Strange problem with front springs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Strange problem with front springs?

Ok, this all started when I installed my new 17" Bullitts with 245/45-17 tires. The car would jerk to the left or right on the highway... kinda scary actually. Is this referred to as "tracking"?

I took it in for an alignment and it was off a bit, they adjusted everything as well as they possibly could, HOWEVER, I am still 2 degrees off at the left wheel. They said they are at the absolute limit of the range of adjustment. I believe I need CC plates to get it perfect.

Now, when I asked WTF was wrong he explained that my springs have sagged, and are squatting lower than they should. He said that everything else is TIGHT and none of the front end components indicate any wear at all. There are no bent or crash-damaged parts. I need new springs.

My questions are these:

Is it possible for a stock factory installed spring to sag THAT FAR? The ride is good, minimal body roll.

Is it reasonable to assume that the previous owner installed cheap ebay lowering springs and they are starting to sag now?

My car does sit pretty low, my exhaust bottoms out occasionally when I enter parking lots, hit dips on the highway etc.

Look at my pics in my garage, does it look like a stock suspension?
Would FRPP "B" springs possibly lift my car back up to where it would be capable of being properly aligned? I think stock replacement springs would make my car look like my girlfriends Dodge Ram truck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Definately get lowering springs again, and sagging springs could definately be the culprate.
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you ate looking for a decent drop without using cc plates eibach pro kit is the way to go only 1" drop in the front 1/1-2" in the back
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Strange problem with front springs?

Ok, so where do you measure to determine ride height? Do I just pick a random spot and find someone else with a stock New Edge and compare measurements?

Ground to center of the wheel opening in the fender? That's right in the general area of the coil spring...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

If the swerving happens when driving down the road and you hit a slight bump in the road, that would be "Bumpsteer"
I have "B" springs and they are great, got them for $50.00. Best option is go to stangmods.com and look at the Ford Racing "F" springs. They are specially made for V6's compensating for the 100lb difference up front engine weight and other discrepancies between the GT and the V6. If I had the money I would of purchased the Ford Racing "F" springs.
Just some quick FYI!
Lastly, if you want to do it right and improve steering, quick stops, and ride comfort, then save up to get the rest of the needed parts: Caster Camber Plates, Quality Shocks/Struts, Steeda or Ford "X-2 Balljoints", and lastly a quality Bumpsteer kit.
Any questions regarding the different manufacturers, Just Ask!!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Bump steer is the play left in the steering wheel after the car is lowered, and can not be aligned perfectly, has zero to do with hitting bumps. If you are lowered you may need the x2's and if you do a bump steer kit is a MUST.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Coincidental that bump steer should enter this discussion, I did a great deal of reading on that last night. I didn't stop to do any measuring, HOWEVER I did stop and look at a pair of New Edge Mustangs last night and I did notice that the gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender on those other cars is at least 1 full inch greater than the gap on my car.

Without a doubt my car either has the weakest springs on the planet or else it already has lowering springs installed.

Currently I am looking at buying a complete suspension package that includes springs, shocks, struts, and sway bars... I figure that if I am going to do the springs I may as well replace the other parts at the same time. Now I just have to decide which package I want.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Bumpsteer Explainations:
-Bumpsteer is a term for the situation where the front toe changes as the suspension moves up and down. If the toe changes more than a very small amount it will cause the car to change direction, making the car unstable and unpredictable.

-Bump Steer is when your wheels steer themselves without input from the steering wheel. The undesirable steering is caused by bumps in the track interacting with improper length or angle of your suspension and steering linkages.
-Bump-steer is the result of poor (and sometimes unavoidable) suspension geometry. The reaction is described as the vehicle steering off the intended track, on it's own (without driver input), when encountering a bump. Sometimes it is described by a driver as the vehicle needing constant direction correction whenever driving over a bump, "I hold the steering wheel straight but the vehicle steers to the right every time I hit a bump.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang