Ordered an ASP UDP from LMR! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Ordered an ASP UDP from LMR!

There are a lot of threads regarding UDP, but very little input from owners... I figured I would go ahead and buy one and see for myself... Maybe I'll have a reason to BUY MORE TOOLS!

My list of future mods is getting pretty damn short now...

The only thing left is:
front calipers w/lines
4 new rotors w/brakes
coil springs, shocks/struts, sway bars

After that I will be DONE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
U will never be done....
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Once done with your suspension you will want more performance then after performance you'll want visual appeal.... The list is ne'er ending for me lol
Dgerow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to johnofarch14
Please let us know what kind of performace you can feel after the install!! Thanks!!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Ordered an ASP UDP from LMR!

ASP? I got the underdrive pulley from late model restoration part (it took me a bit haha). Whats ASP though?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrad00
ASP? I got the underdrive pulley from late model restoration part (it took me a bit haha). Whats ASP though?
ASP is the brand that LMR sells
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Did you buy the one that comes with the belt? How much did you pay for it?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofarch14
Did you buy the one that comes with the belt? How much did you pay for it?
No belt. $249 I think. Not home now to check.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John

No belt. $249 I think. Not home now to check.
Oh thanks! Let us know right away what it feels to have an asp udp in our new edge. i'm ready to order, still looking for more reviews. i'm getting it from stangmods. The 1 with the belt $234 that includes a coupon code.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofarch14

Oh thanks! Let us know right away what it feels to have an asp udp in our new edge. i'm ready to order, still looking for more reviews. i'm getting it from stangmods. The 1 with the belt $234 that includes a coupon code.
I keep forgetting about the #)&$@! coupon codes for forum members. Can not believe how much money I've wasted by not getting the AM code.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I went and looked as soon as I got home. The one I got was $239.99 without a belt. The only one I saw available with a belt isn't for my 01-04.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
There are a lot of threads regarding UDP, but very little input from owners... I figured I would go ahead and buy one and see for myself... Maybe I'll have a reason to BUY MORE TOOLS!

My list of future mods is getting pretty damn short now...

The only thing left is:
front calipers w/lines
4 new rotors w/brakes
coil springs, shocks/struts, sway bars

After that I will be DONE!
I'm with you on the search, nothing but opions from thread hijackers.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Installed and ready to drive. Engine is running and everything lines up correctly

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120505_181037.png
Views:	337
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	49254
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Installed and ready to drive. Engine is running and everything lines up correctly
Niceeee!! So how was it??
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I got a BIG puller/pusher kit from Advance Auto (free loaner) and it had everything I needed. Followed these directions Install ASP Underdrive Pulley on a 99-02 V6 Mustang and it was smooth and effortless. Thankfully I didn't have any problems because everything came loose without breaking or stripping anything. I don't have air tools, so I did everything with a 1/4" and a 1/2" socket set.

From start to finish took about an hour or so...

Prior to ripping into this project, I went out in the country and beat the holy hell out of my car so I could get a good "feel" for acceleration.

After the install I didn't even make it 2 blocks before I got this big grin on my face
Old 05-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Wow! Did you feel any gains? Any details about how you feel while driving?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My "seat of the pants" dyno says there is a difference.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Do you have a web link? Where you got it from?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I got this one, belt not included... that was something like $35 for a Gates brand belt. I would have gotten a cheaper belt but no one had a crossover chart with that number on it..

2001-04 Mustang 3.8L Underdrive Crank Pulley And Harmonic Balancer at LRS - Free Shipping!

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Performance Observation:

There was a series of thunder storms that rolled through here a bit ago dropping golf ball sized hail so I hit the damn highway to get out of the way... 100 mile trip. I can say with absolute certainty that when I drop it into 3rd and jam through the gears I do indeed pass cars quicker than I used to. Not much really, but a little.

Stop and go city traffic is where I noticed an immediate improvement in acceleration. That got me thinking, and below is the result of my internal head-banging session....

My theory works like this... "Accessories create the same amount of drag no matter what RPM your engine is operating at, therefore, the further you are away from peak torque the more beneficial an underdriven pulley system becomes".

An alternator, power steering pump, even the belt tension pulley require the same amount of effort to turn no matter how slow or fast you turn them. Obviously the alternator and air conditioning compressor only create drag while charging or cooling so they only cause "periodic drag". The power steering pump and water pump are "constant drag"

At low engine RPMs such as would be encountered during slow driving in city traffic our little 3.8 is near the bottom of the torque curve, no where near peak. The parasitic drag of the accessories is more pronounced due to the low amount of power being generated. By underdriving the belt that drives the accessories, we are making more of torque available by reducing the constant drag.

Summary:
Low RPM = big difference
High RPM = little difference
Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Damn I have a 2000
Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
Damn I have a 2000

Here ya go! 99-2000 1999-00 Mustang 3.8L Underdrive Crank Pulley And Harmonic Balancer at LRS - Free Shipping!

The only difference is that the 99-00 are externally balanced and have an weight cast into the harmonic balancer and the 01-04 are internally balanced and don't have that bump.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Thanks Just_John
Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

welcome... I try to help where I can...

I also meant to mention that I did not notice any reduction in power steering or air conditioning at idle... lowering the speed of the accessories haven't effected those at all
Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
I got this one, belt not included... that was something like $35 for a Gates brand belt. I would have gotten a cheaper belt but no one had a crossover chart with that number on it..

2001-04 Mustang 3.8L Underdrive Crank Pulley And Harmonic Balancer at LRS - Free Shipping!

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Performance Observation:

There was a series of thunder storms that rolled through here a bit ago dropping golf ball sized hail so I hit the damn highway to get out of the way... 100 mile trip. I can say with absolute certainty that when I drop it into 3rd and jam through the gears I do indeed pass cars quicker than I used to. Not much really, but a little.

Stop and go city traffic is where I noticed an immediate improvement in acceleration. That got me thinking, and below is the result of my internal head-banging session....

My theory works like this... "Accessories create the same amount of drag no matter what RPM your engine is operating at, therefore, the further you are away from peak torque the more beneficial an underdriven pulley system becomes".

An alternator, power steering pump, even the belt tension pulley require the same amount of effort to turn no matter how slow or fast you turn them. Obviously the alternator and air conditioning compressor only create drag while charging or cooling so they only cause "periodic drag". The power steering pump and water pump are "constant drag"

At low engine RPMs such as would be encountered during slow driving in city traffic our little 3.8 is near the bottom of the torque curve, no where near peak. The parasitic drag of the accessories is more pronounced due to the low amount of power being generated. By underdriving the belt that drives the accessories, we are making more of torque available by reducing the constant drag.

Summary:
Low RPM = big difference
High RPM = little difference
So your saying the regulaur size belt doesn't work due to the smaller set up? So you need a certain belt...
Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, since the pulley is 25% smaller diameter the original belt is too long, you need a shorter one. The one that they recommend on Late Model Restoration is the Gates K060966 which I found at a parts store in town for around $35 or so.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Your the best Just_John, Very well explained. thanks!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang