Mustang for vette? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Mustang for vette?

I'm stuck here. I got my 99 for $1200 off a friend, spent another $1000 or so on various mods. I really like this car. Butttt, another friend drive my car and has offered to trade his 84 vette for my car. They had those problems with the cross fire injection, so he fixed all that, put a whole new bottom end in it, reupholstered the interior, it looks nice, and put rims on it that cost as much as I paid for my car, lol. But it's a silly looking flat black dull color. I'm going down to see it in person next week, and I've been marinating on this whole trading thing for a month now. Mines prolly worth $4k or so, the Vettes gotta be worth double that. So trade it and then sell the vette and go buy a gt? Or keep going with my vision of this car?

Just figured I would get some other thoughts before I go down to visit him.

What would you do?
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
You know the saying... If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I would take a vette over the stang (not always but in this case I would) it just seems like there would be something wrong with the vette. Check it out, if it's a solid deal I say go for it. Tbh I would probably take the better and trade it for a newer stang or something

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-241135147.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	48734  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Probably geting the vet and sell or trade for gt would be the best choose but that's up to you
Mstlover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The vette
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-90877380.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	48735  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Interior
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2714133638.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	48736  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang
I'm stuck here. I got my 99 for $1200 off a friend, spent another $1000 or so on various mods. I really like this car. Butttt, another friend drive my car and has offered to trade his 84 vette for my car. They had those problems with the cross fire injection, so he fixed all that, put a whole new bottom end in it, reupholstered the interior, it looks nice, and put rims on it that cost as much as I paid for my car, lol. But it's a silly looking flat black dull color. I'm going down to see it in person next week, and I've been marinating on this whole trading thing for a month now. Mines prolly worth $4k or so, the Vettes gotta be worth double that. So trade it and then sell the vette and go buy a gt? Or keep going with my vision of this car?

What would you do?
I had the exact year,biggest POS I ever owned. Electrical night mare . Every parts cost 10 times normal. Don't do it, you'll regret it bud.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Rims not included lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2135421639.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	601.3 KB
ID:	48737  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Rims not included lol
I'll be selling it if I do trade
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs down

That even looks like a POS

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchstang View Post
I'll be selling it if I do trade
I wouldn't give you $1000 for it.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Whatever u do pls chop that wing off lol
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I like the looks of that 'vette however I doubt it's worth even 4500.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
No way! You're either a Stang driver or Vette driver. Might as well be looking to trade it for a Camaro
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaYanks4Ev
No way! You're either a Stang driver or Vette driver. Might as well be looking to trade it for a Camaro
I guess I'm a Corvette guy then. I'd definitely pick a Corvette over almost any Mustang...

However between that '84 vette and that '99 mustang.. I'd probably trade for the vette anyway. With that relatively built engine and good looking interior.. A little TLC to the paint and you have a solid looking vette!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they can be a big pain. I have a 85 and there are so many vacuum lines and little wires runnin everywhere it makes me sick! BUT, if that thing runs good and the tranny is solid, it won't matter how it looks as long as the rear bumper has a "Bye Bye" painted on it. Stock those cars will spank a GT and tell it to wash behind its ears.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
Yeah they can be a big pain. I have a 85 and there are so many vacuum lines and little wires runnin everywhere it makes me sick! BUT, if that thing runs good and the tranny is solid, it won't matter how it looks as long as the rear bumper has a "Bye Bye" painted on it. Stock those cars will spank a GT and tell it to wash behind its ears.
Good point.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Oh but for trade.... It REALLY depends on if you're planning on racing and wrenching or the occasional cruisin and bruisin. The vette is fast but not mpg friendly. The mustang looks good and drives good but has a smaller motor. If you would honestly feel confident on trading over your stang that you put all the time and money into then do it. I don't think it's really worth that much more than your car. The interior doesn't look professionally done and the exterior isn't finished. Also look at if he had an alignment done after those rims, cuz you would need one after putting those on.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Rims not included lol
Sweet! Cobra R wing! don't care what y'all say I love it!!

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
2000v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i would take the vette. loving the interior. just needs a little love and paint

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
that vette isn't worth 5k. It would be worth more in parts for sure.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Mustang for vette?

you have to ask yourself, why would he want to trade for my car if it is worth less money, as he could do the same thing if it was easy to sell his.

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ive gotta say im a fan of the cobra R wing with that color. For the vette, my father owned one from that generation (86 i believe) and it couldnt stay running longer than 20 minutes without stalling. I dont know if its from where he had swapped a six speed in it or not, but knowing my family id doubt that was it.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqfu
you have to ask yourself, why would he want to trade for my car if it is worth less money, as he could do the same thing if it was easy to sell his.
The guy I got it from bought it new. The three of us have all been good friends since we were little. It's not a scam or anything lol. We have just both wanted this stang for 10 years now. He took care of it but kept it stock. I guess I'll just have to drive this thing when I get down there, make the decision then.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The guy I got it from bought it new. The three of us have all been good friends since we were little. It's not a scam or anything lol. We have just both wanted this stang for 10 years now. He took care of it but kept it stock. I guess I'll just have to drive this thing when I get down there, make the decision then.
You have a really nice car. If you want a vette fine, everyone has at one point in life. Do a little research, the 84 model yr has more problems than the rest combined. There's one out there for you. But I highly recommend staying away from the 84. When your broke down and can't afford to fix it , ur buddys just gona smile when he drives by in that good looking blue STANG.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

What would you do?
No! Ford mustangs 4 lyfe homeeeeyyyyy

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaYanks4Ev
+1

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

You have a really nice car. If you want a vette fine, everyone has at one point in life. Do a little research, the 84 model yr has more problems than the rest combined. There's one out there for you. But I highly recommend staying away from the 84. When your broke down and can't afford to fix it , ur buddys just gona smile when he drives by in that good looking blue STANG.
+11111 don't do it

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

No! Ford mustangs 4 lyfe homeeeeyyyyy

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

+1
+100 Stang forever

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
2000v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

I was always told to stay away from the first year if a major change of car models. They didn't make an 83 Vette. 84 was a big change from the prior style. I wouldn't touch it. If you must satisfy your Vette lust, I'd look for 86 or so.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, I've had a Couple Vettes in the past. An 85 and a 98. No vette lust. I guess the main issue is whether or not this vette is worth any more than this mustang. I'd rather have a gt in the end of all this trading and selling mess. If the vette is worth more I'll prolly do it. If I see this thing and I can't see more than a few thousand dollars there, I'll keep the sixxer for now.

This post was a good idea, very insightful.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Keep the mustang!
Ilovemustangs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would keep the mustang ! But it's really up to you , I love my car and it's what I want it to be I wouldn't trade it in a million years
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
I would keep the mustang ! But it's really up to you , I love my car and it's what I want it to be I wouldn't trade it in a million years
+1

I loved my V6 Mustang when I had her. I love my GT even more. after I bought my GT, My older brother asked me, "why did you get that car?"

I said, "because I love Mustangs. It's what I want."

Do what you want to. It's up to you. You don't have to answer to anyone but yourself when it comes to this deal. I just wouldn't do the trade. To be honest I think your "friend" is trying to get over on you because you have a thing for Vettes.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Definately Test drive the Vette, but I know you said it was a friend and it's hard to say to a friend "that you wanna take the car in for some Mech to check it out, but you need to have someone check out it's condition. Read up on that year car and that years problems, see if it's in your budget to repair those problems in case they do come around and happen. Other than that, get the Vette, after all it is "A Vette".
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227

+1

I loved my V6 Mustang when I had her. I love my GT even more. after I bought my GT, My older brother asked me, "why did you get that car?"

I said, "because I love Mustangs. It's what I want."

Do what you want to. It's up to you. You don't have to answer to anyone but yourself when it comes to this deal. I just wouldn't do the trade. To be honest I think your "friend" is trying to get over on you because you have a thing for Vettes.
You realize a 6 cyl 99 mustang with 160,000 miles is only worth a couple grand, right. I don't think he's trying to get over on me, his car has gotta be worth at least $5,000 or so. I guess maybe that's something I should be looking into, huh? How much are similar cars going for.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You realize a 6 cyl 99 mustang with 160,000 miles is only worth a couple grand, right. I don't think he's trying to get over on me, his car has gotta be worth at least $5,000 or so. I guess maybe that's something I should be looking into, huh? How much are similar cars going for.
If I were u (and I'm not) I'd trade for that POS !!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Sorry beer talking
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #35
Road Trip!

honestly i am not a vette guy. but i personally wouldnt worry about it have new model problems. because as old as the car is most of those problems are probably fixxed by now. do some research and check values.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang