Tint or spray on - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Surffer227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 570
Tint or spray on

Opinion

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Opinions on tinting taillights
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Tint or spray on

Well you have a few options.

1) Spray on tint...etc VHT Niteshade
2) Vinyl stick on strips/sheet cut tint
3) Purchase already smoked tail lights

I have the vinyl strips on mine...the 2 inner bars are easy enough, but the outer (3rd) bar that's curved is a pita...getting the vinyl to stretch and not crease/bubble is difficult and takes patience.

Spray on tint is great but I'd suggest sand the surface, spray the lights, sand again with a more fine grit then a couple coats of clear. They will look a sh*t ton better than if you just sprayed niteshade on and done.

The only negative is that you can't really undo the spray on. With vinyl you can simply take them off if the popo give you a hard time.

The Raxiom tinted lights are nice...the reverse indicators are left untinted so they are easily seen and the tint percent is perfect. They are pricey comparatively speaking ($124) but require less time and effort, plus you could simply swap your stock tails back on if you needed to.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
i love the raxiom tail lights from AM !!! they look badass. i was interested in tinting my lights but i dont really wanna mess around with that stuff id rather buy smoked lights and not worry about it
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,252
I nightshaded mine. Worked great and really easy. Looks nice to
__________________
"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Surffer227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 570
I saw stuff at autozone, probly duplicolor or something, that said it was for tinting tail lights, same stuff?
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackedout03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Delaware
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Well you have a few options.

1) Spray on tint...etc VHT Niteshade
2) Vinyl stick on strips/sheet cut tint
3) Purchase already smoked tail lights

I have the vinyl strips on mine...the 2 inner bars are easy enough, but the outer (3rd) bar that's curved is a pita...getting the vinyl to stretch and not crease/bubble is difficult and takes patience.

Spray on tint is great but I'd suggest sand the surface, spray the lights, sand again with a more fine grit then a couple coats of clear. They will look a sh*t ton better than if you just sprayed niteshade on and done.

The only negative is that you can't really undo the spray on. With vinyl you can simply take them off if the popo give you a hard time.

The Raxiom tinted lights are nice...the reverse indicators are left untinted so they are easily seen and the tint percent is perfect. They are pricey comparatively speaking ($124) but require less time and effort, plus you could simply swap your stock tails back on if you needed to.
Carb cleaner is the way to take off nightshades
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Tint or spray on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout03 View Post
Carb cleaner is the way to take off nightshades
Good to know
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffer227
I saw stuff at autozone, probly duplicolor or something, that said it was for tinting tail lights, same stuff?
Don think so. It's called VHT Nightshade in a purple black and white spray can. I got mine at oreilly's but you can get at autozone prolly too.
__________________
"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackedout03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Delaware
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

Don think so. It's called VHT Nightshade in a purple black and white spray can. I got mine at oreilly's but you can get at autozone prolly too.
Duplicolor also has one it's in a red and black can and called lens tint at auto zone
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convertible or hardtop.? Mustangg5 General Car Discussion 50 03-14-2012 03:45 PM
which intake plenum to go with on 99 gt? 1quick4.6 1996-2004 Mustang GT 11 03-07-2012 10:54 PM
Shaker system setup on 2011 Boss 302 SwatKatz901 Boss Mustang 3 03-02-2012 05:47 PM
20" wheels on lowered 2007 redfire 2005-2010 Mustang GT 29 03-01-2012 07:19 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:38 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.