can I redline? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to iphonemaster93
can I redline?

I've got a '00 3.8L v6 manual with a problem with a slight crack in the manifold and a problem with the crankshaft (not clear on what the crankshaft problem is but every time i switch gears, i hear a metal noise). also when i floor it anywhere on 3000 RPMs or after the gear shifter rattles like crazy. my question is, am i still able to shift after the start of the redline zone (my redline starts at 5300 RPMs)? would i get any horsepower if i were to shift after redline? or should i just shift right on redline? what's the bad part about shifting in redline zone, will the engine just shut off or something? i really want to know because it doesn't seem like i'm getting the engine's full horsepower and torque even when i'm shifting at around 5300 RPMs, being complete stock (but i'm putting in an air intake real soon, in about a week or so). and how do i get more hp easily without spending much money? thanks in advance
iphonemaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Before you worry about HP past the redline you need to address the intake issue and whatever the grinding sound is...it's not likely the grinding has anything to do with the crank.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: can I redline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Before you worry about HP past the redline you need to address the intake issue and whatever the grinding sound is...it's not likely the grinding has anything to do with the crank.
i took it into a muffler shop and the guy said it wasn't a critical issue, he said i don't have to fix it (it probably won't get worse for a long time) but it's always a good thing to fix it, said it was gonna cost like $500 or something. then another repair shop told me about the crankshaft problem, test drove the car and said there's something wrong with that but he doesn't know what is. told me to go to a junkyard or something to find a newer used one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93

i took it into a muffler shop and the guy said it wasn't a critical issue, he said i don't have to fix it (it probably won't get worse for a long time) but it's always a good thing to fix it, said it was gonna cost like $500 or something. then another repair shop told me about the crankshaft problem, test drove the car and said there's something wrong with that but he doesn't know what is. told me to go to a junkyard or something to find a newer used one.
A cracked intake is a critical issue. Most $500 repairs are critical.. They told you to get a junk yard crankshaft?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: can I redline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
A cracked intake is a critical issue. Most $500 repairs are critical.. They told you to get a junk yard crankshaft?
so would I be able to bring it into the dealer franchise that I bought it from the replace the part? or can i just bring it into some auto parts shop and have them do it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang