Car tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Car tune

So this is my second car, and really the first one I have to take care of myself and I was wondering if there is any point for me to take my car to a ford dealership for a tune up and a check? Should this be done and will it help to do before I buy some bolt-on this summer?

I got the car last summer and have had only an oil change so far. Nothing else done and nothing gone bad? Just want to make sure my DD drives like it should.
Thanks
02_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Car tune

Best advice is to take the car to the most reputable Mustang shop in the area. It;s all they do, and they do it right. Pick up the phone, make friends, and stop by to see how the operate and treat their customers-
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ah ok thanks. So to a mechanic shop and not to a ford dealership? And just ask them to tune them up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_Mustang
Ah ok thanks. So to a mechanic shop and not to a ford dealership? And just ask them to tune them up
If you have a mustang shop in your area then that's where you should take it. You should also make best buddies with em, could pay off in the future!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I have been looking around and I have even asked a few people I know. Not much for a mustang specialization shop up here. So would I need a ford mechanic or just any good mechanic from anywhere can do his magic?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_Mustang
Well I have been looking around and I have even asked a few people I know. Not much for a mustang specialization shop up here. So would I need a ford mechanic or just any good mechanic from anywhere can do his magic?
Check around for a reputable shop. Generally you will pay much more going to a stealership.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah generally rates are much higher at a dealership...that being said "most" of the time you have a better "warranty" regarding the work being done. I say most since there are plenty of dealerships out there that will try to deny any wrong doing and want to charge you even more...so it all depends on how good your local dealership is. Ask around first before spending any money there.

As said, if you can find a reputable privately owned shop that works on all makes/models of cars I don't see why you couldn't take it there either. I take my mustang to the Ford dealership for oil changes and to my favorite privately owned shop for custom work. Mainly because my Ford dealership won't install anything that isn't directly from Ford or FRPP.

No matter where you go make friends with the people who work there...they will help you out even more in the future and sometimes do extra things for you for no charge

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ya thanks this helps a lot everyone. So I guess now will get it tuned up before I go and buy a tuner etc
Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

And since this will be my first time going in anywhere do I just drive up and ask for a "tune-up" and see what they say? Or should I have a few ideas first and read up online?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah they will know for the most part of a tune up.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_Mustang View Post
And since this will be my first time going in anywhere do I just drive up and ask for a "tune-up" and see what they say? Or should I have a few ideas first and read up online?
Yah you can say tune up...a mechanic will know what you mean, but to be more specific or let them know you have an idea of what you want done mention checking fluid levels, brake/fuel lines, brakes, transmission/rearend/exhaust for leaks, belts/pulleys on engine, tire condition and air pressure, battery amperage, idle control, spark plugs etc. Just a few things that should be routinely checked and classified under "tune up"

An oil change is usually covered in tune up but you mentioned it's been done already so be sure to mention that unless you want it changed again.

Also it might be worthwhile to have the fuel filter replaced. They should be replace every 10k-20k miles depending on driving conditions/use and the type of gas you use (off brand vs name brand). You can go more than 20k miles...I replaced mine at 40k (bought the car with 17k) and it wasn't too dirty...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang