Tlock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikeWatkins17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 53
Tlock

Ok so ive read alot about tlock and gears but im unsure, if i only want a tlock do i need any special tools to do that? Or is it pretty straight foreward?
MikeWatkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
It's pretty much a bolt in but your going to need a rebuilt kit. I need to rebalance the spacing. Also to get the gear on get napa to do the job
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikeWatkins17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 53
Where can i get a rebuild kit? And get napa?
MikeWatkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
America muscle has the kit you need its like 80 dollars and you need napa to press the gear on the tlock. They did my job for 20 dollars
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikeWatkins17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
America muscle has the kit you need its like 80 dollars and you need napa to press the gear on the tlock. They did my job for 20 dollars
So tlock off AM is around 180 plus the rebuild kit is another 80 then napa is 20. So 280 for the whole job? Not bad
MikeWatkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWatkins17
Ok so ive read alot about tlock and gears but im unsure, if i only want a tlock do i need any special tools to do that? Or is it pretty straight foreward?
Werent you selling your ride?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

And are you looking for just the upgraded rear end for your power? Or would you rather think about getting the 8.8 rear end?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Yeah plus also gear oil and your good. I installed a tlock worth it but my next goal is gears
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikeWatkins17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Werent you selling your ride?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

And are you looking for just the upgraded rear end for your power? Or would you rather think about getting the 8.8 rear end?
I do want to sell it but i just cant help but to keep moddin'. Im just lookin for the 2 wheel burnout
MikeWatkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
I got mine used from ebay. Shop around and look for a locker if u want to make sure it doesn't break
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikeWatkins17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
I got mine used from ebay. Shop around and look for a locker if u want to make sure it doesn't break
Locker is different from tlock?
MikeWatkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWatkins17

I do want to sell it but i just cant help but to keep moddin'. Im just lookin for the 2 wheel burnout
Keep what you have. You should. I felt just like you did. But sometimes power isn't the worth selling your ride. Keep it and mod it. But limit it. And save some side money for a v8. Come up with a plan. Dude I was flip flopping ideas one end to another giving people on here headaches bc everyday I had a new idea. Make a plan, stick to it.

For example: I wanna get a t lock and 4.10s and headers for my v6. Performance wise that's it. Body wise Gt hood scoop, side scoops, and rear window louver. Rear seat delete. Done!
Then I'll get my Gt. BLACK of course. And in the end they'll be exactly the same. You'll never know the difference other that sound.

Hope this was helpful. And thanks for the motivation on helping me with my thermostat.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikeWatkins17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Keep what you have. You should. I felt just like you did. But sometimes power isn't the worth selling your ride. Keep it and mod it. But limit it. And save some side money for a v8. Come up with a plan. Dude I was flip flopping ideas one end to another giving people on here headaches bc everyday I had a new idea. Make a plan, stick to it.

For example: I wanna get a t lock and 4.10s and headers for my v6. Performance wise that's it. Body wise Gt hood scoop, side scoops, and rear window louver. Rear seat delete. Done!
Then I'll get my Gt. BLACK of course. And in the end they'll be exactly the same. You'll never know the difference other that sound.

Hope this was helpful. And thanks for the motivation on helping me with my thermostat.
Yeah I deffinitly like my car and put countless hours and tons of money into it i just get frustrated with it sometimes.. Its my DD and sometimes im afraid its not reliable enough to get me to work everyday.. Getting a coilpack today that hopefully fixes the current issues. And np with advice on thermostat it wasnt much but like i said patience is key
MikeWatkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWatkins17

Yeah I deffinitly like my car and put countless hours and tons of money into it i just get frustrated with it sometimes.. Its my DD and sometimes im afraid its not reliable enough to get me to work everyday.. Getting a coilpack today that hopefully fixes the current issues. And np with advice on thermostat it wasnt much but like i said patience is key
What do you mean? Not reliable is the car acting up? Bc if your worried bc it's a v6 then you have nothing to worry about. I drag the **** outa my car and all it did was blow radiator hoses and snap belts. Other than that the motor is very- very tough you'll go tho more tranys than that 3.8 motor. Trust me on this. I stopped dogging my car it runs great like brand new. and now I'm redoing all my interior and adding some new stuff and making my car tip top. There's nothing to worry about. If it makes you feel better get a Haynes magazine at an auto store. Never underestimate that 3.8 liter. Trust me on this. I know. Later on I plan to buy a small truck to bring me back and forth from work while I rebuild my engine to be brand new again. Then I'll make it last another 12 years. Have fun bro.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikeWatkins17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 53
Yeah i worry to easy when small things go wrong.. Its stuttering under load like uphill and pushing on the throttle like 50% but from what ive read it should be a coilpack as ive already replaced plugs wires fuel filter and air filter
MikeWatkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Did you just change your profile picture?

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWatkins17
Yeah i worry to easy when small things go wrong.. Its stuttering under load like uphill and pushing on the throttle like 50% but from what ive read it should be a coilpack as ive already replaced plugs wires fuel filter and air filter
Just work at it. Research what you think is wrong or bring it to a shop. And just get it fixed. Is the cel on? When you get it done just go with confidence. Trust your ride bro
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWatkins17
Yeah i worry to easy when small things go wrong.. Its stuttering under load like uphill and pushing on the throttle like 50% but from what ive read it should be a coilpack as ive already replaced plugs wires fuel filter and air filter
Our cara are old maintenance happens and things go wrong, comes with age. Our cars are very reliable tho and I seen tons being sold with 200-300k miles on them an they run like new. Trannies a little unreliable but the motor is great. Car will last you a long time
__________________
"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

Our cara are old maintenance happens and things go wrong, comes with age. Our cars are very reliable tho and I seen tons being sold with 200-300k miles on them an they run like new. Trannies a little unreliable but the motor is great. Car will last you a long time
Told ya
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikeWatkins17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 53
Yeah i changed profile pic. And if motors last that long i guess i dont have too much to worry about, i always change oil every 2k and all reg maint. It only has 135k right now
MikeWatkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
A locker is strong and locks. The tlock acts like a clutch and only kicks when slipping
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWatkins17
Yeah i changed profile pic. And if motors last that long i guess i dont have too much to worry about, i always change oil every 2k and all reg maint. It only has 135k right now
That's as many miles as I got.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Don't change oil that fast its just a waste of money man
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,252
I change mine every 3k and mine has 134k miles still runnin strong
__________________
"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Ok I do about 10 miles on my car for work Monday thro Friday. On weekends, maybe to walmart or to the movies with gf. I change every 3 to 4 months. You have to know oil. Just check your viscosity of the oil.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackedout03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Delaware
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Keep what you have. You should. I felt just like you did. But sometimes power isn't the worth selling your ride. Keep it and mod it. But limit it. And save some side money for a v8. Come up with a plan. Dude I was flip flopping ideas one end to another giving people on here headaches bc everyday I had a new idea. Make a plan, stick to it.

For example: I wanna get a t lock and 4.10s and headers for my v6. Performance wise that's it. Body wise Gt hood scoop, side scoops, and rear window louver. Rear seat delete. Done!
Then I'll get my Gt. BLACK of course. And in the end they'll be exactly the same. You'll never know the difference other that sound.

Hope this was helpful. And thanks for the motivation on helping me with my thermostat.
+ 100 on the black GT
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
I want a 99-04 BLACK. Gt I'll even except 95-98
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
I want a 99-04 BLACK. Gt I'll even except 95-98
+1000000 im with both of u on that one.
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackedout03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Delaware
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
I want a 99-04 BLACK. Gt I'll even except 95-98
I want 99-04 or 11-12
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Accept- not except

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout03

I want 99-04 or 11-12
The newer Gts are cool. They make me real jealous. But for now I love 99-04. I know a lot about them. And looking the old models helps a guy like me bc everyone wants """the next best thing""" so they trade or sell parts off there 99-04s and those will go to my blackedout mustangs. I want 3 more like blackedout. 1 v6 daily driver, one v6 turboed, and Gt twin turboed.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackedout03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Delaware
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Accept- not except

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------



The newer Gts are cool. They make me real jealous. But for now I love 99-04. I know a lot about them. And looking the old models helps a guy like me bc everyone wants """the next best thing""" so they trade or sell parts off there 99-04s and those will go to my blackedout mustangs. I want 3 more like blackedout. 1 v6 daily driver, one v6 turboed, and Gt twin turboed.
I would like a v6 drag, v8 DD/ drag, then 2013 gt500 for fun lol but I'm 19 and that's a lot of insurance lol
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #30
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Dude you have a long life ahead of you. And you will get all that, if you keep wanting it bad enough
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackedout03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Delaware
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Dude you have a long life ahead of you. And you will get all that, if you keep wanting it bad enough
Ya that's true but I believe now I gotta get my trans rebuilt
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout03

I would like a v6 drag, v8 DD/ drag, then 2013 gt500 for fun lol but I'm 19 and that's a lot of insurance lol
And money lol
__________________
"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
HoofbeatofUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Maryland
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
Don't change oil that fast its just a waste of money man
Yea that's ridiculous !
HoofbeatofUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tlock for 7.5 or craigslist a 8.8? V6 stang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 9 03-09-2012 11:16 AM
used gears and tlock kickerofdoom Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 16 06-01-2011 02:30 PM
tlock best place to buy kickerofdoom Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 04-07-2011 02:37 AM
gears and tlock installing them kickerofdoom Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 03-27-2011 09:43 PM
Gears and tlock install iceman08 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 2 05-02-2006 09:21 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:41 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.