Turbo Kits? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Turbo Kits?

Any one have any idea when someone is gonna come out with a good V6 turbo kit again. I want twins but not looking like it will happen.
fasternu_674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via MSN to EVIL-G-NIUS Send a message via Yahoo to EVIL-G-NIUS
Smile Re: Turbo Kits?

don't know if it's a good kit or not but i found one on ebay last night with t3/t4 turbo's ans the intercooler with all pipes. minus the exhaust header flanges and one other item that looked to be a really good deal. i'll look and see if i can find the posting number and post it a little later.
EVIL-G-NIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Turbo Kits?

here's the ebay auction number 180205813358 please anyone let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

build your own.

find some cheap headers and modify them for the flanges or use them as a template to add more tubing (depending on turbo placement), or hell, make them from scratch!

construct and route your own oil feeds and returns, coolant feeds and returns (if the turbo(s) chosen are water cooled as well), and fab up your own piping and FMIC. the sheer amount you will learn just from doing this will be amazing, and IMO totally worth it. might have to buy a welder and learn to weld in the process, something in itself that can take you far.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I know how to weld and fabricate things. I have a pipe bender and everything needed for the metal processing. I guess I will just have to do some research and figure some stuff out. Would it be worth it to buy the kit that is on ebay and fabricate the rest my self of just start from the ground up?
fasternu_674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

that would work, however i knew a guy who did this to a honduh. bought the ebay turbo kit and was going to use it as a base to get the setup running. he found out though that most the parts of the kit were of such piss-poor quality he ended up having to replace them right up front, said all his feed and return lines were basically useless, fittings were different threads, lengths of supplied SS lines werent long enough, stuff like that. not to mention his turbo's compressor housing split in half, as is a problem with most ebay turbo's.

so in the end you might end up replacing mostly everything in the kit anyways with better quality stuff. why half *** things? do that, and you end up doing it twice! do it right the first time or dont do it at all is my view on things of this nature.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like solid advise. The kit shown on ebay was pictured on the actual mustang. However it is pretty vague on if it is a direct bolt on kit or not. I just ran across it last night in my searching and wondered if it would be worth the money. This is one thing i have never had the opportunity to tackle so i can't speak from experience. The kit did seem to be reasonably priced but then again you get what you pay for. Someone should write a step by step tutorial for someone that has never done this before.(like myself) From a spectators point of view though it looks to be a little scary.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

The ebay turbo kits are nightmares. A friend bought the $800 kit for his honda. With a week the header cracked on it because of no support. It would get red hot and the weight of the turbo was slowly bending it I figured. Anyway after repairing it almost constantly for 3 months the compressor just completely seized up on him and left him stranded at englishtown.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang