Headders - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Headders

Alright, so I have an exhaust leak and i'm praying its just the gasket, but I'm going to prepare for the worst too, which would be a cracked manifold. So my opinion is if i have to replace it anyway why not replace it with a better part. So my questions are: what is the best preformance headder (I've heard a lot about pacesetter) and where is the cheapest place to buy it?

thanks for the help

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: Headders

I did the same thing when I got a cracked manifold on my 6er... I put pacesetter Longtubes on it. However... mac longtubes are easier to find a shorty midpipe for so that you don't have to take it to a shop for a custom fitting... I bought the pacesetters because they were cheaper.
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Well bud the best is different among us all and a cracked manifold isn't the worst trust me lol MAC and BBK both have nice headers and got sets on eBay for bout 200 bucks .. Check out American Muscle is a favored site among this forum.. Last model restoration .. Summit racing.. And Stangmods.com all are good starting points.. But just to throw this out there 94-98 mustangs came stock with shorty headers I actually have a set on my 2000 and only paid 20 bucks for them and they flow just as good as any 200-300 buck set
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Mac all the way for bang for buck and all-around ease if use and ownership.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I understand that this isn't the worst that can happen. I'm not really looking at shortys though because all I've heard was that long tubes give you better sound and preformance. and i dont need a mid pipe really, just gotta go from the headders to the cats, because I've got true duals, no X, H, or Y pipe just each side, Manifold>cat>muffler>muffler>tips (bought it that way, not sure why two mufflers but with as loud as it is now i'd hate to see just one muffler)

LCMC Member
Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Ceramic coating has been proven to be what peoples opinion should be as only option. Save the $100.00 & get the ceramic coating. I just got a new dyno set of runs today. New exhaust system netted me 10 Freaking HP. I have a single port V6. Doing the exhaust the right way matters. I use a set of ceramic coated MAC longtube headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, stainless steel Prochanber, and FM 10 Series mufflers.
If you want to be educated on exhaust truths, read this link, It explains it all:Auto Exhaust Science
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Your factory exhaust manifold should already be headers. Junkyard-$10 lol. But I wouldn't spend a crazy amount on bbk or macs or anything
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine cracked also and was looking to replace them, so it seems I will be getting longtube headers since everyone recommends it.
shadow commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So, as it turns out, it may not be an exhaust leak. Started my car up the night before last and it blew the #3 spark plug out of the head. yay. Its now at a repair shop.

LCMC Member
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Helicoil will fix it if the threads are messed up my first mustang one the engines blow out the same plug three times finally just stuck one those kits in an never blow out again ..
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

thats what they did, $150 and now it sounds better than it did before it started having this issue....still have either an exhaust leak or valve tapping thought

LCMC Member

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang