Mustang Evolution Forum banner

ported intakes/heads

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  afinley11 
#1 ·
Hey all, I waswondering how much is the average price to get heads, and upper and lower intakes ported and polished? What about install? I am assumign thats an expensive piece of work....any ideas so i know what to save up?

Also, without a cam, what would the gains be?

#2 ·
Your gains should be ok on on just heads and intakes alone, b8t I do not see why you would not want to put a cam in. If you are worried about the idle quality just have the vendor match you a set of heads to the cam. The heads and intake will also you run you more if buy with out the cam. Super Six Motor Sports, Delk, and RPM mustangs all sell Head/Intake/Cam Packages and can range any where from 2200-4000 in price! That is for all new/Reconditioned parts. You can also cruise the boards and be patient likeI was and just buy them peice by peice from some one who is selling them. I saved a ton by doing that. To install can be anywhere from 1000-2500 for a fair price. I would say the gain depend on the package and car, but I have seen a head intake cam packege with a single port average about 190 @ the wheels or more and a 260 @ the wheels on a split port car <kirk or silver stang> Any way it really depends on the aplicationa dn year of car.

What ever you do make sure you plan for the future and if you are going to turbo or SC make sure you do the bottom end forged too. Plan your build towards your ultimate goal and it you will save tons of money in the end!

Good luck man!!!

#3 · (Edited)
TYVM...much appreciated.

Well, I plan on keeping my Car N/A since it will be a daily driver. As for price...I wish I had a spare 2000-to spend. so I will probably buy them as they show up. Not sure if I want to buy them already ported and stuff or just by stock parts and ahve them ported by a local shop...any suggestions on that?

Also, I have tghe stock headers and a Y pipe dual exhasut kit...how much of a restriction will that be for the car?

#4 ·
Personally I would not have the parts ported locally. The three listed above(SuperSix, Delk, and RPM) all have alot of experience and you will end up with better gains from their port work over someone else's. Just because of the R&D they have into it.

I would definitley consider getting a new exhaust, with ported heads you can put in bigger valves and with a nice cam and exhaust see even bigger gains. You don't even need to change your exhaust, a local shop can weld in straight pipes for you. I was quoted 80/pipe to convert my Y to Dual.

If you don't want to change the exhaust you can talk with the three and they will work around it and just give you a weaker cam but you won't get as much out of it.

#5 ·
That is solid advice, people sell head they do need or use any more all the time. Just watch the for sale forums. I would also put on headers and a good exhaust system to maximumize gains!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.