2001 3.8 gas milage? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
No way a 20 inch rim would be lighter then a 14
Agreed. I cannot see that being possible
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The larger a rim tire setup is the larger the circumference of the tire is. By haveing a larger tire the driveshaft to rear wheel rotation ratio changes. So having say 22" compared to 17" the driveshaft would have to rotate more to turn the tire resulting in more load on the drivetrain. Take trucks for instance... If you put bigger tires on it you get worse gas mileage
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt

Lol, thinking theoretically and at the extremes.
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt

Well... A dynamag wheel would be over a stock one... But I doubt he had 6000$ for runs haha. Full cf wheels.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang
It would seem to me that the bigger your wheel/tire setup is the better your mileage will be. Think about it, if you drive one mile how many times does the wheel rotate with 22's vs 14's, a lot less. Less rotation for the same distance would equal better gas mileage? But the extra weight between the two would also factor in, so with my theory there are two variables to consider if you are trying to simply increase your economy.
No, a bigger rim will hurt mileage. When you make a wheel bigger you end up gearing the car up and the engine needs to work harder. If you go to bigger rims (heavier) or taller tire expect a slower car and worse mpg. A heavier rim also has a huge effect on braking performance. A guy with 20s on an accord here went through a red light and killed someone. An independent demonstration waa set up and they found that a stock accord did 100kph- 0 in 139 ft. same car same conditions with the same 20s took 211ft to stop. Scary **** man...
Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
It's true, the bigger the rim the bigger the effect on braking and acceleration. You tire circumference also matters. You can keep the same circumference throughout the rim range thus keeping your stock gearing. Per example. My car has 205/65 r15's stock but a 245/45 r17 is the same height it's just an inch and a half wider. So the final drive isn't effected but the added weight from the bigger rim and wider tire can cause acceleration/braking decrease and widen your turning radius.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang