difference between tunes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to iphonemaster93
difference between tunes?

I'm guessing that the octane of gas, whether it's 87, 89, or 91 doesn't matter. What my question is, what's the difference between performance, street, and race tune? I'm about to get the SCT SF 3 Tuner but i don't know which custom tunes I want mainly because I don't know what the difference is. Thanks
iphonemaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Iv been wondering the same thing. Is it worth getting all 3 different tunes or would it be better to may be get a 87&93 race tune just incase I want to use it and I still have a decent amount of 87 left in the tank.
97cutomstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The nice thing about free bama tunes is you can order extras and keep them on computer and experiment.
I like the race tune the best. Having it in both fuel types is not a bad idea. I have only been using 93 since I got mine.
Would love to hear from someone who has race tune in 87 and 93 and how much different it is. I like the performance tune as well...
All of them are much better than stock.

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

They change the timing and air, with my race tune on my RPM's past like 3000 pull a hell of a lot harder
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: difference between tunes?

i plan on going for both street and performance for 87 but race for 91. might consider 87 performance and race but not sure about that. but my question is how am i able to get 91 race tune onto my car without actually having 91 octane gas in my fuel tank? do i have to tune it at the gas station or something? i don't get how that's gonna work out.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Don't put 91 tune with 87 gas. Wait till you run out of 87 first. Get as close to empty as you can.

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I have an sct 4 bank and an auto, honestly I prefer the 87 tune the best but have been running 93 only. I can tell the diff between 87 and 93 on the 87 tune as well as 89 and 93. Will say it's a little too aggressive on the 93 tune for my taste but that's me.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i know, i'm gonna wait till i get the tuner first, then make sure i get the low fuel alert light to turn on, and then go to the gas station but after that, how am i to get the 91 tune into the ecu system? that's the problem. i know if i put in 91 tune into the ecu system before i fill it up with 91, the car won't operate correctly so i was guessing i might have to put in 91 tune at the spot at the gas station...
Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Here is what i think a good way to tune it would be:
1) Wait until you are near empty
2) Pump 93 (or 91 if thats what you choose)
3) Find a parking spot in the gas station and park
4) Upload the tune

Having 91 or 93 on a stock tune won't do any damage to your engine so upload the tune after you fill up.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I never let my tank below 1/4 for obvious reasons like its really bad for the pump, but even when I ran 87 100% of the time and just out 93 in sometimes I have never had any detonation.. I don't believe it's that serious to need to run your gas that far down.. I personally never want to know if my gas light even works.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Here is what i think a good way to tune it would be:
1) Wait until you are near empty
2) Pump 93 (or 91 if thats what you choose)
3) Find a parking spot in the gas station and park
4) Upload the tune

Having 91 or 93 on a stock tune won't do any damage to your engine so upload the tune after you fill up.
yeah, highest octane fuel in my area is 91

---------- Post added at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I never let my tank below 1/4 for obvious reasons like its really bad for the pump, but even when I ran 87 100% of the time and just out 93 in sometimes I have never had any detonation.. I don't believe it's that serious to need to run your gas that far down.. I personally never want to know if my gas light even works.
oh maybe it's just personal preference then haha. MOST of the time i don't either, but just in case maybe this time when i wanna switch tunes i will, just to make sure nothing goes wrong with the system.

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

so i guess after my K&N CAI comes in, I might install that first (or not), wait until my tank almost runs out, go and get 91 then upload the custom tune. but i might not want to start with 91 race tune as a starter...probably 87 performance tune to start with LOL
Old 05-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

Here is a copy/paste from another thread... I posted this regarding my current collection of tunes...

DO YOU TRAVEL??
Keep in mind that you can always request new tunes even though you have not made new modifications to your car. Tuner holds three, laptop holds as many as you can get!

Here is what I mean... so far I have a collection of tunes that go like this:

87S (home)
87P (mountains)
89P (home)
89R (mountains)
91P (home)
91R (mountains)
93R (home used with 95 octane E-30)

I DO NOT PURCHASE 85 octane gasoline when I am in the mountains!

High elevations NEED lower octane fuel, so you can advance the timing further than you can at sea level. This allows you to use a more aggressive tune on 87 or higher octane fuel.

Elevation ALONE is worth at least 2 octane points which simply means you can run a 91 octane tune on 89 octane fuel with the exact same results

Think of it this way... The air is thinner at higher elevations. On the intake stroke less air enters the combustion chamber. This is basically the same as reducing the compression ratio. With a lower compression ratio, a lower octane fuel is required. Performance suffers a bit at elevation, just look at trap times in Denver... all cars run a little slower at 5000 feet above sea level...

Just my 2 cents...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang