Need torque specs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Need torque specs

This afternoon ill be tearing in my 96 v6 to replace the intake manifold gasket and a few ither gaskets, now I can seem to find a site that has the exact spec, some say 78 inch pounds and ithers say 98 inch pounds, so does anyone know what the actual spec is, also my friend managed to blow the tranny out if his 03 f150 and I was going to see if I could buy the engine to put in my 83 mustang, nit its got the triton v8, so question is, is this motor any giid and what manuel tranny will bolt to other then the auto that it comes with? Thanks for any info given.
dhktactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Need torque specs

Google "Ford Essex 3.8L V6 specs" or check out the other forums "STICKY's"
I am at work for 12 hours, if no answer for you by then, I'll break out the Chilton Book for ya.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

Taken from VAP Auto 96-98 Intake Spacer Instructions.

Once all of the bolts are finger tight, torque them down in 3 steps in the order shown in the illustration. (go to http://www.vapauto.com/spacers2.htm to download instructions and see the illustration)

Ford recommends tightening them down to 53 in/lbs, then 71 in/lbs and then to give them an additional 90-degree turn. You just want the bolts to be tight. You don't need an air gun for this!!! 71 in/lbs is not much, so be careful you don't strip the bolt holes, break the bolt heads off or crack the manifold.

When installed my Windstar intake I bought a small in/lb torque wrench simply because I am that guy that will use any excuse to go buy new tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I went and bought some new tools also,( nothing better then having bright new tools) I am having a hard time getting the intake off due to rust, im soaking it in liquid wrench and so far I was able to get three out so by tomorrow I should be able to get the rest off
Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhktactical View Post
This afternoon ill be tearing in my 96 v6 to replace the intake manifold gasket and a few ither gaskets, now I can seem to find a site that has the exact spec, some say 78 inch pounds and ithers say 98 inch pounds, so does anyone know what the actual spec is, also my friend managed to blow the tranny out if his 03 f150 and I was going to see if I could buy the engine to put in my 83 mustang, nit its got the triton v8, so question is, is this motor any giid and what manuel tranny will bolt to other then the auto that it comes with? Thanks for any info given.
Intake manifold to cylinder head bolts: 18Ft-lbs
Two small bolts71-106 in-lbs
(1998 & older) all bolts: 89 in-lbs
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I went to torque the bolts down to 89 inch ponds and the bolt snapped and thank god I got it out of the block, is the bolts just weak or again am I doing this wrong

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

When I took the intake manifold off.it came off really easy like it didnt take much to spin them
Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Make sure you are Doing in lbs not ft lbs. Most torque wrenches measure in ft lbs

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

89 in pounds is equal to about 8 ft lbs. Take in in lbs and divide by 12 for ft lbs
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ya it reads inch pounds
Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'd say replace all your bolts and use a tap to check the threads on the manifold make sure nothing got chewed up
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang