Mac longtubes or pacesetters? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mac longtubes or pacesetters?

By next week ima have order my headers n either off road h pipe or high flows. What do you guys recommend Mac longtubes or pacesetters and I want to know what else I would need like h pipe or high flow cats or both. Thanks any help would help
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
mac longtube and mac off road h pipe. thats wat i wana get wen i can afford it. that combination along with flow 40's and a cam is to die for !!!! beast

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: Mac longtubes or pacesetters?

I have Pacesetter LTs and a Mac O/R hpipe... had to have a shop fit some pipes to match them... but well worth it!

I've heard mac's are awesome... but I couldn't pass up the price on the pacesetters
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmabbott
I have Pacesetter LTs and a Mac O/R hpipe... had to have a shop fit some pipes to match them... but well worth it!

I've heard mac's are awesome... but I couldn't pass up the price on the pacesetters
Sweet thanks I know pacesetters are cheap but how's the sound u think there's diff between them n the Mac headers
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

probably no difference in sound... headers are headers... I had to do an EGR delete with mine, and had to have custom work done to fit my mac o/r h pipe... but overall sounds really good with my Flowmaster super 44s... It actually made my care a little quieter going from manifolds to long tubes.. but a better quality of sound definitely. and a few extra rwhp's never hurt either
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
probably no difference in sound... headers are headers... I had to do an EGR delete with mine, and had to have custom work done to fit my mac o/r h pipe... but overall sounds really good with my Flowmaster super 44s... It actually made my care a little quieter going from manifolds to long tubes.. but a better quality of sound definitely. and a few extra rwhp's never hurt either
Koo I was gonna ask you if the pacesetters connect to the Mac h pipe and what u mean egr delete I heard about it but don't really knw what it means
Old 03-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ERG = Exhaust Gas Re-circulation.. If you have a tube running from your manifolds to a valve on your intake manifold... you still have an EGR... I bought LT's with no EGR hole, so I deleted my EGR by removing all of the wiring, tubes and the EGR valve, and plugged the holes on the manifold... then had BAMA tune for it...

I just don't see the point in all this emissions crap on the car... It just restricts the car's performance... as if my v6 struggles enough with horsepower...

I live in Indiana, so we don't have to pass emissions... if you have to pass emissions, make sure you buy the Long Tubes with the EGR... then you don't have to worry about removing anything or tuning for it...
Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ERG = Exhaust Gas Re-circulation.. If you have a tube running from your manifolds to a valve on your intake manifold... you still have an EGR... I bought LT's with no EGR hole, so I deleted my EGR by removing all of the wiring, tubes and the EGR valve, and plugged the holes on the manifold... then had BAMA tune for it...

I just don't see the point in all this emissions crap on the car... It just restricts the car's performance... as if my v6 struggles enough with horsepower...

I live in Indiana, so we don't have to pass emissions... if you have to pass emissions, make sure you buy the Long Tubes with the EGR... then you don't have to worry about removing anything or tuning for it...
Yea I live in Cali and u can't do **** to ure car. So I'm better of getting the Mac long tubes since they have the egr
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Yea I live in Cali and u can't do **** to ure car. So I'm better of getting the Mac long tubes since they have the egr
you can call pacesetter and order the long tubes that have the egr...

Just because a website does not have the egr option listed... doesn't mean it doesn't exist... call the company (mac or pacesetter) and they cal sell to you directly, or tell you a cheaper place...

I called pacesetter, told them I wanted an egr delete on my 98 v6 with their long tubes, and they sent me a link to the correct headers on SUMMIT...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you can call pacesetter and order the long tubes that have the egr...

Just because a website does not have the egr option listed... doesn't mean it doesn't exist... call the company (mac or pacesetter) and they cal sell to you directly, or tell you a cheaper place...

I called pacesetter, told them I wanted an egr delete on my 98 v6 with their long tubes, and they sent me a link to the correct headers on SUMMIT...
Sweet man thnks for ure help. Do u have a vid of ure exhaust sound?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet man thnks for ure help. Do u have a vid of ure exhaust sound?
I do... I just have never posted it before... I've got it apart right now installing new heads/cam/intake... but I'll see if I can find the video and post it for you to give you an idea...

btw... I looked at your pictures... that's one sweet looking ride! I almost got similar looking wheels for mine, and I still kinda wish I had... I have also been debating painting my roof black... nicely done!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I do... I just have never posted it before... I've got it apart right now installing new heads/cam/intake... but I'll see if I can find the video and post it for you to give you an idea...

btw... I looked at your pictures... that's one sweet looking ride! I almost got similar looking wheels for mine, and I still kinda wish I had... I have also been debating painting my roof black... nicely done!
Yea if u do tht be sick. But I will be ordering the headers n h pipe this week for sure. N thanks man yea I love these wheels their sweet I get compliments everywhere. Do it man it will look great!! Thnks for all ure help
Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Get 'em ceramic coated. Cali will need Cali cats too.
Useful information as to why ceramic is a "must have" plus anything else you might ever want to know regarding designing an exhaust system:
Auto Exhaust Science
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
Get 'em ceramic coated. Cali will need Cali cats too.
Useful information as to why ceramic is a "must have" plus anything else you might ever want to know regarding designing an exhaust system:
Auto Exhaust Science
Ceramic is an extra 100 bucks I think so I'll think about tht. I knw u need cats in Cali but I think I might get it smogged illegally so thts why I wanna go with hpipe n no cats
Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ceramic is an extra 100 bucks I think so I'll think about tht. I knw u need cats in Cali but I think I might get it smogged illegally so thts why I wanna go with hpipe n no cats
For the sake of the final product sound-wise, I suggest you at least put on high flow cats.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

