How do I fix this? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
How do I fix this?

Hey so my friends were in the car one night and I guess they thought the harder they pushed on the button the faster the window would go down lol cause I found this the next day. I'm thinking I have to take the door panel off, but does anyone have any experience taking a door apart? And how do I re attach the buttons into the door. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2745647200.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	47323  
Whitestang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
no just pop off the piece the button goes into buy some locktight super glue and glue back in place. it should just pop up
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestang93
Hey so my friends were in the car one night and I guess they thought the harder they pushed on the button the faster the window would go down lol cause I found this the next day. I'm thinking I have to take the door panel off, but does anyone have any experience taking a door apart? And how do I re attach the buttons into the door. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
try taking off that trim piece first.

Name:	image-1757284946.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	47324

then those buttons are being held down with screws. maybe u just need to pop it back out and into place
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1918786007.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	47325  

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay

then those buttons are being held down with screws. maybe u just need to pop it back out and into place
Ok does the plastic part just pop off and right back into place? Is that what you were saying? And so you think the screws are somewhere in the door or should I just buy two new ones?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestang93

Ok does the plastic part just pop off and right back into place? Is that what you were saying? And so you think the screws are somewhere in the door or should I just buy two new ones?
yeah u just pop it back into place. do it slowly though u dont wana break the tap or anything. its easy though. and ur screws might be lost somewhere inside ur door but if u wana find them ur probably gona have to take off ur door panel as well. enless u just wana head to the auto shop and just buy some new ones

Low2v
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
That's an easy fix. Buy new buttons and pop out the big black trim piece that goes over the buttons. It's called the interior door panel cup. There are clips that hold it on at the top and bottom. If you open your door and look at the cup from under you'll see the two slots I'm talking about. Put a flathead in there and pry up. You shouldn't do damage to it, mine didn't when I took my panel cup off. Then out your new buttons on and the cup pops right back in place.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yeah u just pop it back into place. do it slowly though u dont wana break the tap or anything. its easy though. and ur screws might be lost somewhere inside ur door but if u wana find them ur probably gona have to take off ur door panel as well. enless u just wana head to the auto shop and just buy some new ones
Ok thanks I appreciate it man. What is the tap? Or was that just a misspell?

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaYanks4Ev
That's an easy fix. Buy new buttons and pop out the big black trim piece that goes over the buttons. It's called the interior door panel cup. There are clips that hold it on at the top and bottom. If you open your door and look at the cup from under you'll see the two slots I'm talking about. Put a flathead in there and pry up. You shouldn't do damage to it, mine didn't when I took my panel cup off. Then out your new buttons on and the cup pops right back in place.
Ok I've looked at my door and theres a part that looks indented where a flat head would fit perfectly, is that where I pry it off? And what's a panel cup? Or is that what that piece is called? And how much would you say new buttons for the right side door would be?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

yes thats were u pop it up at
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Re: How do I fix this?

The panel cup is the entire black piece that goes around the buttons. Here's a picture of mine when I took my new one off to unplug my power mirrors. I marked where the indents should be that you have to pry off.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...nelcuphelp.jpg

The window buttons are $24.99 here:
1994-04 Mustang Power Window Switch at LRS - Free Shipping!

Or here at American Muscle for $27. They ship free: :Ford Mustang OEM Power Window Switch (94-04) F4ZZ-14529-A - Free Shipping!

Here's the power lock switch for a good price:MUSTANG POWER DOOR LOCK SWITCH DRIVER SIDE 1994-2004

Once you get the panel cup out you should see all these switches. I'm not 100% sure but it most likely is just a matter of unplugging and unscrewing the old and plugging in and screwing on the new.

Hope all this helps man, good luck!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The panel cup is the entire black piece that goes around the buttons. Here's a picture of mine when I took my new one off to unplug my power mirrors. I marked where the indents should be that you have to pry off.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...nelcuphelp.jpg

The window buttons are $24.99 here:
1994-04 Mustang Power Window Switch at LRS - Free Shipping!

Or here at American Muscle for $27. They ship free: :Ford Mustang OEM Power Window Switch (94-04) F4ZZ-14529-A - Free Shipping!

Here's the power lock switch for a good price:MUSTANG POWER DOOR LOCK SWITCH DRIVER SIDE 1994-2004

Once you get the panel cup out you should see all these switches. I'm not 100% sure but it most likely is just a matter of unplugging and unscrewing the old and plugging in and screwing on the new.

Hope all this helps man, good luck!!
Wow thanks a lot that picture you drew on is perfect! One more question, I still have the buttons intact and they are just sitting right inside the panel. I've even stuck my finger in there and the buttons still work for locks and widows. Do I still need to get new ones since the new ones will have intact brackets? Just don't wanna spend the money if I don't have to ya know
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestang93 View Post
Wow thanks a lot that picture you drew on is perfect! One more question, I still have the buttons intact and they are just sitting right inside the panel. I've even stuck my finger in there and the buttons still work for locks and widows. Do I still need to get new ones since the new ones will have intact brackets? Just don't wanna spend the money if I don't have to ya know
I totally understand and agree. You're wanting the button itself not the whole button and housing it comes with is what I think you're asking? And I'm not sure how you would do that. Maybe go to a local junkyard and try to get just the button off of one in their yard. If you brake it off on accident maybe get some 3M tape to tape it back onto yours? I'm not honestly sure, maybe someone who knows a little more or has done it can pipe in here for me? Sorry I'm not too sure.
What would be really cool is to make your own custom buttons out of something and use the 3M tape to attach them to the brackets on your door panel. That'd be sweet!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I got a dub that says he's gonna break that tab................. cuz everyone does.
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears View Post
I got a dub that says he's gonna break that tab................. cuz everyone does.
I didn't. And haven't while taking it out several times.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I totally understand and agree. You're wanting the button itself not the whole button and housing it comes with is what I think you're asking? And I'm not sure how you would do that. Maybe go to a local junkyard and try to get just the button off of one in their yard. If you brake it off on accident maybe get some 3M tape to tape it back onto yours? I'm not honestly sure, maybe someone who knows a little more or has done it can pipe in here for me? Sorry I'm not too sure.
What would be really cool is to make your own custom buttons out of something and use the 3M tape to attach them to the brackets on your door panel. That'd be sweet!
That would be pretty sweet. Not really sure what I would use in place of the buttons though that would fit well. But ill think about it! And no haha I'm saying the whole bracket, and button are all still together. It's like whatever held the entire unit to the back of the panel broke. It's all still one unit together. So I was just saying what do I use to attach it right back to the back? Like a small bit of gorilla glue or something? The buttons aren't broken at all, it's just as if the whole thing fell through. I guess I'll just have to pop it off to take a look at it. Thanks for all the help though I really appreciate it!

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Quote:

The second picture in here, those two little attachment places along the edge of the switch look like that's what broke. Just wondering how to fix those
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

locktight super glue i fixed my father inlaws 2000 the same thing happened the little tiny flanges are weak and busted so i poped out the panel and glued the snot out of them held them there with pressure for a minute or so and put it all back together. its been a few months now and still holding.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
locktight super glue i fixed my father inlaws 2000 the same thing happened the little tiny flanges are weak and busted so i poped out the panel and glued the snot out of them held them there with pressure for a minute or so and put it all back together. its been a few months now and still holding.
Perfect, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the help man!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^+100 this should fix your problem for . did u check if ur screws just came lose ?

Low2v
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

^+100 this should fix your problem for . did u check if ur screws just came lose ?
I looked in there and the whole unit is still intact, it's like those clips on the side came apart cause I can see them unattached like it just popped off. Like in your second picture, those 2 brackets along the side came apart.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

there are Tony nubs that broke off probably ib would go with the super glue. food seemed to have slacked a little in quality in the 2000 plus mustangs for a while and is a shame
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
there are Tony nubs that broke off probably ib would go with the super glue. food seemed to have slacked a little in quality in the 2000 plus mustangs for a while and is a shame
Yeah I've noticed. I do my best to keep it up. And it is a shame cause there's nothin like a nice new edge to me IMO. Especially those termi's!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

man my auto spell really got me the last message hahaha stupid phone
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
man my auto spell really got me the last message hahaha stupid phone
Haha yeah I could just barely make out what you were saying but thanks for all the help!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

lol no problem man!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Yeah I beat the hell outta my door one time cuz the window would not roll back up occasionally and those buttons broke off. Ended up JB wielding it on there. Lol more solid than those screws
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
Yeah I beat the hell outta my door one time cuz the window would not roll back up occasionally and those buttons broke off. Ended up JB wielding it on there. Lol more solid than those screws
lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang