MGW Shifter Install Nightmare - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
MGW Shifter Install Nightmare

After reading countless threads, customer reviews, and watching lots of videos on aftermarket shifters I decided to give MGW a try... I ordered it with a black ball with grey stripes to match my car... I have owned Hurst and B&M shifters in the past.

I LOVE THIS THING! The shifter is awesome, but the process sucked like you would never believe...

1) pulled off bezel and noticed that the bubber boot is torn almost in half and that of the four bolts that hold it on... 1 bolt was miss, 1 had a stripped head, 1 was replaced with a 10mm head and 1 was actually the correct bolt in the correct location. I had to buy (YEAH! NEW TOOLS!) an external screw extractor set to remove the stripped one. I ordered a new boot from Late Model Restoration for $15. I went to the local MAC's hardware and replaced the mismatched bolts with new stainless bolts. $1.00 well spent.

2) the stock shifter was glues/welded/cemented on with so much silicone that the bead was 1/4 wide outside the edge of the shifter plate. I had to go to a shop to use their lift to get enough room to swing a big hammer in order to bust loose the stock shifter... I swear I thought I was going to have to remove it in pieces. When I got it off, there was another similar bead of silicone on the inside of the transmission. GOOD LORD what kind of ****** worked on this car before I bought it???

3) I decided to change my transmission oil while I was doing this... both the Fill and the Drain plugs were rounded off as though some ****** used a Vise-Grip to tighten them... My new tool set came in handy here too... New fill and drain plugs I had on hand in a junk box...

Every moment of this project seemed to be a series of disasters of varying degrees... Sucked doing it, but I am thrilled with the results! Nice clean crisp shifts!

Bonus: While I had my console apart I finished wiring my GT driving lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
So glad to hear it works well! Ive been looking at getting one, and its great to hear that from a fellow member! And hey, new tools are always a plus!
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John
After reading countless threads, customer reviews, and watching lots of videos on aftermarket shifters I decided to give MGW a try... I ordered it with a black ball with grey stripes to match my car... I have owned Hurst and B&M shifters in the past.

I LOVE THIS THING! The shifter is awesome, but the process sucked like you would never believe...

1) pulled off bezel and noticed that the bubber boot is torn almost in half and that of the four bolts that hold it on... 1 bolt was miss, 1 had a stripped head, 1 was replaced with a 10mm head and 1 was actually the correct bolt in the correct location. I had to buy (YEAH! NEW TOOLS!) an external screw extractor set to remove the stripped one. I ordered a new boot from Late Model Restoration for $15. I went to the local MAC's hardware and replaced the mismatched bolts with new stainless bolts. $1.00 well spent.

2) the stock shifter was glues/welded/cemented on with so much silicone that the bead was 1/4 wide outside the edge of the shifter plate. I had to go to a shop to use their lift to get enough room to swing a big hammer in order to bust loose the stock shifter... I swear I thought I was going to have to remove it in pieces. When I got it off, there was another similar bead of silicone on the inside of the transmission. GOOD LORD what kind of ****** worked on this car before I bought it???

3) I decided to change my transmission oil while I was doing this... both the Fill and the Drain plugs were rounded off as though some ****** used a Vise-Grip to tighten them... My new tool set came in handy here too... New fill and drain plugs I had on hand in a junk box...

Every moment of this project seemed to be a series of disasters of varying degrees... Sucked doing it, but I am thrilled with the results! Nice clean crisp shifts!

A picture?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: MGW Shifter Install Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
A picture?
This is my first attempt at posting an image... so far I think I fail

Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John

I completely understand but if you can say in the end it was worth it then it's all good! hey on a side note, how hard was is to wire up gt fog lights to a sixxer?
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: MGW Shifter Install Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87 View Post
I completely understand but if you can say in the end it was worth it then it's all good! hey on a side note, how hard was is to wire up gt fog lights to a sixxer?
I found it to be VERY easy! The wiring took less than 20 minutes since the driving lights were installed by the bodyshop when my car was painted a few weeks ago. AND I already had my console apart to install the shifter.

I bought a complete wiring harness with relay from ebay. This one, but it was only $69 when I got it a year ago... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-V6-G...item255e1f009a

Switch was like $34 from Ford. Lights came from AM.

Plug leads into driving lights.

Connect black wire to chassis ground.

Connect red wire to battery (when you are done) .

The 99-01 V6 comes pre-wired for driving lights, if you look at the shifter picture you can see in the upper right corner that the driving light switch is in the correct hole.

Remove the shifter bezel and disconnect the cigarette lighter wire and set it aside.

Remove the panel that goes around the AC, radio, climate control by pulling OUT. You will see three pigtails connected to the plugs.

The PURPLE one is the one for the driving lights. Find the white wire with the black stripe. You will tap into that in a moment. Remove the plug from that spot and insert the driving light switch.

There is a big grommet on the firewall that you will either cut or drill a small hole through to run the blue wire into the passenger compartment. I drilled a hole the same size as the blue wire and forced it through. Run the blue wire under the dash and behind the floor console.

Now you are ready to use the included tap to connect the blue wire to the white one. Connect the wires, plug the pigtail into the switch.

Connect red wire to battery, turn on lights, turn on driving light switch.

Put your car back together and enjoy!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang