Mustang for vette? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
Mustang for vette?

I'm stuck here. I got my 99 for $1200 off a friend, spent another $1000 or so on various mods. I really like this car. Butttt, another friend drive my car and has offered to trade his 84 vette for my car. They had those problems with the cross fire injection, so he fixed all that, put a whole new bottom end in it, reupholstered the interior, it looks nice, and put rims on it that cost as much as I paid for my car, lol. But it's a silly looking flat black dull color. I'm going down to see it in person next week, and I've been marinating on this whole trading thing for a month now. Mines prolly worth $4k or so, the Vettes gotta be worth double that. So trade it and then sell the vette and go buy a gt? Or keep going with my vision of this car?

Just figured I would get some other thoughts before I go down to visit him.

What would you do?
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
You know the saying... If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I would take a vette over the stang (not always but in this case I would) it just seems like there would be something wrong with the vette. Check it out, if it's a solid deal I say go for it. Tbh I would probably take the better and trade it for a newer stang or something
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
Mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-241135147.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	48734  
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mstlover99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dothan al
Region: Alabama
Posts: 32
Probably geting the vet and sell or trade for gt would be the best choose but that's up to you
Mstlover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
The vette
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-90877380.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	48735  
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
Interior
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2714133638.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	48736  
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang
I'm stuck here. I got my 99 for $1200 off a friend, spent another $1000 or so on various mods. I really like this car. Butttt, another friend drive my car and has offered to trade his 84 vette for my car. They had those problems with the cross fire injection, so he fixed all that, put a whole new bottom end in it, reupholstered the interior, it looks nice, and put rims on it that cost as much as I paid for my car, lol. But it's a silly looking flat black dull color. I'm going down to see it in person next week, and I've been marinating on this whole trading thing for a month now. Mines prolly worth $4k or so, the Vettes gotta be worth double that. So trade it and then sell the vette and go buy a gt? Or keep going with my vision of this car?

Just figured I would get some other thoughts before I go down to visit him.

What would you do?
I had the exact year,biggest POS I ever owned. Electrical night mare . Every parts cost 10 times normal. Don't do it, you'll regret it bud.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
Rims not included lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2135421639.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	601.3 KB
ID:	48737  
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang
Rims not included lol
I'll be selling it if I do trade
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Thumbs down

That even looks like a POS

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang View Post
I'll be selling it if I do trade
I wouldn't give you $1000 for it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
d_1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 148
Whatever u do pls chop that wing off lol
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
I like the looks of that 'vette however I doubt it's worth even 4500.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaYanks4Ev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 298
No way! You're either a Stang driver or Vette driver. Might as well be looking to trade it for a Camaro
__________________
Drivin' young, wild, and free!
DaYanks4Ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaYanks4Ev
No way! You're either a Stang driver or Vette driver. Might as well be looking to trade it for a Camaro
I guess I'm a Corvette guy then. I'd definitely pick a Corvette over almost any Mustang...

However between that '84 vette and that '99 mustang.. I'd probably trade for the vette anyway. With that relatively built engine and good looking interior.. A little TLC to the paint and you have a solid looking vette!
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kingmidas87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 621
Yeah they can be a big pain. I have a 85 and there are so many vacuum lines and little wires runnin everywhere it makes me sick! BUT, if that thing runs good and the tranny is solid, it won't matter how it looks as long as the rear bumper has a "Bye Bye" painted on it. Stock those cars will spank a GT and tell it to wash behind its ears.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
Yeah they can be a big pain. I have a 85 and there are so many vacuum lines and little wires runnin everywhere it makes me sick! BUT, if that thing runs good and the tranny is solid, it won't matter how it looks as long as the rear bumper has a "Bye Bye" painted on it. Stock those cars will spank a GT and tell it to wash behind its ears.
Good point.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kingmidas87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 621
Oh but for trade.... It REALLY depends on if you're planning on racing and wrenching or the occasional cruisin and bruisin. The vette is fast but not mpg friendly. The mustang looks good and drives good but has a smaller motor. If you would honestly feel confident on trading over your stang that you put all the time and money into then do it. I don't think it's really worth that much more than your car. The interior doesn't look professionally done and the exterior isn't finished. Also look at if he had an alignment done after those rims, cuz you would need one after putting those on.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
2000v6stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Iowa
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang
Rims not included lol
Sweet! Cobra R wing! don't care what y'all say I love it!!
__________________

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
2000v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
i would take the vette. loving the interior. just needs a little love and paint
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
that vette isn't worth 5k. It would be worth more in parts for sure.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
shaqfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Region: Illinois
Posts: 390
Re: Mustang for vette?

you have to ask yourself, why would he want to trade for my car if it is worth less money, as he could do the same thing if it was easy to sell his.
__________________

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
ForsakenProto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,143
Ive gotta say im a fan of the cobra R wing with that color. For the vette, my father owned one from that generation (86 i believe) and it couldnt stay running longer than 20 minutes without stalling. I dont know if its from where he had swapped a six speed in it or not, but knowing my family id doubt that was it.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqfu
you have to ask yourself, why would he want to trade for my car if it is worth less money, as he could do the same thing if it was easy to sell his.
The guy I got it from bought it new. The three of us have all been good friends since we were little. It's not a scam or anything lol. We have just both wanted this stang for 10 years now. He took care of it but kept it stock. I guess I'll just have to drive this thing when I get down there, make the decision then.
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang

The guy I got it from bought it new. The three of us have all been good friends since we were little. It's not a scam or anything lol. We have just both wanted this stang for 10 years now. He took care of it but kept it stock. I guess I'll just have to drive this thing when I get down there, make the decision then.
You have a really nice car. If you want a vette fine, everyone has at one point in life. Do a little research, the 84 model yr has more problems than the rest combined. There's one out there for you. But I highly recommend staying away from the 84. When your broke down and can't afford to fix it , ur buddys just gona smile when he drives by in that good looking blue STANG.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang
I'm stuck here. I got my 99 for $1200 off a friend, spent another $1000 or so on various mods. I really like this car. Butttt, another friend drive my car and has offered to trade his 84 vette for my car. They had those problems with the cross fire injection, so he fixed all that, put a whole new bottom end in it, reupholstered the interior, it looks nice, and put rims on it that cost as much as I paid for my car, lol. But it's a silly looking flat black dull color. I'm going down to see it in person next week, and I've been marinating on this whole trading thing for a month now. Mines prolly worth $4k or so, the Vettes gotta be worth double that. So trade it and then sell the vette and go buy a gt? Or keep going with my vision of this car?

Just figured I would get some other thoughts before I go down to visit him.

What would you do?
No! Ford mustangs 4 lyfe homeeeeyyyyy

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaYanks4Ev
No way! You're either a Stang driver or Vette driver. Might as well be looking to trade it for a Camaro
+1

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

You have a really nice car. If you want a vette fine, everyone has at one point in life. Do a little research, the 84 model yr has more problems than the rest combined. There's one out there for you. But I highly recommend staying away from the 84. When your broke down and can't afford to fix it , ur buddys just gona smile when he drives by in that good looking blue STANG.
+11111 don't do it
__________________
"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
2000v6stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Iowa
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

No! Ford mustangs 4 lyfe homeeeeyyyyy

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------



+1
+100 Stang forever
__________________

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
2000v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

You have a really nice car. If you want a vette fine, everyone has at one point in life. Do a little research, the 84 model yr has more problems than the rest combined. There's one out there for you. But I highly recommend staying away from the 84. When your broke down and can't afford to fix it , ur buddys just gona smile when he drives by in that good looking blue STANG.
I was always told to stay away from the first year if a major change of car models. They didn't make an 83 Vette. 84 was a big change from the prior style. I wouldn't touch it. If you must satisfy your Vette lust, I'd look for 86 or so.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
Lol, I've had a Couple Vettes in the past. An 85 and a 98. No vette lust. I guess the main issue is whether or not this vette is worth any more than this mustang. I'd rather have a gt in the end of all this trading and selling mess. If the vette is worth more I'll prolly do it. If I see this thing and I can't see more than a few thousand dollars there, I'll keep the sixxer for now.

This post was a good idea, very insightful.
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ilovemustangs88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 158
Keep the mustang!
Ilovemustangs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
I would keep the mustang ! But it's really up to you , I love my car and it's what I want it to be I wouldn't trade it in a million years
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaturnMan8227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: California
Posts: 831
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227
Re: Mustang for vette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
I would keep the mustang ! But it's really up to you , I love my car and it's what I want it to be I wouldn't trade it in a million years
+1

I loved my V6 Mustang when I had her. I love my GT even more. after I bought my GT, My older brother asked me, "why did you get that car?"

I said, "because I love Mustangs. It's what I want."

Do what you want to. It's up to you. You don't have to answer to anyone but yourself when it comes to this deal. I just wouldn't do the trade. To be honest I think your "friend" is trying to get over on you because you have a thing for Vettes.
__________________
SaturnMan8227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
KATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cutler Bay
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,591
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: Mustang for vette?

Definately Test drive the Vette, but I know you said it was a friend and it's hard to say to a friend "that you wanna take the car in for some Mech to check it out, but you need to have someone check out it's condition. Read up on that year car and that years problems, see if it's in your budget to repair those problems in case they do come around and happen. Other than that, get the Vette, after all it is "A Vette".
__________________
07 GT. SCT: CUSTOM TUNE by "MUSTANG SPECIALTIES". LMR: GEN2 2010 STYLE HEADLIGHTS, RAXIOM: 2010 SMOKED COYOTE TAIL LIGHTS, WHEELS: STAGGERED WHL 22X8.5F-22X10R.
KATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hutchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227

+1

I loved my V6 Mustang when I had her. I love my GT even more. after I bought my GT, My older brother asked me, "why did you get that car?"

I said, "because I love Mustangs. It's what I want."

Do what you want to. It's up to you. You don't have to answer to anyone but yourself when it comes to this deal. I just wouldn't do the trade. To be honest I think your "friend" is trying to get over on you because you have a thing for Vettes.
You realize a 6 cyl 99 mustang with 160,000 miles is only worth a couple grand, right. I don't think he's trying to get over on me, his car has gotta be worth at least $5,000 or so. I guess maybe that's something I should be looking into, huh? How much are similar cars going for.
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang

You realize a 6 cyl 99 mustang with 160,000 miles is only worth a couple grand, right. I don't think he's trying to get over on me, his car has gotta be worth at least $5,000 or so. I guess maybe that's something I should be looking into, huh? How much are similar cars going for.
If I were u (and I'm not) I'd trade for that POS !!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Sorry beer talking
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #35
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
honestly i am not a vette guy. but i personally wouldnt worry about it have new model problems. because as old as the car is most of those problems are probably fixxed by now. do some research and check values.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:49 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.