auto or 5 speed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
auto or 5 speed

I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death....I just joined the forum and have decided to buy a 2005 or newer v6 coupe or convertible. I live in the Northwest near Seattle where it rains a lot but summers are beautiful. I have owned sport cars,sedans and suv's in the past.Some auto , some stick. I am 52 years old and commute to work about 30 minutes of stop and go freeway. I have 5 years of commuting left before I can retire. I know that a 5 speed can be more fun, lower purchase price, and more control of power and probably less maintenance. Also in traffic an auto is certainly easier and more relaxing. My wife's truck is an auto nissan xterra so buying a stick would give us one of each. Any opinions or thoughts from 5 speed owners and auto owner's to help me make up my mind. Not to be too much trouble while you are at it any comments re convertible purchase . Thanks in advance for your replies.

dodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: auto or 5 speed

Basically if you plan to mod the car and enjoy it as such a manual is the only way to go. I will say that the new autos in the 05+ mustangs are much better than the previous versions... but I still like the manual. The clutch is so light in those things its not a big deal IMO. The auto will have a higher resale value AND resale market as well.

Convertibles are nice but if you dont get to use them often it kind of sucks. I only drive mine when I can drop the top (almost always at least). Some people are just not convertible people and some are... I just HATE seeing all these stupid people driving around on perfect days with the top UP....

You will just have to decide if you actually want the convertible or if its just a fad/phase you are working through and once the new wears off you wont care as much about it.

Upkeep is pretty much the same. If you take care of the car overall its not a big deal. I generally clean the weather seals everytime I clean the car with some rubber/interior cleaner to keep them lubricated~

2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Region: Florida

Been driving my 5 speed to work about a 20 min. trip in stop and go .At times it's annoying,but I'd rather be slightly annoyed then have a auto (8 more years till I retire)

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Region: Arizona

manual manual manual
ME Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #5

Auto....everyday commute with a stick...pretty much SUCKS
LBOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

The clutches in those cars isn't enough to complain about. I've gotten stuck in some stop-and-go traffic a few times in my car and it'll kill your legs...I still enjoy it over my auto though. Trying to get my hands on a 5 speed truck for work.
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

im planning on buying a new car within the year... i REALLY want a manual, but unfortunately the commute would probably make me want to kill myself. manual and city traffic are a bad combination. if it was more highway, i could deal with it, but its 100% city. also, if you are worried about performance at all, autos can outperform manuals if modded correctly.. it just wont be as fun haha.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Region: Mississippi

I drive in the city and some interstate. I would take my 5 speed manual over an auto anyday...

Lil Red Sally
2008 Mustang V6 Coupe
Adopted Nov. 3, 2007 :)
jmmckay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang