Balljoints - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Balljoints

For a first timer are balljoints hard to install? Or should I get a shop to install them? A guy told me if I'm changing the balljoints I should change the control arms too. The ball joints are squeaking and there's just a little vibration in the wheel.
Anyway I bought Steeda 2x balljoints
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Balljoints

is your car lowered? i thought the x2's were for lowered cars. i could be wrong though. there are sum videos on u-tune for installing. i dont think they r too hard though.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
is your car lowered? i thought the x2's were for lowered cars. i could be wrong though. there are sum videos on u-tune for installing. i dont think they r too hard though.
I'm going to eventually lower my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Bud changing them out is a job but not hard .. I believed if u wanted u could handle doing it..
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Damn they are for lowered cars. Guess this is my chance to lower my ride...

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

So I already bought the ball joints the other day, and they come in Wednesday. I wanna know if these are good for lowering suspension...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/tokico...trut-9404.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/h-r-sp...ngs-96-04.html

Do I even need these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximu...tes-94-04.html
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

wow...ur really doin it arent u wit da struts.

i dont think u need cc plates. if u use those springs. they are only 1.75 front

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:

Damn thanks bro. That's great to know
Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

Anything over 1" you will need CC plates.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Damn they are for lowered cars. Guess this is my chance to lower my ride...

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

So I already bought the ball joints the other day, and they come in Wednesday. I wanna know if these are good for lowering suspension...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/tokico...trut-9404.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/h-r-sp...ngs-96-04.html

Do I even need these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximu...tes-94-04.html
Yes you are going to need the plates, or you WILL eat up tires!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Titus Wadicus
Regular

mine is 2 inches... and im not using cc plates. i asked a couple ppl on here a while back, so i decided not get them and c if it drove ok...seems ok to me so far. other ppl swear by them.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
mine is 2 inches... and im not using cc plates. i asked a couple ppl on here a while back, so i decided not get them and c if it drove ok...seems ok to me so far. other ppl swear by them.
At 2 your camber is off by at least one degree. Blackedout save yourself the headache in the future and get the plates. I have a set of brand new tires sitting in my garage now that were ruined because I didn't get the CC plates. Well after having to buy new tire guess what I just bought, CC plates. Do it right, don't skimp or you will pay more in the long run.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
At 2 your camber is off by at least one degree. Blackedout save yourself the headache in the future and get the plates. I have a set of brand new tires sitting in my garage now that were ruined because I didn't get the CC plates. Well after having to buy new tire guess what I just bought, CC plates. Do it right, don't skimp or you will pay more in the long run.
did u drop ur car urself? did u drill out the rivets on the stock cc plates and move plate all the way over?

if you ate tires theres noway u did. theres enough adjustment to drop almost 1.5 on stock plates. thats y i told him he would be fine without @ 1.75

im not the only person here not running cc plates and not having issues

Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

did u drop ur car urself? did u drill out the rivets on the stock cc plates and move plate all the way over?

if you ate tires theres noway u did. theres enough adjustment to drop almost 1.5 on stock plates. thats y i told him he would be fine without @ 1.75

im not the only person here not running cc plates and not having issues
But you are one of the many giving bad advice....I wash my hands of this thread. Good luck Blackedout.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony

But you are one of the many giving bad advice....I wash my hands of this thread. Good luck Blackedout.
Lol I'll consider it project pony thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
well i am one of many without abnormal tire wear issues....

if ive done it, and it worked..succesfully. then i will suggest it to someone else. this is my second stang i dropped. the alignment guy from firestone is the one who initialy suggested it, and ive had no tire issue from either car.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Road Trip!

So I need spring isolators too huh??? Wow what a lot of work. But it will be worth it right? Especially that I wanna defiantly keep this car.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

What are the upper ball joint and bumper steers ?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i would recommend the spring isolaters. itsa bit of work for sure. but u will like the way the car sits when ur done.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
i would recommend the spring isolaters. itsa bit of work for sure. but u will like the way the car sits when ur done.
Cool. I'm buying one thing at a time. Doing the complete suspension all at once. Do you recommend control arms like this dumb *** at Today's Car care recommended he never seen my car and he said he suggested it
Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
Titus Wadicus
Regular

there are no uppers... and the bump steer kit, well... i cant explain it to u properly, but if u only go 1.75 or 1.5 front, it shouldnt b an issue for u anyway. if you were to go 2.0 it could be an issue. its not on mine, but ive heard of it.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

i personaly would not do the whole a-arm. i think he was thinkn bout your a-arm bushings if u told him it was squeakn...

Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
there are no uppers... and the bump steer kit, well... i cant explain it to u properly, but if u only go 1.75 or 1.5 front, it shouldnt b an issue for u anyway. if you were to go 2.0 it could be an issue. its not on mine, but ive heard of it.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

i personaly would not do the whole a-arm. i think he was thinkn bout your a-arm bushings if u told him it was squeakn...
Oh so later I should change those too those bushings

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Going to be better than new! Can't wait. It rides smooth but buy the time I get all the parts it will be better
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i wouldnt worry bout it dude... dont get ahead of urself there

Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #21
Road Trip!

After that I'm getting some 18 staggered saleen wheels. Then the rear window louver. Gt side scoops and Gt rear bumper with the gt borla stingers exhaust Gt cat back and longtube headers and this car is done. After that I'm getting out of this rent and I'm getting me a house and saving up for whatever then.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

This will be one bad *** v6
Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
Titus Wadicus
Regular

sounds like a plan... definatley a bad *** v6

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
sounds like a plan... definatley a bad *** v6
I took out my back seats and interior and looked at the body no stress cracks and the motor runs outstanding so it should last another good 10 years. so I can save up on something faster. And maybe pass it on to my future son or daughter down the road.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Could I just install lowering springs on my stock shocks and struts?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I'd say depending on the springs you could just lower with them and leave your stock shocks/struts. But with the H&R SS's which are what I have I'd recommend upgrading to either Mach 1 shocks/struts or the Tokico HP's. I mean you could leave the stock ones in with the lowered springs but they will wear out quicker and then you'll be tearing into the area again to replace them..so imo it's easier to replace/upgrade everything at the same time.

Also, you may be able to get away without having to use CC plates with those springs if you use new poly isolators. My alignment guy said I probably could've gotten away with using my stock plates with my setup and I dropped ~2". But he said it was much easier to dial everything in with the adjustable 4 bolts.

So if you lower with the H&R SS's, which drop the front ~1.75, and use poly isos which will take away from the amount being dropped by ~.125-.25", so your actual drop in the front will probably be 1.5-1.65"..which might be able to be aligned using your stock plates if your aligment shop is good.

The bumpsteer kit will help control the steering after you lower. Your suspension geometry will be off balance and when you go down the road and you hit a bump, the car will jolt to one side, especially at high speeds. The adjustable bumpsteer kits will allow you to eliminate that bumpsteer and put you in control of the car again.

For $160, it's worth it to order the kit and install when you're installing everything else. Just hold off on the alignment until you install everything...no sense in paying for an alignment twice.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
I'd say depending on the springs you could just lower with them and leave your stock shocks/struts. But with the H&R SS's which are what I have I'd recommend upgrading to either Mach 1 shocks/struts or the Tokico HP's. I mean you could leave the stock ones in with the lowered springs but they will wear out quicker and then you'll be tearing into the area again to replace them..so imo it's easier to replace/upgrade everything at the same time.

Also, you may be able to get away without having to use CC plates with those springs if you use new poly isolators. My alignment guy said I probably could've gotten away with using my stock plates with my setup and I dropped ~2". But he said it was much easier to dial everything in with the adjustable 4 bolts.

So if you lower with the H&R SS's, which drop the front ~1.75, and use poly isos which will take away from the amount being dropped by ~.125-.25", so your actual drop in the front will probably be 1.5-1.65"..which might be able to be aligned using your stock plates if your aligment shop is good.

The bumpsteer kit will help control the steering after you lower. Your suspension geometry will be off balance and when you go down the road and you hit a bump, the car will jolt to one side, especially at high speeds. The adjustable bumpsteer kits will allow you to eliminate that bumpsteer and put you in control of the car again.

For $160, it's worth it to order the kit and install when you're installing everything else. Just hold off on the alignment until you install everything...no sense in paying for an alignment twice.
Might as well buy everything like previously stated. Alright thanks Brian
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post

U did a better job than i explaining bump steer. adding the new poly isolaters took out the small amount of bump steer i had.

u also did a better job of explaining everything i had to say actually..lol.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
U did a better job than i explaining bump steer. adding the new poly isolaters took out the small amount of bump steer i had.

u also did a better job of explaining everything i had to say actually..lol.
Thanks lol

Yah depending on your setup you can get away with using certain components and skipping others. I chose not to use any isolators and dropped the car ~2" so I pretty much needed the CC plates and bumpsteer kit lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #29
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i was gonna do cc plates, but the isolaters were cheaper and didnt involve re-alignment. more labor intensive breakn it all down again.. but i got more time than cash..lol.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i was gonna do cc plates, but the isolaters were cheaper and didnt involve re-alignment. more labor intensive breakn it all down again.. but i got more time than cash..lol.
ah don't we all

Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #31
Road Trip!

I asked before but could I lower my ride with the stock shock and struts? In case of an Emergancy? Like if my balljoints get worse?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

And I'm dying to lower this car
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #32
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
I asked before but could I lower my ride with the stock shock and struts? In case of an Emergancy? Like if my balljoints get worse?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

And I'm dying to lower this car
i dont c y not... i got stock on mine..

Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yah you can certainly lower with stock shocks/struts.

If you do a more extreme drop like 1.8-2" than eventually you'll want to upgrade to a shock/strut that matches the rate/load of the more aggressive springs.

Basically the only downside to using the stock shocks/struts when lowering ~2" is that you'll wear them out faster and you'll have to tear the area apart again to install new stuff.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Yah you can certainly lower with stock shocks/struts.

If you do a more extreme drop like 1.8-2" than eventually you'll want to upgrade to a shock/strut that matches the rate/load of the more aggressive springs.

Basically the only downside to using the stock shocks/struts when lowering ~2" is that you'll wear them out faster and you'll have to tear the area apart again to install new stuff.
Yeah I remember now you saying that
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #35
Titus Wadicus
Regular

im on the fence on the whole shock thing... as far as wearing them out quicker.. cause technicaly, i guesse when u think bout it... your actualy decreasing the rate of travel the shock has to work with lowering springs. i think that may be more true with lifting a vehicle ppast stock height with stock shocks...because then u are increasing the rate of travel for the shock.. in turn causing it to work harder cause ur increasing the overall area that it has to dampen. with lowering springs... your significantly reducing the duty cycle for the shock.

i hope wut i said makes sense to someone.. or if i wrong, someone please explain it to me..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang