 1/4 mile time alot!
corkwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

About 10hp/tq~ give or take a couple IF the tune is on a dyno not just a mail order can tune.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i posted a video of me racing a spec v and the chase car was an untuned v6..........yeah you can see the difference. i put about 20+ cars on him from 0-~90
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

If you have an automatic trans, the gains are worth it
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
If you have an automatic trans, the gains are worth it

I do have an auto. So without any mods the gains from a custom tune are worth it?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
I do have an auto. So without any mods the gains from a custom tune are worth it?
You'll pick up firmer, better shift points.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

dont expect something night and day from the tune. With that said if you get a real dyno tune not just a mail order chip/programmer you should see about what gears/tlok would give you with a better overall driving feel and better shifts. I would say with an auto you will shave off at least 3 tenths from your times.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

so far i shaved .9 off my time with a tuner
Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

.9 is a ton to shave off with only a tunner and nothing else. I've never seen that happen on any mustang.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
.9 is a ton to shave off with only a tunner and nothing else. I've never seen that happen on any mustang.
Remember, he is an auto. Those firmer/quicker shifts...better usage of the power band...will make a major difference over stock times. His UD pulley and CAI don't do bubkiss for him...nor the exhaust...figure at least .7 of it was tune alone.

EDIT: It was also going from an 87 tune to a 93 tune....better spark, more power, better shifts...tons of benefits.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Tune made all the differance for me

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So anywhere from a .3-.7 second gain?
Thats seems worth it.
I know prices for a good dyno tune probably varies but can anybody give me an avg?

Plus, with this tune do y'all think I could beat an 04 stang, stock and ragged sixer?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

well now you have.........in about a month or so i'll make a run tuned and untuned at the track.

but as it stands now, my best untuned was a 15.8 (once, the other runs were 15.9s) and my best tuned was 15.0 (consistant)
Old 12-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
well now you have.........in about a month or so i'll make a run tuned and untuned at the track.

but as it stands now, my best untuned was a 15.8 (once, the other runs were 15.9s) and my best tuned was 15.0 (consistant)
The truth comes out.

15.8 - 15.0 = .8

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:

Who tuned it? I didn't see those kinds of gains in my 02 v6 with a sct chip. I know you have a few small mods and I was basically stock but wow.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
The truth comes out.

15.8 - 15.0 = .8

youre absolutely right..............i stand corrected. i shaved .8 off my time with a tune, brandon. not .9

i didnt consider the ONE time i EVER ran a 15.8 stock and the other 20 or so times i ran 15.9-16.1 vs the 5 or 6 runs i've made tuned and turned 15.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpony02 View Post
Who tuned it? I didn't see those kinds of gains in my 02 v6 with a sct chip. I know you have a few small mods and I was basically stock but wow.
stang-hi performance.........its a local guy down here. he's made a custom tune for my car and for some reason it wont work on any of the other 6's he's tried it on. i've beaten about 3 or 4 other 6's and after they asked what i've got done they go to his shop for that tune. but when they try it they get detonation pretty bad. so he has to load a less agressive version of the tune in there
Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
His wasn't a chip...his was a flash tuner....which is where part of the difference comes from. It was tuned by Stang Hi here in baton rouge. His mods really don't do much other than let him add more stuff in his sig. I would dare to guess about 10ish or so more HP from his few mods.

Was your SCT chip set for 93 octane only? Or were you able to run lower octane? His spark was setup solely for 93....anything less = guranteed detonation.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
stang-hi performance.........its a local guy down here. he's made a custom tune for my car and for some reason it wont work on any of the other 6's he's tried it on. i've beaten about 3 or 4 other 6's and after they asked what i've got done they go to his shop for that tune. but when they try it they get detonation pretty bad. so he has to load a less agressive version of the tune in there

It's all because of that extra displacement you have.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
His wasn't a chip...his was a flash tuner....which is where part of the difference comes from. It was tuned by Stang Hi here in baton rouge. His mods really don't do much other than let him add more stuff in his sig. I would dare to guess about 10ish or so more HP from his few mods.

Was your SCT chip set for 93 octane only? Or were you able to run lower octane? His spark was setup solely for 93....anything less = guranteed detonation.
I had a multi-position chip. I had a 87 tune and a 93 tune. I'm considering getting it re-burned for my GT but with the gains I saw from the v6 I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble. I know mail-order isn't ideal but does anyone recommend a supplier for the re-burn?

-Denver
Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
I had a multi-position chip. I had a 87 tune and a 93 tune. I'm considering getting it re-burned for my GT but with the gains I saw from the v6 I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble. I know mail-order isn't ideal but does anyone recommend a supplier for the re-burn?
BFI Garbage Hauling....then get an x-cal 2 from vmp/rwtd/stang hi/etc....with custom tunes in it...
Old 12-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

well if you ever want to try your luck against a tuned 03 V6 let me know
corkwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
BFI Garbage Hauling....then get an x-cal 2 from vmp/rwtd/stang hi/etc....with custom tunes in it...
How is a tuner any different than a chip other that having the ability to change settings for gear ratios / tire sizes on the fly with the tuner? I thought a chip could be burned with a custom tune just like a tuner. Or is there something I'm missing?

-Denver
Old 12-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
How is a tuner any different than a chip other that having the ability to change settings for gear ratios / tire sizes on the fly with the tuner? I thought a chip could be burned with a custom tune just like a tuner. Or is there something I'm missing?
A flash tuner is a ton easier. A flash device also lets you make changes on your own as needed...where simple things like gear/tire size changes, fine tune auto shift points, other items you feel comfy with....can be changed without having to send it off and get it changed = Free mods.

Steps to tune with a tuner:
1. Plug in to ODBII port and load the tune. Done.

Need changes?
1.) Email your tuner...they make the change...
2.) Receive updated tune via email
3.) Load the file on the tuner via usb
4.) Plug in to ODBII port and load the tune. Done.

Same process with a chip:
1.) Remove the chip (hoping you don't bend something/short out the computer/drop the chip)
2.) Mail it to the tuner...wait for snail mail to get there (hope nothing happens to it in the mail or it get lost somewhere).
3.) Wait for snail mail for return of chip with udpate (hope nothing happens to it in the mail or it get lost somewhere).
4.) install the chip (hoping you don't bend something/short out the computer/drop the chip)

See where the flash tuner is much cleaner?

Flash tuner also lets you data log on the fly with your laptop with a simple USB cable and free software from SCT.

Convenience is really the major benefit. I can't say whether a flash device lets you change more settings or not since I am not up on the complete feature set of each. However, I do believe a flash tuner does allow for more customization due to the constant updating of the strategy (kinda like firmware) to add new features....but that is my best guestimate. I know of 4 or 5 features and tweakable parameters added to the strategy for my car...settings that weren't availble when I bought the tuner....and have since been added and tweaked accordingly (fuel pump voltage mapping is the most recent one).
Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

I guess my thought process was that I already own a multi position chip. Reburn = $80-$100. Tuner = $350-$400. Even if I needed to change a tune at some point (which is probably not the case because I don't plan on modding too much) I'm still coming out ahead. I agree with you though, if I had nothing to begin with I would go with the tuner.

-Denver

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang