Big project - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Big project

So, im thinking about starting a big project and buying a block and a transmission and rebuilding them and putting them in my car.

One part of this is putting a 6 speed in and my car is an auto. I was wondering what all did i need to get (other than the transmission) like driveshaft, computer, etc.

Also the same with the engine, im wanting to swap the v6 for an 8, i know id need to swap the cpu and springs but are there other things.

Also, please no "its cheaper to trade for a gt" kind of posts....i want the project if doing this for something to do/build.

Thanks for the help

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind
So, im thinking about starting a big project and buying a block and a transmission and rebuilding them and putting them in my car.

One part of this is putting a 6 speed in and my car is an auto. I was wondering what all did i need to get (other than the transmission) like driveshaft, computer, etc.

Also the same with the engine, im wanting to swap the v6 for an 8, i know id need to swap the cpu and springs but are there other things.

Also, please no "its cheaper to trade for a gt" kind of posts....i want the project if doing this for something to do/build.

Thanks for the help
find a wrecked gt and swap it all into your v6. it will save you tons of money in the long run. so u can swap the harness, suspension, 8.8 rear end, mounts, etc... i wish i had another daily driver car so my wife can use so i could do a project like this as well.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay

find a wrecked gt and swap it all into your v6. it will save you tons of money in the long run. so u can swap the harness, suspension, 8.8 rear end, mounts, etc... i wish i had another daily driver car so my wife can use so i could do a project like this as well.
Yea, thays what this is going to be basically, was take the engine and transmission and rebuild it slowly up to the point i can get a second car for the wife then swap it all over. Thanks for the input

LCMC Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
If you're going with the 6 speed found in cobras(t56) then you're going to need a matching bell housing, clutch, flywheel, and a custom driveshaft(might be able to use stock one of it measures up). Also you may need to check the shifter handle position and get alignment correct in the cockpit.

You will need the wiring harness and computer for the V8, as well as an upgraded fuel system to mate to the V8. You can pull an 8.8 rear from a wrecked GT and it bolts right into your stang. It even has tlok and 3.27 gears! also you will need the engine mounts and upgrade your front suspension and possibly get a new k-member.

While you're doing this build you should go ahead and do part maintenance like tie rods, ball joints, fuel filters, and inspect the brake lines and all other cable/lines.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things.. But I haven't slept in over 40 hours. Haha

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Big project

just realize the scope of the project, MANY projects are started and simply never finished due to time/money issues.... then all the parts are just sold off and money and time are lost.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
just realize the scope of the project, MANY projects are started and simply never finished due to time/money issues.... then all the parts are just sold off and money and time are lost.
I definitely understand that this is a big project, which is why im looking at the (high) prices now then will decide whether or not to go ahead with it.....but like i said before it may just end up being a grab a wrecked gt/cobra and rebuild the parts and basically "swap" the frame its on. Depends on which is cheaper in the long run

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
If you're going with the 6 speed found in cobras(t56) then you're going to need a matching bell housing, clutch, flywheel, and a custom driveshaft(might be able to use stock one of it measures up). Also you may need to check the shifter handle position and get alignment correct in the cockpit.

You will need the wiring harness and computer for the V8, as well as an upgraded fuel system to mate to the V8. You can pull an 8.8 rear from a wrecked GT and it bolts right into your stang. It even has tlok and 3.27 gears! also you will need the engine mounts and upgrade your front suspension and possibly get a new k-member.

While you're doing this build you should go ahead and do part maintenance like tie rods, ball joints, fuel filters, and inspect the brake lines and all other cable/lines.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things.. But I haven't slept in over 40 hours. Haha
Thanks for helping with the list

LCMC Member

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang