Maaco? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Maaco?

My 98 V6 needs some body work pretty desperately, and I'm pretty broke. Looking for your opinions. Would you guys think it would be worth it to do all the body/ prep work myself (in school for autobody) and then take it to Maaco for one of their dirt cheap paint jobs? I've heard mixed reviews, and I've heard their jobs come out like **** because of bad prep work. SO if I do it myself, I should be alright, yeah?
bat3415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat3415
My 98 V6 needs some body work pretty desperately, and I'm pretty broke. Looking for your opinions. Would you guys think it would be worth it to do all the body/ prep work myself (in school for autobody) and then take it to Maaco for one of their dirt cheap paint jobs? I've heard mixed reviews, and I've heard their jobs come out like **** because of bad prep work. SO if I do it myself, I should be alright, yeah?
I'm getting a full custom paint job from them, they paint my mother company fleet cars and the cars always look amazing even after wrecks etc.
I'll be getting mine in about 2-3 weeks, if u wanna wait till then I'll post some pics in this thread and tell u how it is.
I'm getting a full paint job(black) plus dual grabber blue racing stripes and side panel stripe on my 02 pony package

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

All for 1500 and that includes fixing my door that was backed into and all the prep work
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Maaco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
I'm getting a full custom paint job from them, they paint my mother company fleet cars and the cars always look amazing even after wrecks etc.
I'll be getting mine in about 2-3 weeks, if u wanna wait till then I'll post some pics in this thread and tell u how it is.
I'm getting a full paint job(black) plus dual grabber blue racing stripes and side panel stripe on my 02 pony package

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

All for 1500 and that includes fixing my door that was backed into and all the prep work
I'd love to see how it comes out. I have to wait a few weeks before I can do it anyway, because I have to save a couple pay checks and actually do all the body work anyway. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have seen a couple of macco pai t jobs and they didn't look to bad the problem with them is that they use very cheap materials , I have seen the clear coat start to crack and peel after about a year and then the paint starts to chip off . If you plan o. Keeping the car spend a bit more for quality materials
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
I have seen a couple of macco pai t jobs and they didn't look to bad the problem with them is that they use very cheap materials , I have seen the clear coat start to crack and peel after about a year and then the paint starts to chip off . If you plan o. Keeping the car spend a bit more for quality materials
Depending on the paint job you're right, but like anything else, the more you pay the better you get. My paint job I'm getting is almost exact to the factory paint, and mine lasted for 9 years now, and it's black and it's come time to repaint it. And I get a 4 year crack/weather warranty. So it all depends on the amount you spend... And the experience of your painter, my painter has 20 years. And Express Personal(my mothers company) hasn't ever had a problem, my mom had her company car painted where it got hit by them almost 3-4 years ago and the paint and clear coat look like factory.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Peeling and cracking doesn't usually result from bad materials. Peeling and cracking are usually caused by bad prep work. Maaco advertises they use PPG. That's some good stuff.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Peeling and cracking doesn't usually result from bad materials. Peeling and cracking are usually caused by bad prep work. Maaco advertises they use PPG. That's some good stuff.
+1 also painter not knowing how to mix the parts correctly. Damn near takes a scientist now days.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

the economy is still slow, check out some local body shops and negotiate a better price, you don't get deals you don't ask for!
my wife had some kid crash into the back of her van, and i told the body guy i would give him the job if he did a handful of extras to get the job and he jumped at the chance since he had been slow that week!

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you get what you pay for, and many times if you go cheap you have to spend more the second go around than you would have to do it right in the first place
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
I had a buddy work for Maaco and SpectorV is right, you get what you pay for. If you just want a quick solution and not a show worthy paint job then go for it.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing I'm truly concerned about is not enough paint. I could deal with too much. I could wet sand/buff out any runs or orange peel. Not enough is a problem
Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only thing I'm truly concerned about is not enough paint. I could deal with too much. I could wet sand/buff out any runs or orange peel. Not enough is a problem
It all depends on the weather, if it's humid they can only do so much before it runs. If its dry and hot they can do more,
More than 2 coats of clear coat would be to stiff and would crack under the slightest pressure.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

At school we always did 3 coats of clear at the very least.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Also depends on the shop. My neighbor had his truck done last year at the maaco up the street and they apparently didn't prep well in some places. And whoever sprayed it prolly did in street clothes and there's some dust/lint on some spots. Then there's another one not far from here that has done a few of my fellow Mustang club members cars and done awesome.

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

AND, a lot of shops (maaco included) are in it for volume(insurance work) so they my jack up or suggest additional services to the price depending on what you want because you are a "real" customer.
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang