X or h pipe? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
X or h pipe?

I bought my car with the mods already done to it. It's a 99 3.8L 5 speed v6. The guy I bought it from said there is an o/r x pipe with flowmaster 40's and 3" silverline tips. I think he also said there were aftermarket headers too, not sure what type though. I love the sound it makes at idle, and from 1-3k rpm, but after that if I hit it, it's just really loud and sounds too high pitched. So my question is, would an h pipe sound better? I've heard it's a deeper tone but is it deeper for v6 as well? I don't punch it very often, mainly just merging onto the highway, but I still want that deeper sound. I've heard people say x pipes are raspy yet I don't think mine is raspy, then again I've never heard x and h next to each other. Is it worth making the switch to an h pipe?
Whitestang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestang93
I bought my car with the mods already done to it. It's a 99 3.8L 5 speed v6. The guy I bought it from said there is an o/r x pipe with flowmaster 40's and 3" silverline tips. I think he also said there were aftermarket headers too, not sure what type though. I love the sound it makes at idle, and from 1-3k rpm, but after that if I hit it, it's just really loud and sounds too high pitched. So my question is, would an h pipe sound better? I've heard it's a deeper tone but is it deeper for v6 as well? I don't punch it very often, mainly just merging onto the highway, but I still want that deeper sound. I've heard people say x pipes are raspy yet I don't think mine is raspy, then again I've never heard x and h next to each other. Is it worth making the switch to an h pipe?
My buddy has a 5.0 cobra with a x pipe it's a bit too raspy for me and I wanted to sound different when I was cruising with him, so I put an H-pipe on my very low rumble, not alot of drone, I would assume the same sound characteristics would be expected out of a 6 banger just not a old school v-8 sound, look to YouTube that's what I did to make my decision
jwhayne0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
get an h pipe. i think they sound more deep tone and not too raspy like an x.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

And if you but the h and don't like it, someone's always wanting to buy them you can resell it
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If your going to do a mid pipe this is just what i think you would want the one for power. So x pipe will increase by like one or two. The h pipe low power gain isn't true not for our cars. But sound is one reason to get one or the other
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it! Is the best place to get one AM? Or is used ok? I'm a college student with not a lot of money to bust so I wanna do it right the first time. And how easy/hard is it to make the swap?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it! Is the best place to get one AM? Or is used ok? I'm a college student with not a lot of money to bust so I wanna do it right the first time. And how easy/hard is it to make the swap?
Used is ok as long as no one has welded/chopped/modified the pipe for there application every car is a little different when it comes to exhaust some are bent more some less, AM offers a forum discount also, 6% which coupled with free shipping is awesome
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayne0001

Used is ok as long as no one has welded/chopped/modified the pipe for there application every car is a little different when it comes to exhaust some are bent more some less, AM offers a forum discount also, 6% which coupled with free shipping is awesome
That's awesome! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely have to check out AM if I can't find some nice ones on Craigslist.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Definatly h. Next I'm getting an h pipe with long tubes, with something low tone like magnaflow.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Definatly h. Next I'm getting an h pipe with long tubes, with something low tone like magnaflow.
On my v6.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

On my v6.
Are you saying definitely h cause you have an x pipe and dont like it? Or you've heard h's on a 6 and think it sounds much better?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If your wanting a deeper tone then get the H-pipe!.. Also check out the ProChamber too!.. Neither one of those is "Raspy" like the X-pipe!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

Are you saying definitely h cause you have an x pipe and dont like it? Or you've heard h's on a 6 and think it sounds much better?
Lol both. You don't want an x pipe once you heard the difference.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
If your wanting a deeper tone then get the H-pipe!.. Also check out the ProChamber too!.. Neither one of those is "Raspy" like the X-pipe!..
What is the pro chamber? I've never heard of that? Is it part of the pipe or a whole different pipe completely?

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Lol both. You don't want an x pipe once you heard the difference.
Haha alright thanks I'll definitely check it out!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What is the pro chamber? I've never heard of that? Is it part of the pipe or a whole different pipe completely?

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Haha alright thanks I'll definitely check it out!
It's a completely different mid pipe than the X or H!..
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's a completely different mid pipe than the X or H!..
Is it just as deep as an h? Why do you recommend it? Sorry for the questions. Just tryin to figure it out
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is it just as deep as an h? Why do you recommend it? Sorry for the questions. Just tryin to figure it out
Nothing wrong with asking questions!!... Lol. It gives a deeper tone than an X-pipe!.. But compared to an H-pipe it is similar but different!.. I've only personally heard one that was on a V6 and it sounded almost like a GT!.. The guy also had LT headers on too!... My advice would be to YouTube it and see what ya think!..
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nothing wrong with asking questions!!... Lol. It gives a deeper tone than an X-pipe!.. But compared to an H-pipe it is similar but different!.. I've only personally heard one that was on a V6 and it sounded almost like a GT!.. The guy also had LT headers on too!... My advice would be to YouTube it and see what ya think!..
That is awesome if it makes it sound like a gt! I will definitely check out YouTube. Do you know if the are they more expensive? Any specific type of prochamber? Or will any type bring out the beast in my 6'er lol
Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That is awesome if it makes it sound like a gt! I will definitely check out YouTube. Do you know if the are they more expensive? Any specific type of prochamber? Or will any type bring out the beast in my 6'er lol
Just remember the sound is relative to what all else you do to your exhaust!.. Price wise from what I've seen they are about the same as the X or H Pipes!.. As far as brands, I've heard alot of good about Mac ProChambers!... Hope this all helps you in your search!...
Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just remember the sound is relative to what all else you do to your exhaust!.. Price wise from what I've seen they are about the same as the X or H Pipes!.. As far as brands, I've heard alot of good about Mac ProChambers!... Hope this all helps you in your search!...
Thanks a lot! I appreciate all the help
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks a lot! I appreciate all the help
No problem bro!..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang