Tranny Flush???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Tranny Flush????

I have a 2004 Mustang manual and it is getting a littl tough to change gears i just got a new stage 2 clutch and the synch rows looked fine i thought it were those or the pilot bearing but its still hard to get in gear any ideas if a tranny flush would help i hear horror stories about them and i heard good ones so i was just wanting some more input.
Thanks
Casper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Not sure about flushing a manual tranny but put fresh gear oil then get a Lucas oil additive. That stuff if like honey, it will sweeten it right up.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Tranny Flush????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87 View Post
Not sure about flushing a manual tranny but put fresh gear oil then get a Lucas oil additive. That stuff if like honey, it will sweeten it right up.
Thanks i can just add it right to the old fluid or should i drain some out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think they make some you can just add but I would read just to make sure. If you had time and money I would replace all the fluid. How long since its been changed?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

My opinion-
Drain out all the fluid and fill it up with fresh fluid. You can fill it through the shifter base once shifter is removed. I have been using Mobil1 automatic transmission fluid for hundreds of thousands of miles & it's great. The other option Tremec recommends is the GM Synromesh fluid.
If you manage to get all of the fluid out, our transmission hold 5.6 pts.
You replace with fresh fluid and you can rest your mind and you will know the condition of the fluid for the records. When I had a hard time with getting it into 1st gear, it was resolved with fresh fluid and a short throw shifter.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think they make some you can just add but I would read just to make sure. If you had time and money I would replace all the fluid. How long since its been changed?
Im not sure never been changed since i had the car and it has 67,000 on it

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
My opinion-
Drain out all the fluid and fill it up with fresh fluid. You can fill it through the shifter base once shifter is removed. I have been using Mobil1 automatic transmission fluid for hundreds of thousands of miles & it's great. The other option Tremec recommends is the GM Synromesh fluid.
If you manage to get all of the fluid out, our transmission hold 5.6 pts.
You replace with fresh fluid and you can rest your mind and you will know the condition of the fluid for the records. When I had a hard time with getting it into 1st gear, it was resolved with fresh fluid and a short throw shifter.
Thanks i think i might just do that drain it and replace it rather than flush. But isnt that basically the same thing? I never changed or messed with the tranny
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its rather easy to change, you dont have to take the shifter off but thats one way to go no doubt.

You can get a pump thing and take the fill plug/drain plug out (have the car level in the air) and pump fluid in until it comes out of the fill plug. Thats the level you want.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

A true flush on something like a BG machine would definitely be better. That uses extra fluid to insure all of the fluid in the sump is fresh. Draining it always leaves a little of the old fluid behind obviously. Expensive but good if the tranny fluid has broken down and stinks or is dark colored.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

i just did my GT which has the tremec 3650... as stated above:
1. provided you can jack and support car SAFELY, 1st make sure you can get at both drain AND fill plugs easily. mine were on same side, and no prob to reach
2. remove drain plug and allow to drain completely, then replace drain plug
3. then refill with new, using simple hand operated fluid transfer pump(support or have someone else hold your fill container as you don't want to accidentally knock it over!). i had no trouble doing this by myself.
4. replace fill plug and test drive. check for leaks from plugs.

note: it would be easier to fill from shift mounting on top of tranny, but this requires removing the shifter and some extra work of course. if you are planning on installing a new short throw shifter, do both jobs at same time and kill 2 birds at with one stone(i did not have the forethought, and purchased and installed mine 3 weeks later... DUH on me!)
note: if you feel need to 'flush' but don't want to use 'flushing' additive, just buy cheap(autozone) fluid, run for couple days and do drain and fill again with your preferred fluid.
note: before deciding on synthetic tranny fluid, read up or call manufacturer. tremec told me they only recommend Mobil1 synthetic for my unit which is a t-3650, and do not suggest use of RP, AMSOil etc., OR additives(i had wanted to use lucas myself!). sounds kind of strange, but he did explain it's because they have no testing experience with those fluids.

hope this helps!
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
i just did my GT which has the tremec 3650... as stated above:
1. provided you can jack and support car SAFELY, 1st make sure you can get at both drain AND fill plugs easily. mine were on same side, and no prob to reach
2. remove drain plug and allow to drain completely, then replace drain plug
3. then refill with new, using simple hand operated fluid transfer pump(support or have someone else hold your fill container as you don't want to accidentally knock it over!). i had no trouble doing this by myself.
4. replace fill plug and test drive. check for leaks from plugs.

note: it would be easier to fill from shift mounting on top of tranny, but this requires removing the shifter and some extra work of course. if you are planning on installing a new short throw shifter, do both jobs at same time and kill 2 birds at with one stone(i did not have the forethought, and purchased and installed mine 3 weeks later... DUH on me!)
note: if you feel need to 'flush' but don't want to use 'flushing' additive, just buy cheap(autozone) fluid, run for couple days and do drain and fill again with your preferred fluid.
note: before deciding on synthetic tranny fluid, read up or call manufacturer. tremec told me they only recommend Mobil1 synthetic for my unit which is a t-3650, and do not suggest use of RP, AMSOil etc., OR additives(i had wanted to use lucas myself!). sounds kind of strange, but he did explain it's because they have no testing experience with those fluids.

hope this helps!
Thanks it did help a lot just still debating on a refill or flush just don't want to ruin my tranny with the flush but I would assume that its better for it lol
Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

no, you won't ruin it... if you do do it yourself and need any help by all means let me know.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Would you guys recommend just going to jiffy lubes to do the tranny flush
Old 03-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't wanna bother with it then I guess you could. I prefer to do as much work as possible by myself, that way if I'm under the car doin the tranny fluid I can also check my u joints or tranny mounts. Some random kid at a jiffy lube might not even notice a bad u joint let alone care enough to tell you that you had one. I just like to know everything that's going on with my car. I check my tire pressure every week, a little obsessive? Maybe lol
Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you don't wanna bother with it then I guess you could. I prefer to do as much work as possible by myself, that way if I'm under the car doin the tranny fluid I can also check my u joints or tranny mounts. Some random kid at a jiffy lube might not even notice a bad u joint let alone care enough to tell you that you had one. I just like to know everything that's going on with my car. I check my tire pressure every week, a little obsessive? Maybe lol
ditto all that!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
ditto all that!
Get some Mobil1 auto tranny fluid and go at it. Very simple job. Fluid should be fine to just drain & fill with new.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
no, you won't ruin it... if you do do it yourself and need any help by all means let me know.
Thank you I think I might do it my self so I know what is going on and can learn

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang