Speedo Cluster Problem...Help??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Speedo Cluster Problem...Help???

Hi, I have an 04 V6 3.8 Mustang 5-Speed. I bought this car totally stock less than a year ago & have been customizing it ever since. I took my Speedo Cluster out the other day to install a Stainless Steel Face Plate over the gauges. I had to remove the 6 Red Needles to do this. Now I can't seem to get the Needles to read correctly. The Gas gauge seems to be correct & the Speedo & Tach seem to be pretty close but the Temp, Battery & oil gauge aren't even close. I can see them move a little but not to the point they did before. Is there a certain way they have to go on other than lining up the pin with the groove. Is this something that has to be fixed with a tuner? I'm lost on this so any help would be very much appreciated. Thx
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
The way I heard to do it was start up the car warm it up and take a picture of the needles. Turn it off, do your switch then start up the car warm it up and place needles in same spots as in picture. Would be a pain to do start up the car with the dash apart. Or if you're quick you can do it with the car running? Lol
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Speedo Cluster Problem...Help???

That probably would have worked if I had taken a picture prior to removing the needles & installing the new face plate. But the cluster was taken out & the needles removed without taking a picture. I know where they usually are when the car is running. I did take the needles off & warm up the car like you said. Got all of them working except the Battery Gauge. Not sure what's going on there. Any chance there's a fuse for each gauge that could have blown? The Batt Gauge seems dead...but worked before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If it worked before I'm not sure it would be a fuse. Is all the connection snug?
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
When cluster is removed take all your needles and place them at the lowest point. Keep play with the pitch be careful and you'll get it. Bring it in your house and do it it's much easier. There's a way you can get em to rest at the lowest point every time
2003SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Speedo Cluster Problem...Help???

Thanks...Since I'll have to take it out to check connections I'll take it in & give your info a try too. Gotta get it fixed before it drives me nuts...lol.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

OK...I can't find anything that says "Post New Thread" so I guess I'll ask my next question. Like I said...My cars an 04 V6 3.8...(For Now). I've finished customizing the exterior to my liking so now I'm looking to change out my
7.5" rear end to an 8.8 w/ T-Lok & 3.73's. Not sure what all my options are on this. I read that some years of Mustangs have a 3/4" shorter axle on each side. Is it possible to just use an 8.8 3rd member & connect it to my existing axles & housing or are they different? Do I need to buy the complete 8.8 rear end? If so...What cars can I get one out of that will be the correct length?
I heard some of the older Mustangs & Lincolns had the longer axles too but not sure which years on which cars to get the rear end from. I can pick up an 8.8 all day long for $200-$250 if I just knew which car to get it from. Any info on this would be great. If you know of a rear end that comes with the 3.73 gears & T-Lok....Even Better...lol. Thx Again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang