Rebuilt Engine with Steering Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Rebuilt Engine with Steering Problems

Hi - nice to meet everyone!

I purchased my baby, an 02 automatic coupe last Sept. and yes like everyone else, I'm in love! I know the car was lowered which is great but, there seems to be a problem with the steering. The car makes a weird noise (you can also feel it) when I make a right or left turn. Like a buckling or a stiff joint noise, its hard to describe. It doesn't do it all the time, mainly when I'm turning at stop signs and lights.

The engine was rebuilt and from what I understand it was done very well. However, I don't know a lot of the terminology and what some of the parts are or what they are used for. The one thing I think I'm sure of is that it was used for drag racing.

Below is a list of upgrades (or repairs?) that was given to me when I purchased the car. I was wandering if anyone could identify some or all of them and if one of the parts could possibly be causing the problem? OK, here goes:

Cold Air Intake - I was told it was too big for the engine?
65mm Throttle Body
Throttle Body Spacer
Ported Upper and Lower Intake
Stage 3 Race Heads
Camshaft
Head Studs
Pistons - i know these r part of the engine
Rods - i know these r part of the engine
Long Tube Headers
Catted X-Pipe
Flow Master Exhaust - which I love, but may have to replace (rides only 5" off ground)
2500 Stall Converter
Race Trans
Bigger Trans Pan
Front Strut Brace
Adj. Shocks all round - could this be the problem in the front?
Bigger Sway Bars
3.73 Gears in Rear
T-Lock in Rear
Adj. Caster Plates
Tubler Control Arms

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

Alleen - my name, Lucille is my baby's name
Lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Rebuilt Engine with Steering Problems

Thats one moded car you have there. If its lowered alot and not aligned is there a chance your rubbing when you turn?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Wow!! Nice mods!! And nice to meet you too! where's the sound coming from? In the engine bay? Coz my 00 does that when i'm turning, they told me to replace my power steering pump, some says it might be the ball joints.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

Hi Willrad 00, nice to meet you!

That's what I thought at first too, but no the tire or tires aren't rubbing or hitting anything when I turn the wheel. It feels like it's coming from underneath the car, honestly it's a little scary because it almost sounds like something it going to snap??

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Hi Jonofarch14 and thanks - too bad I'm not sure of what they all are it's kind of hard to say, I don't believe it's coming from the engine bay, it's hard to tell. The guy I bought the car from told me he did something to the steering to make it respond better. But never said exactly what he did. That's why I listed all the upgrades in my first post - I was wandering if any of them could be related to the problem. I was wandering if could be one of those things too, the power steering pump or a ball joint.

I saw that the shocks on the rear end were adjustable, but the guy at the shop told me that it was only for the "damper" and didn't say anything else about it. I didn't look at the front end at the time because I was and still am having an exhaust issue - the Flowmasters are just too dang low and I have to get them either raised somehow or replaced.

That's another question I have - are 02's supposed to have 2 exhaust pipes? I don't remember ever seeing any like that before.....
Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
A stock v6 comes with 1 exhaust pipe/tips but with the mods you have it requires to have duals. Try to park your car and turn your steering wheel all the way from left to right if you can hear the noise then it's the power steering pump. If you can only hear it when your turning from a curve the it's the balljoint but if you have an uneven wear on your front tires then your just hitting your fender wells. Just an idea, not sure about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

Thanks, sounds like a great idea to me! I'll give it a shot in the morning and let you know the results.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Could be your kanooter valve, or possibly your exhaust bearing XD try spraying it with plasti dip, that could help hahaa, kidding, welcome, and definitely sounds like ball joints to me
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

hahaha! You got me on the "plasti dip" I looked at it twice!! Didn't get me on the "kanooter valve" or the "exhaust bearing XD" though! thanks, good to be here! yeah, when Johnofarc14 said it, I have to think it could be that too. wander which is cheaper to fix, power steering pump or ball joints. the guy i bought it from also left some kind of tuner (I forget the name of it) in the trunk. he said he had it tuned up "high" or something like that, so her idle runs a bit rough, have to figure that out too. But, doesn't matter - i'm very much in love!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You my friend got a hell of a nice car, I'd love to see some pics
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
hahaha! You got me on the "plasti dip" I looked at it twice!! Didn't get me on the "kanooter valve" or the "exhaust bearing XD" though! thanks, good to be here! yeah, when Johnofarc14 said it, I have to think it could be that too. wander which is cheaper to fix, power steering pump or ball joints. the guy i bought it from also left some kind of tuner (I forget the name of it) in the trunk. he said he had it tuned up "high" or something like that, so her idle runs a bit rough, have to figure that out too. But, doesn't matter - i'm very much in love!
Holy cow the thing is on race tune also? Jeez you got one mean machine there.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

Thanks Willrad00 and Surffer227! Have been fixing her up since I got her. The car wasn't in the best of shape. But with all the upgrades the engine and because she was black to start with, those two reasons where why I bought her. She needed a paint job really bad & I was low on money so I had her painted at Maaco. They did an "ok" job, I went for the premium paint (cost $1000), but I need to get her painted at a "real" shop by people who care about what they are doing. When I picked the car up it had dust all over it with white specs in the paint. I actually had to use a clay bar kit to get them off. They did fix the problem on the passenger door though, it looked like a deep cut of some kind across the entire thing. The paint job is just about 8 months old and I can see ripples on the hood and other problems all over the car.

Did the test (to see if it may be the power steering pump or ball joints) with the wheels when car was parked, there was No sound at all? Not sure what it is, but as soon as I get some cash, I'm gonna take her in and get it fixed.

Willrad00 - I'm sorry I completely forgot about checking the tuner today, I'll get it out of the trunk tomorrow and tell ya the name and stuff. I have to do some research on it. I was wandering, because I have the tuner, can I possibly tune it with just that, without taking her to a shop?

Surffer227 - I'm working on the pics, I'll let ya know when I post them. The car is black with a stock interior. I swapped out the stock gray hood and side vent inserts and replaced them with chrome hood and side vent inserts. I also bought the stainless steel inserts for the letters "mustang" on the back bumper. Plan on doing a new paint job with some kind of design (not sure what yet), new headlights (CCFL Angel Eye hopefully with HID kit, if possible) and a new grille with a new pony. She currently doesn't have a grill, just some chicken wire!

Which brings me to another question I'm going to post in a new thread. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. But I'll tell ya here. Is it possible to swap out the 02 console for say an 05 or above console? The one I have is ok, but I'm not crazy about it...
Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The tuner will have 3 tunes on it: an everyday one more geared towards economy then anything, a performance that will sacrifice some economy for power, and a race that is all for power. All you should have to do is hook the tuner to your obdII port and change it to economy if race is to fast/expensive for you.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #13

Oh, no - I love the power. It's not the expense of being on race, it just feels like the car is shaking too much. But, I think I'll get the exhaust fixed before I mess with it. If there's a hole in the exhaust somewhere that could raise the cost on fuel right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang