Single in dual out muffler? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Single in dual out muffler?

I've asked a few exhaust shops and they all say you can't put a single inlet dual outlet muffler on a v6, why not? I don't have the Money for true duals do this would be perfect, does anyone have this or know why it won't work?
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffer227
I've asked a few exhaust shops and they all say you can't put a single inlet dual outlet muffler on a v6, why not? I don't have the Money for true duals do this would be perfect, does anyone have this or know why it won't work?
The thing I can think of is the way they would have to bend the pipes for the tails , the bends would b so sharp that I could see it causing a back pressure issue , exhaust is designed to flow as straight as possible with the least amount of bends in the pipe.
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Single in dual out muffler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffer227 View Post
Evidently it is because "they can't".
I had a teacher years ago who always said, "Cain't never could do nothing."
And it must be true, if they say they cain't, then they sure cain't do it.

There is no reason this couldn't be done and I think it's a good idea, which will save some money over using two mufflers.
Just measure and map out where the muffler will physically fit, then figure out how you will run the pipes. Simplicity in itself for a good muffler shop.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, thanks, I'm gonna keep looking for some shops,
Old 03-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok, thanks, I'm gonna keep looking for some shops,
If you have a place to work, consider buying a few tools and a small MIG welder.
Then when the project is completed you will have the tools and welder left over instead of lining someone else's pockets with your money.
You can get exhaust piping and bends from almost any auto parts store.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you really want the true duals just watch craigslist. I've seen numerous true dual pipes that you can pick up cheap. And mufflers too. But the dual outlet would be tough to do but not impossible. I can see alot of sharp bends that could restrict the flow in it though
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt View Post
If you really want the true duals just watch craigslist. I've seen numerous true dual pipes that you can pick up cheap. And mufflers too. But the dual outlet would be tough to do but not impossible. I can see alot of sharp bends that could restrict the flow in it though
You'd just have 2 more bends to get the outlet connect to the far tailpipe.
I don't think it would be a big issue on a V6, especially if you were using 2.5" tail pipes.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well even if they were restrictive the exhaust will flow more on the side of least resistance
Old 03-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Outlet Muffler.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	45565  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surffer227
I dont see why not?...I go to Merlins for my exhaust work because I know the owner...I have dual exhaust (single in dual out) on my v6 camaro flowmaster 40 series straight from summit!..but then again 4th gen Z28 maro's dont have true duals anyways
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Just make sure you take your car to a Mustang shop or simular. The shop has to be good at welding and something they do almost daily. That was exactly right- If he can't do it, it's because he can't do it. And don't think about places like Midas or something like that. They are like robots, they can not "create" or think outside of the box that mufflers are delivered in.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
Just make sure you take your car to a Mustang shop or simular. The shop has to be good at welding and something they do almost daily. That was exactly right- If he can't do it, it's because he can't do it. And don't think about places like Midas or something like that. They are like robots, they can not "create" or think outside of the box that mufflers are delivered in.
+10000000
Old 04-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

they reason why most muffler shops wont or say the cant do a single in to dual out exhaust is because of the size of the muffler(s). If looked under your car you'll notice that the mufflers sit under the body of the car just before the rear tires. there is very little room else ware to place the muffler. in order for this to work you are going to need to use either Flowmaster hushpower or Magnaflow round muffer with a y pipe to work.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227 View Post
they reason why most muffler shops wont or say the cant do a single in to dual out exhaust is because of the size of the muffler(s). If looked under your car you'll notice that the mufflers sit under the body of the car just before the rear tires. there is very little room else ware to place the muffler. in order for this to work you are going to need to use either Flowmaster hushpower or Magnaflow round muffer with a y pipe to work.
I have a close friend who owns a muffler shop.
On numerous occasions I have helped him design and install systems that other shops in the area said were impossible.

I scratch built an entire dual exhaust system once for a 78 Mustang II with long tube headers, now that's a crowded undercarriage. All of the shops in the area said it was impossible, that there just wasn't enough room. To me that was a challenge so I went about proving them wrong. I did share my design and within a year or two there were numerous II's running around with my system design on them.

Mufflers come in a variety of sizes, so finding one that fits really shouldn't be an issue, or with a little extra effort you can build your own to fit. It all boils down to how bad you want something and how far you are willing to go to get what you want.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I dont think it can not be done but those are the reason why some muffler shops wont do what he asked. i posted the pics of the under side of my V6 to help aid in his efforts. I also think the a Hushpower or small canister muffler like a Magnaflow with a Y-Pipe would work best. Like you you said it is the size of the muffler that gonna break or make this happen. he might want think about using a single chamber muffler as well. these are very small but he still might have issues with the drive shaft
Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227 View Post
I dont think it can not be done but those are the reason why some muffler shops wont do what he asked. i posted the pics of the under side of my V6 to help aid in his efforts. I also think the a Hushpower or small canister muffler like a Magnaflow with a Y-Pipe would work best. Like you you said it is the size of the muffler that gonna break or make this happen. he might want think about using a single chamber muffler as well. these are very small but he still might have issues with the drive shaft
+1 Agreed

It just irks me that some of them won't even try.
If it isn't a standard install they can't think outside the box.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
+1 Agreed

It just irks me that some of them won't even try.
If it isn't a standard install they can't think outside the box.
yeap i hope he gets what he wants
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I was so pissed the first time I wanted to install a dual exhaust and the first two shops I went to said it couldn't be done and they made fun of the parts I chose. I did get it done the following day from a real fab shop and took my car by each of the first two shops with their managers and had them look and listen to the car. I asked repeatedly-"Sounds terrible, huh?" "It couldn't be done, huh"?? I honestly got no response from any of the 4-5 people. They looked at the car and then at me and turned their backs and walked away. I hate stupid *** lazy minded people. Especially the old ones who are supposed to have the most experience. Dumb *** people-
Old 04-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
I was so pissed the first time I wanted to install a dual exhaust and the first two shops I went to said it couldn't be done and they made fun of the parts I chose. I did get it done the following day from a real fab shop and took my car by each of the first two shops with their managers and had them look and listen to the car. I asked repeatedly-"Sounds terrible, huh?" "It couldn't be done, huh"?? I honestly got no response from any of the 4-5 people. They looked at the car and then at me and turned their backs and walked away. I hate stupid *** lazy minded people. Especially the old ones who are supposed to have the most experience. Dumb *** people-
Warning!

A bumper sticker just for you.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Warning!

A bumper sticker just for you.

LMAO
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

So my next question is there a big difference between a single exhause or the dual outlet muffler, performance or sound wise? Cause I'm still keeping my y pipe and all that, just the one or two tailpipes would be the difference, and I'm looking at a flow 40 series, herd they make the best sound on our sixers
Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So my next question is there a big difference between a single exhause or the dual outlet muffler, performance or sound wise? Cause I'm still keeping my y pipe and all that, just the one or two tailpipes would be the difference, and I'm looking at a flow 40 series, herd they make the best sound on our sixers
IMO the best performance and sound is from the full dual exhaust system with an H or X-pipe and long tube headers.

I don't think you will gain much performance or improved sound from the dual tail pipes alone.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

An h or x pipe isn't a have to for the sixer.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
An h or x pipe isn't a have to for the sixer.
Why not?
Just because it has 2 less cylinders doesn't mean that it won't benefit just as much as an 8 cylinder.

Actually an H or X-pipe isn't a "have to" I suppose for any car.
They will run just fine without them, but they will run a bit better with them.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The h or x pipe equalizes the back pressure on the exhaust. The 3.8L doesn't need it as much as the v8's. Plus the six is a even fire engine.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
The h or x pipe equalizes the back pressure on the exhaust. The 3.8L doesn't need it as much as the v8's. Plus the six is a even fire engine.

From online research about H & X-Pipes;
Quote:
Though the H-pipe does not flow any significant amount of exhaust, it presence is nonetheless critical to efficient operation in dual-exhaust systems. These cross-overs perform a very important function in balancing exhaust flow and performance.

H-pipes should be installed in a dual-exhaust system as close to the exhaust headers (manifolds) as is physically possible.

Dual-exhaust systems without cross-over pipes can build up enough back pressure to inhibit flow and reduce horsepower.

H-pipes do not actually carry much exhaust gas. These cross-overs are designed to give pressure pulses inside the system a place to go to keep them from inhibiting flow.

A close relative of the H-pipe is the X-pipe, which gives the exhaust a place to cross over smoothly and helps to increase flow.

Crossover pipes modify sound waves in the same way as they do other pressure waves. H-pipes tend to have a louder and more muscular sound, and X-pipes tend to emphasize mid-range notes and make an engine sound more exotic.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

From online research about H & X-Pipes;
Hmm that's interesting. I learned something new.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Hmm that's interesting. I learned something new.
I hope you are not being sarcastic?
I learn something new everyday, whether it be from you guys on the forums here or by researching. I have had many of my old performance beliefs picked apart and proven to be wrong over the years. Kind of hard to swallow at times, but when the evidence is overwhelming you just chew on it a bit longer and swallow.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I was being honest. That did teach me something. Didn't know that
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I was being honest. That did teach me something. Didn't know that
Ok. I don't mean to be overly sensitive, but with text talking it's really hard to tell.
I never intend to sound or be that way myself, but several times my replies or statements have been taken wrong.

No offense, no foul.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It's all good
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

So I guess I should just drop the dual tip idea? Get a flow 40 n call it a day?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So I guess I should just drop the dual tip idea? Get a flow 40 n call it a day?
Probably just extra expense for little or no gain.
The choice is yours.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Flow 40 or 44 can't decide D:
Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

The day after you put on your muffler, you will want a true blue dual exhaust system. Its guaranteed and it never goes away.
Some pics from under my car. Small items like the high flow cats, ProChamber, Flowmaster 10's, ect...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang