Preventative Maintenance/ Starting Issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Preventative Maintenance/ Starting Issues

So about a week ago I pulled into a gas station, and when i went to leave the car wouldnt start. I was able to roll start it (god bless manual transmissions) and in the process i noticed everything in the car was still receiving power, and i could faintly hear the starter activating. About 3 days ago though i had the same problem except this time the battery was also dead. Took it to auto zone and they said the battery was good, but had a charge of 0%, im assuming caused by the strain of starting it each time by what may be a faulty starter. Had it tested last night, they said my alternator was fine (12.230/12.210 amps) and my battery was staying charged as well. Keep in mind this is a 12 year old car which when bought last year had 53k on it and has 67k on it now with all original parts (except for plugs, wires and coil pack which i swapped last night). Now on the other side of things, ever since yesterday after noon ive heard a faint ticking/a slight noise of exhaust air from the passenger side of the car. I figured all of the people here if anyone at all might have any idea whats causing this predicament. Ive babied this car since ive gotten her, try to keep her engine bay clean, fluids checked every week, oils changed on time and K&N filters used. (With the exception of being about 500 miles over now) im wondering if changing it may help with relubeing the valves/springs and stopping the noise.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto
So about a week ago I pulled into a gas station, and when i went to leave the car wouldnt start. I was able to roll start it (god bless manual transmissions) and in the process i noticed everything in the car was still receiving power, and i could faintly hear the starter activating. About 3 days ago though i had the same problem except this time the battery was also dead. Took it to auto zone and they said the battery was good, but had a charge of 0%, im assuming caused by the strain of starting it each time by what may be a faulty starter. Had it tested last night, they said my alternator was fine (12.230/12.210 amps) and my battery was staying charged as well. Keep in mind this is a 12 year old car which when bought last year had 53k on it and has 67k on it now with all original parts (except for plugs, wires and coil pack which i swapped last night). Now on the other side of things, ever since yesterday after noon ive heard a faint ticking/a slight noise of exhaust air from the passenger side of the car. I figured all of the people here if anyone at all might have any idea whats causing this predicament. Ive babied this car since ive gotten her, try to keep her engine bay clean, fluids checked every week, oils changed on time and K&N filters used. (With the exception of being about 500 miles over now) im wondering if changing it may help with relubeing the valves/springs and stopping the noise.
If your motor is 'ticking' then that's most likely a exhaust manifold leak, and basically every mustang has it, or is gettin it as we speak. Our a/c drips on it so it cracks and breaks. Other problems could r maybe a short? They will drain your battery.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well guess ive got an excuse now to upgrade my headers and im gonna purchase a new battery tomorrow, any recommended brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Idk I have a duralast and it's been good so far.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah thats what I've been thinking. Everytime something goes wrong on my car i think its the cars way of saying its wanting to show everyone what its capable of and that through all the upgrades ive been doing thats how its gonna get there. That or it just really wants to rip every ricer in a 4 mile radius a new one >
Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Red top by optima a great battery!! What I have on my Stang
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Re: Preventative Maintenance/ Starting Issues

the ticking sounds like what happened to mine, my exhaust ended up falling off and when i went to call the shop for it he knew exactly what the problem was and all i told him was what the car was. the A/C drain drips right on top of the passenger side exhaust (i'm lookin for a suitable wya to re-direct it now) and will cause a crack just before the cats. The Exhaust guy said that that crack/break and the headers cracking/breaking is not a matter of if its a matter of when. another possiblity is timing belt/chain. As far as the power issue the only thing i can think of has already been said, a short, the battery or alternator.

You do know that if you take a voltmeter to your battery witht he engine off it should read about 12v. and with the car running it should read around 14. if it reads 12 while running then i suspect your alternator. if it reads 14 then battery or starter is where i'd start

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah thats what I've been thinking. Everytime something goes wrong on my car i think its the cars way of saying its wanting to show everyone what its capable of and that through all the upgrades ive been doing thats how its gonna get there. That or it just really wants to rip every ricer in a 4 mile radius a new one >
Always a good thing to upgrade, but let's face it our cars are all around 10+ years old, **** happens to a vehicle that old.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Which is why i spend what little free time i have in my girlfriends garage keeping her on her toes. And then i work on my car but in all seriousness for an almost all stock 12 year old car, she's held up quite fine
Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which is why i spend what little free time i have in my girlfriends garage keeping her on her toes. And then i work on my car but in all seriousness for an almost all stock 12 year old car, she's held up quite fine
Yeah man m cars 13 years old and runs amazing, I love my car!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The guy who had her before me was in the army so she wasn't driven often. In fact the last time she was really driven at all was in 2004 before her accident. After that she was fixed and sold and went from lot to lot til i found her a year ago. She's been a great car so as a reward she's getting a new coat of paint on her/my birthday next month. Im excited

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang