New intake design - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
So after looking around for a performance intake manifold and coming up short and seeing the only way to do it is installing part from a windstar I was dissapointed needless to say, so a couple of gear heads and I are going to design a performance intake for the 96-98 mustang, its going to be a direct bolt on using factory hardware.
Factors we need to concider is hood clearence, stock throttle placement, egr and non egr, coolant and sensors.
This is going to be a hell if a project and its going to be a while before we have a working prototype but as we go ill keep this thread updated. Let me know if this is something yall are interested in
dhktactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Re: New intake design

NA or FI? Both?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Um what.......im not good with abbrivations lol, im assuming you mean naturally asperated or fuel injection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I meant forced induction, such as a turbo or supercharger
Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Im a idiot I know them.....now lmao, to that question both

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

The FI intake is going to be for a turbo system, problem im seeing is there isnt alot of space in there to play with, but as soon as I can get a design up and a protype system up and running for both ill put up the numbers, ive got a ebay turbo system that ill bolt to it just as mock up, but this build is going to.be using a bbk throttle body and larger injectors, also ill be contacting sct to see if they can help out with a tune for this setup, once this is actually up and going and I can make sure this is going to be durable and isnt going to blow up im really wanting to mass produce this and be able to sell it for a good price cause I dont know bout yall but im not rich.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

There is someone on these forums that has a custom made sheet metal intake manifold on their V6... but I can't remember who it is right now. Someone will tell us soon enough...

As for your own intake manifold design, I believe that your best bet would be finding a local shop that can spend some hands-on time doing a dyno tune first. After you have perfected a working design, and move into production for the retail market, that is when you would want to contact SCT or BAMA to provide them with an intake manifold for them to play with. You can't write a tune based on theory... I don't think?

I wholeheartedly applaud your initiative here, because there HAS to be something better than our current choices of Stock or Windstar.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yes that what part of it, if we build this and dont see more then a 7% gain in power then its not worth it in my mind, i have two spare motors that we are going to be using for testing, once we have a design and it loaded for cnc then we are going to have a shop build it and we will test it from there, im thinking its going to take a good year to build and test and build and test and so on, the one good thing about this is that you will be able to use stock gaskets and sensors and everything, but instead of a two piece design its going to be a single piece intake, there is a shop in town that can cut designs out of wood for prototyping so that we can get it togther and bolt it up and make sure it fits correct and its going to cost a lot less then having it done out of billet
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

This is what i designed for my car. They're a little old, but it's an idea. 70mm TB and I reused all my parts and deleted the EGR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	50498   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	50499  

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice
Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhktactical View Post
Very nice
I'm thinking about modifing it somewhat and having two different covers. i would like to see how much the overall design of each would effect the overall horsepower.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The one im designing is a full one piece system which means the plenum and manifold are welded together which should help clean up yhe engine bay but the only thing im running into with my design is that im going to have to design a new fuel rail for it which is easy if you have the right equipment.
Right now the layout is still on paper and the program im using im trying to figure out
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion View Post
This is what i designed for my car. They're a little old, but it's an idea. 70mm TB and I reused all my parts and deleted the EGR.
That is awesome. What was the out come after it was on the dyno? What changed in regards to driving performance?
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033

That is awesome. What was the out come after it was on the dyno? What changed in regards to driving performance?
Yea would be alot better also if we had a project with this set up VS windstar.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

see and thats why we want to do this, you google performace parts for the v6 there isnt to many of them, but you google v8 performance and the list is never ending, i mean come one, were is the love for the v6
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhktactical
see and thats why we want to do this, you google performace parts for the v6 there isnt to many of them, but you google v8 performance and the list is never ending, i mean come one, were is the love for the v6
Lmao. Not proud of a v6

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

I mean most people aren't proud of a v6. I respect any motor that runs and has some sort of power. I am faster and more efficient then most cars out there, down here 75% better than what most people have.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Down here lots off old hand me down trucks and crap that's not taken care of. Better yet rate me at 65% bc there are a lot of bmws, Acura, Audi, most nice cars are the most expensive. I like what I have.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

i love my little stang but what pisses me off is that my wifes new honda van beat my mustang in a 1/2 miles, thats bull****, and she thinks its so damn funny to, but you wait ill leave that pos in the dust
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
i love my little stang but what pisses me off is that my wifes new honda van beat my mustang in a 1/2 miles, thats bull****, and she thinks its so damn funny to, but you wait ill leave that pos in the dust
Let her have her fun. Love her for that.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

ya i know i love her lol, and i cant get mad at her she bought me a nos kit for my impreza
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
ya i know i love her lol, and i cant get mad at her she bought me a nos kit for my impreza
Then you'd better love her
Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

Quote:
looks good; too bad it wont pass emissions in CA
Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

well you could get it to pass, but that's why i'll never live in that retarded *** state!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

Quote:
well you could get it to pass, but that's why i'll never live in that retarded *** state!!!
it would not pass the visual inspection of the test. once they see that manifold and find out there is no CARB number it is an automatic failure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang