Short throw shifter tips/tricks! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Short throw shifter tips/tricks!

Hey guys I'm putting on my short throw this weekend an wanted to know if y'all have anything to recommend. I know to use loc tite and use the old screws not the ones provided. Also use the stiffer springs. Anyone got anything else or some kinda help in any way form? Thanks guys

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Short throw shifter tips/tricks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Hey guys I'm putting on my short throw this weekend an wanted to know if y'all have anything to recommend. I know to use loc tite and use the old screws not the ones provided. Also use the stiffer springs. Anyone got anything else or some kinda help in any way form? Thanks guys
Use copper RTV sealant instead of a paper gasket when you install the shifter. I did that with mine and it's great. Also, despite people saying you can't re-use stock shifter boots with your aftermarket short-throw... You actually can! It just takes some time and patience getting it to fit right. It'll cut down on the tranny noise that so many people get. Oh.. And you might wanna go ahead and flush your tranny fluid out and put new fluid in while you're there. I didn't do that and I'ma have to take it all apart again. Haha

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

Use copper RTV sealant instead of a paper gasket when you install the shifter. I did that with mine and it's great. Also, despite people saying you can't re-use stock shifter boots with your aftermarket short-throw... You actually can! It just takes some time and patience getting it to fit right. It'll cut down on the tranny noise that so many people get. Oh.. And you might wanna go ahead and flush your tranny fluid out and put new fluid in while you're there. I didn't do that and I'ma have to take it all apart again. Haha
Is it longer than the stock? I hope not because my boot is already short lmao.. And paper gasket? I don't get it lol. Also I'm not skilled on changing things like tranny fluid. I have to be honest, I don't even change my own oil :\

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone got a good instruction site or video for the 70$ am short throw? I don't like the instructions on AM :\

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
... The instruction from am is pretty good actually. You will need a gasket basket for sure for the new piece. Also you need to be careful setting the shift stops. Carefully read instructions and watch some stuff on youtube...

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Oh and the hardest part is getting the old shifter out. Be prepared to apply significant force to it. Also, learn to do your own oil!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I love changing oil! I tell all my friends to bring their oil filter and car over to my house and I do it for free! Lol but ford gave me 4 free oil changes with my new car Soooooo.... I don't get to stare at the bottom of my ol' girl for about a year!
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Changing your own oil is the first place to learn about your car, highly recommend.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
... The instruction from am is pretty good actually. You will need a gasket basket for sure for the new piece. Also you need to be careful setting the shift stops. Carefully read instructions and watch some stuff on youtube...

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Oh and the hardest part is getting the old shifter out. Be prepared to apply significant force to it. Also, learn to do your own oil!
What's the gasket basket? And I think the shift stops will be the hardest part. All the video I watched didn't have that. They just put it in and started shifting lol.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

What's the gasket basket? And I think the shift stops will be the hardest part. All the video I watched didn't have that. They just put it in and started shifting lol.
Sorry, gasket "maker" damn auto correct...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang