Windlow louver question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Windlow louver question

Kay just got window louvers and got the back from paint,
And are kinda warped
So I set them on my jack stands in my garage which is 75+ degrees and having them sit over night so they will bend back to shape. I hope.

Any other recommendations?

Those were the instructions from xenon from where I bought them
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Need a picture.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
I'll post when I'm home
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaturnMan8227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: California
Posts: 831
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227
Re: Windlow louver question

I recommend that you have these installed by a pro but it can be done with you and a few buddies.

Things you need
Wax/silicone remover
Simple green - this a good cleaner helps remove dirt and wax from work area.
Transparent plastic adhesive primer (should have come with the kit go to the store and get more.)
scotchbrite pads or wet sand paper
Wax/grease pen

Using simple green or similar type cleaner you’re going to want to remove as much dirt and wax from the glass and body of the car. Using a wax or silicone remover will also help in this area.
Pre fit the window louver to the car. Using a wax/grease pen draw an outline of the louver. This will come in handy when you apply the lover to the body.
Using a scotch brite pad or wet sand paper you will need to lightly sand the painted surface of the car. Also do this under side of the louver if the tape has not already been applied. Also reclean the “sanded” area.
Apply the plastic adhesive primer the underside of the louver and apply the 3m bonding tape.
Apply the plastic adhesive primer to the work surface on the car. Using the outline as a guide remove the 3M tape and apply the lover to the car.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------



make sure you dont have the louver upside down on the wrong side of the car. this what it will look for when it propley installed



__________________
SaturnMan8227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Paint is new new new, just came back yesterday, so I will not be sanding that. Lol.
I have to tape attached to the scoops, and hope the heat will warp them back. The way I have them set
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaturnMan8227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Region: California
Posts: 831
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227
Re: Windlow louver question

you're gonna need to sand the surface of the car to get the 3M tape to stick correctly. if you don't feel confident enough to do it then pay the body shop to do the install. I know you feel about wanting and a new paint job but i have installed all kinds of body kits on cars mainly wings west kits and this is what I have always done.
__________________
SaturnMan8227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
Kay just got window louvers and got the back from paint,
And are kinda warped
So I set them on my jack stands in my garage which is 75+ degrees and having them sit over night so they will bend back to shape. I hope.

Any other recommendations?

Those were the instructions from xenon from where I bought them
How exactly are they warped? I ordered mine from AM, and stuck them on with out any issues. They looked bent almost, like they weren't going to stay on even with the 3M, but I guess they're all like that because they're fine now.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3429928116.png
Views:	324
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	49243Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2642742225.png
Views:	282
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	49244Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3433479983.png
Views:	298
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	49246Click image for larger version

Name:	image-91341679.png
Views:	291
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	49245
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227
I recommend that you have these installed by a pro but it can be done with you and a few buddies.

Things you need
Wax/silicone remover
Simple green - this a good cleaner helps remove dirt and wax from work area.
Transparent plastic adhesive primer (should have come with the kit go to the store and get more.)
scotchbrite pads or wet sand paper
Wax/grease pen

Using simple green or similar type cleaner you’re going to want to remove as much dirt and wax from the glass and body of the car. Using a wax or silicone remover will also help in this area.
Pre fit the window louver to the car. Using a wax/grease pen draw an outline of the louver. This will come in handy when you apply the lover to the body.
Using a scotch brite pad or wet sand paper you will need to lightly sand the painted surface of the car. Also do this under side of the louver if the tape has not already been applied. Also reclean the “sanded” area.
Apply the plastic adhesive primer the underside of the louver and apply the 3m bonding tape.
Apply the plastic adhesive primer to the work surface on the car. Using the outline as a guide remove the 3M tape and apply the lover to the car.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------



make sure you dont have the louver upside down on the wrong side of the car. this what it will look for when it propley installed
Well it should be easy to install... Use alcohol not simple green. I have experience in that. I ha three window louvers. Going to get another soon. The first one a collision center installed a piece of crap collision center, and it flew off going 75 mph lmao. Then the next one I went and did it myself, that time I tested to see how much strength the 3m moddeling tape had. It was very strong took it off bc one bracket came off so I took it off getting another one this one will stay on.... I'd like to know what this louver looked like in all sides... Can u post some pictures of that?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
At work.
Can't post anything sadly don't have them
With me. The center of them kinda warped down-wards.
I've had them in the hot garage all day so web I get home I can bend them into shape more.

I've had the tape on them since this morning so they stick well to the louvers.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Probably just gonna bend them more tonight then have my father and I push them against the car for 3-4 minutes and slowly let go. I have tape on all 4 sides on the window louvers. The 3 straight sides and the side that curves to the window.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
At work.
Can't post anything sadly don't have them
With me. The center of them kinda warped down-wards.
I've had them in the hot garage all day so web I get home I can bend them into shape more.

I've had the tape on them since this morning so they stick well to the louvers.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Probably just gonna bend them more tonight then have my father and I push them against the car for 3-4 minutes and slowly let go. I have tape on all 4 sides on the window louvers. The 3 straight sides and the side that curves to the window.
Alright. I thought about these louvers just worried about the way they were made. Just incase tho, I'm sure you could get some made outa fiberglass.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
If they don't work I'm a be pissed
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
If they don't work I'm a be pissed
Sorry bro but fact is if they don't they don't work they're just one of those things you know, bad design. Just like my billet black upper and lower grille bad design. They come from small companies that just fabricate things to make money. So don't feel bad bro. Been there. To bad they don't have trials for things like that like money back guarantee

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I've seen mustangs around where I live at least 2 or 3 they seem fine. You might do well tho. Just stay confident.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
I got mine from AM normally they sell quality sh**
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
I got mine from AM normally they sell quality sh**
Yeah they're stuff yes. But they also have private vendors just like wilpack industries make the rear window louvers. I love those rear window louvers

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Performance parts are guaranteed to work to their full potential. The exterior parts are just shop designs. I personally don't like they're scoops. But that's all I didn't like that plus theyre billet grilles.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Just_John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: South Dakota
Posts: 384
Re: Windlow louver question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
How exactly are they warped? I ordered mine from AM, and stuck them on with out any issues. They looked bent almost, like they weren't going to stay on even with the 3M, but I guess they're all like that because they're fine now.


Attachment 49243Attachment 49244Attachment 49246Attachment 49245
I am NOT a fan of side window louvers by any measure, BUT I must say that your car looks absolutely stunning! Maybe it's the color, maybe it's the style... dunno, but I'd be proud to drive THAT car.
__________________
01 V6 5 spd
Windstar upper, shorty headers, high-flow catted X, American Thunder catback, SCT Tuner, ASP 25% UDP, FRPP T-Lok
Just_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John

I am NOT a fan of side window louvers by any measure, BUT I must say that your car looks absolutely stunning! Maybe it's the color, maybe it's the style... dunno, but I'd be proud to drive THAT car.
Aww! Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. First car I ever owned and I couldn't be more happy. .
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
They straightened out just a little. Moved the stands under the other part where warped. Should be fine tomorrow
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii

Aww! Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. First car I ever owned and I couldn't be more happy. .
Yeah that does look good.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Yeah that does look good.
Haha thanks! .
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii

Haha thanks! .
I remember when you first got that car. It was in 2010 or 2011 right? Bc I remember a girl from new jersey with a blue mustang. An that name.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

And we have the same interest. I was in talented art 6 years including high school, I played a lot of acoustic guitar. Not much a movie person unless it's what I like. And like most of us here like to work on our cars. So I remember you. And your first day here.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

I remember when you first got that car. It was in 2010 or 2011 right? Bc I remember a girl from new jersey with a blue mustang. An that name.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

And we have the same interest. I was in talented art 6 years including high school, I played a lot of acoustic guitar. Not much a movie person unless it's what I like. And like most of us here like to work on our cars. So I remember you. And your first day here.
Creep. O.o I joined this site two days after I got my car lol. So December 28th 2011. It may have been me though. I'll be pissed if you're describing someone else with my name, a blue car and who plays guitar.
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Just_John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: South Dakota
Posts: 384
Re: Windlow louver question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
Creep. O.o I joined this site two days after I got my car lol. So December 28th 2011. It may have been me though. I'll be pissed if you're describing someone else with my name, a blue car and who plays guitar.
LOL
__________________
01 V6 5 spd
Windstar upper, shorty headers, high-flow catted X, American Thunder catback, SCT Tuner, ASP 25% UDP, FRPP T-Lok
Just_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #23
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii

Creep. O.o I joined this site two days after I got my car lol. So December 28th 2011. It may have been me though. I'll be pissed if you're describing someone else with my name, a blue car and who plays guitar.
Wow who you calling a creep. Must have been someone else.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Was just trying to see if you were that person guess not. Wow you thank me one minute for a compliment and call me a creep when I was just conversating.

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
They straightened out just a little. Moved the stands under the other part where warped. Should be fine tomorrow
Anyway. Are those louvers like groves like open scoops or like the side scoops and just stop after some point? I'd like a photo of looking at the side looking back into the louver.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Wow who you calling a creep. Must have been someone else.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Was just trying to see if you were that person guess not. Wow you thank me one minute for a compliment and call me a creep when I was just conversating.

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------



Anyway. Are those louvers like groves like open scoops or like the side scoops and just stop after some point? I'd like a photo of looking at the side looking back into the louver.
LOL! I'm just kiddin! Take a joke! .
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii

LOL! I'm just kiddin! Take a joke! .
Oh god you had me. I would have felt like some freak creep in front of everyone. Thanks
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Scoops are one. Now to buy silicone and let it set and harden. One side is pulling a little off, so that is part of the reason for silicone and to prevent the tape from getting wet.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Oh god you had me. I would have felt like some freak creep in front of everyone. Thanks
Aww hahah. I'm sorry! You're not a creep... Yet.
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
i hope it works out for u bud! im waiting on ur results with this product to decide if im gona buy them for mine lol. ive never been a fan of them but i saw a new edge in the college parking lot a few weeks back and i must admit it got my attention.
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
They look better in person than pictures.
They r good, pull the trigger and get them, they look way mean, and they seem to hold very well.
I'm
Using the silicone tomorrow since I had to go to work.
The silicon will dry and hold them better to the car and when in the sun they will eventually mold and be perfect to the car, they look mean
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
They look better in person than pictures.
They r good, pull the trigger and get them, they look way mean, and they seem to hold very well.
I'm
Using the silicone tomorrow since I had to go to work.
The silicon will dry and hold them better to the car and when in the sun they will eventually mold and be perfect to the car, they look mean
awesome. take pics wen u get a chance
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
I have a crappy one but here.
Take better pics with my friends cam soon. He has very hi-Res pics from this cam. But here is a nasty iPhone 4 pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2520971150.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	49404  
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
I have a crappy one but here.
Take better pics with my friends cam soon. He has very hi-Res pics from this cam. But here is a nasty iPhone 4 pic
I wanna see a picture aimed at the inside groove of the louver.
Do you like these louvers are they worth it?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Ya they look VERY aggressive. Just stack them correctly and they look good. Good quality mostly. Just tint the window black on the inside and u won't see the groove. I'll post more tomorrow
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 458
Here are mines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2173438286.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	49415   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4264466854.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	49416  

Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #35
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
Ya they look VERY aggressive. Just stack them correctly and they look good. Good quality mostly. Just tint the window black on the inside and u won't see the groove. I'll post more tomorrow
Ok

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay
Here are mines
That's cool the wind can flow through those... But I need pictures of the 99-04 louvers
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:13 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.