For the sake of the final product sound-wise, I suggest you at least put on high flow cats.
So sound wise it would be better to get the high flows
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So sound wise it would be better to get the high flows
Yes.
-For mid-pipes, you have some choices: No mid-pipe "divorced duals", "H" pipe, "X" pipe, "ProChamber", and when it comes to mid-pipes, there are alot of slight differences from each manufacturer. you-tube will have examples of your set-up with cats and without cats.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes.
-For mid-pipes, you have some choices: No mid-pipe "divorced duals", "H" pipe, "X" pipe, "ProChamber", and when it comes to mid-pipes, there are alot of slight differences from each manufacturer. you-tube will have examples of your set-up with cats and without cats.
Sweet so longtubes n hpipe with high flows would sound best?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet so longtubes n hpipe with high flows would sound best?
Yes... that will be the absolute best sound short of removing the cats... I'll post my exhaust video for you tomorrow so you can get an idea of the end product

I have Pacestter long tubes, an O/R mac H pipe, and Flowmaster super 44s (american thunder) catback...

The only difference with having high flow cats is the end sound will be slightly quieter, but will actually have a clearer sound quality!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I live in Cali also but don't you only need to smog it once when it you sell it or are taking it off of non-op? mines smogged already and I don't have to smog it again until i sell it(in about 20 or so years) So i'm planning on doing a cat delete and maybe a egr delete(does this do anything in peformance?). Maybe the smog is because i'm in a rural area.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Here's that exhaust video of my car... it wasn't taken too long ago, before I installed the Tlock and 3.73s... so no burnout on this one haha...

Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

IF YOUR JUST GOING FOR SOUND Wither would be fine ,and performance would be close between the two
but quality wise ? I've had Macs in the past , they're ok at best amd I've heard bad things about pace setter quality also / but you get what you pay for
I know most of us are on budgets , but personally I'd save up a little longer and get a good set of headers , took me 3 years but I finally got my Kooks on my Mach 1 ........ only the best for my baby !
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here's that exhaust video of my car... it wasn't taken too long ago, before I installed the Tlock and 3.73s... so no burnout on this one haha...

Nice car man looks great. Sounds good too I'm not digging the top end though sounds a bit raspy so maybe I'll look into high flows instead of the offload h
Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice car man looks great. Sounds good too I'm not digging the top end though sounds a bit raspy so maybe I'll look into high flows instead of the offload h
yep, thanks man. The improvement in sound quality with the high flow cats is exactly what i was referring too in my earlier comment. I agree it gets raspy in the top end... I think it actually sounded better when I had the stock manifolds... but my new heads/cam/intake setup will remove that... and your split port heads will have a different sound in the top end too compared to my single port, but this will at least give you an idea!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yep, thanks man. The improvement in sound quality with the high flow cats is exactly what i was referring too in my earlier comment. I agree it gets raspy in the top end... I think it actually sounded better when I had the stock manifolds... but my new heads/cam/intake setup will remove that... and your split port heads will have a different sound in the top end too compared to my single port, but this will at least give you an idea!
Yea ok well ill definately look into high flows. I also want to do cams later down the road so I wanna get a good setup tht will compliment the cams
Old 03-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I saved up for 3 years also. YESTERDAY, I got my new exhaust system installed. I'll make a video of it real soon. ~MAC ceramic Longtube Headers, High Flow Cats, MAC stainless steel ProChamber, Flowmaster 10's.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
I saved up for 3 years also. YESTERDAY, I got my new exhaust system installed. I'll make a video of it real soon. ~MAC ceramic Longtube Headers, High Flow Cats, MAC stainless steel ProChamber, Flowmaster 10's.
Flowmaster 10s huh? ****'s gonna be loud! Bet it sounds great though since you have the high flow cats!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Flowmaster 10's. It really a very quiet exhaust. You can hear it from a distance when I get on it and RPM's are up @2500-3K RPM's though. I'll get a video together this weekend.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska

i need to put my LT's in, i picked up a set of pacesetters for 30 bucks
whyxitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyxitx View Post
i need to put my LT's in, i picked up a set of pacesetters for 30 bucks
Nice! I traded my old midpipe for mine at a local pull-a-part... guy had a brand new set in his shop! said he needed some cats of my stock ypipe... so we traded... I love the pacesetters. Pain to install, and I get some rubbing when I make a HARD left turn... but otherwise no real issues!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

FYI- I posted a quick video with a cheap camera to hear the quiet low tone of it, if interested.
-MAC LT headers, ect.....
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

what's the link?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

YouTube link for the new exhaust below. I'll get a real camera and play around with it this week and post it.
3.8L V6 Mustang Flowmaster Prochamber Exhaust - YouTube
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds pretty good man! I almost bought a prochamber... but didn't want the restriction when I start running boost.... I'm gonna weld some resonators on before my mufflers, and it'l have a similar effect on the sound as a prochamber, but without restriction... I like your setup though. nice deep tone
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good. I don't think a ProChamber inhibits flow at all. There was a Cobra up in the air next to mine with one. They were invented to increase flow, torque, & HP.
Patent US5740671 - Balance box exhaust accelerator - Google Patents

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang