abs light turned on. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
abs light turned on.

What exactly does it mean?
Vile87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It means your traction control is off lol, is your rear tires bigger in the back than the front
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How come mine doesn't have abs? Mine is expensive anniversary with power seats and everything is power but not abs. Doesn't make since to have everything expensive and high class but not that.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Traction control not abs.. Well it doesn't have either lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Sorry, had to say something on this one! Abs stands for "anti-lock brake system". If your abs light is illuminated that means that there is a malfunction somewhere and it is no longer on.

Traction controll is different. Whole different funtion and Whole different light bulb.

If you don't know what these things do, i'm sure you can google search their functions for an accurate answer.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well sir. If your anti lock brake system isn't functioning your traction control has no way to apply the brakes so the system shuts off traction control, I know this from experience, not from google, once you try to turn a little to fast let me know how you like going sideways.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffer227
Well sir. If your anti lock brake system isn't functioning your traction control has no way to apply the brakes so the system shuts off traction control, I know this from experience, not from google, once you try to turn a little to fast let me know how you like going sideways.
I went to automotive school for a while and studied this. (which in no way makes me right). But i had tons of ABS problems with an old z28 of mine. I wasnt trying to be an a$$hole, sorry i it seemed that way..

I was just trying to make it clear that its not limited to a traction control problem. I think they do however have a shared control module, because both of them rely on inputs from the wheel speed sensors in order to function. So, they go hand in hand. I Think we are on the same path and have different ways of wording it.

Bottom line, as you quoted: if your ABS is off then your TC has no way of working.

I'd put money on it that homie has a bad ABS control module. (assuming that the light keeps comming on).

I'd say Best way to figure is to plug a scanner into it and check. Who knows you may get lucky and have a dirty sensor!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
ABS light will also come on now and again if your brake fluid is low, usually under hard acceleration. That's the quickest and easiest thing to check. Experience trumps Google! If your fluid is good then your probably looking at having to replace sensors. But with a light that is not always on it would make sense to take the 30 seconds to make sure your topped off on brake fluid.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I noticed the light turns on when I accelerate faster than usual. Also my rear wheel are 45 and front are 35 don't know if it makes a difference. All in all ABS light is not on all the time. It's on and off.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Oh and my traction control light stay on when the abs comes on my dash
Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh its probably those rear tires then.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Exact same thing happened to my camaro, the rear tires where just a tiny bit bigger than the front. Seemed to throw those sensors off.... Drove me nuts.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Because the speed sensors think the rear wheels are moving faster than the front ones so traction control try's applying the brakes to slow them down but it can't so the computer freaks out and just shuts off the ABS
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So its no biggie?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Not really. You still have your brakes regardless. If it really bothers you id get some loaner wheels that are all the same size and see if you get the same results.

When my abs was off, i tried pretty hard to lock up the tires. it was alot harder than i thought. you gotta really hit them hard... Unless your going through a puddle or something.

Just remember to pump the brake pedal if you start to skid.

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Id also just top off my fluid too like Poject pony recomended.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Careful turning to fast also, I spun out on my old tires, so I made sure to get some 255s this time lol
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
ABS light will also come on now and again if your brake fluid is low, usually under hard acceleration. That's the quickest and easiest thing to check. Experience trumps Google! If your fluid is good then your probably looking at having to replace sensors. But with a light that is not always on it would make sense to take the 30 seconds to make sure your topped off on brake fluid.
I don't know what I was thinking, the e brake light will come on when low on fluid, not the ABS light, my bad. But still wouldn't hurt to check the fluid anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang