Mustang Evolution Forum banner

ideas for the new stang please

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Just_John 
#1 ·
So I just bought my 04 40th anniversary v6 5spd and she's pretty much bone stock. Definatly want to do some upgrades once I put her on the road and I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas to start with? Definatly wanna get a short throw but have no idea where to find a good one. All ideas welcome!

#2 · (Edited)
Mgw short shifters are probably the best shifters out. Look into getting a windstar intake for it. I dont have any experience with them but a lot of people bring them up and they look pretty good under the hood.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Off topic ? Is it an actual 40th anniversary or does it just have the emblems?

#4 ·
Dgerow12 said:
I know its an 04 and it has the emblems what else is different about the 40th? And I was thinking about mgw what's the price range on those.
i think it came with special gold stripes ,emblems and grille im not sure

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

and as for upgrades it all depends on 2 things, what your goals are for the car all together(present and future) , and how deep ur pockets are.

#20 ·
I LOVE my MGW shifter! Crisp, clean, precise shifts! I also bought the black ball with grey markings to match my car.

As for the Windstar, VAP doesn't actually mention an absolute cut off date.
It just says "Windstar Kit to be Discontinued Soon....................05/10/12"
The 5/10/12 is the date that the website was updated.
I can not possibly articulate:
A) how easy it was to install, and
B) how pleased I am with the results in both performance and gas mileage.

If you get a Windstar, get the optional 65mm throttle body, and do the EGR delete. Super Six Motorsports - V6 products that make your life faster has instructions on how to do it.

I imagine that the more sales that Steven gets, the longer he will delay the termination.

#9 ·
haha well basic bolt on's is ur best bang for the buck. its gona take some money to get ur v6 going but its possible if ur commited enough. duals, off road x or h pipe, longtube headers, cai , 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears, and top it all of with a tune. etc ..

#10 ·
Yea that's what I was figuring. This is my second stang so I'm defiantly more knowledgeable than with my first one. I was thinking about longtubes but I'm just concerned about emissions cause NY is pretty strict. What are some good bolt ons to start with ? I defiantly am doing a cai and Duals first then most likely a short throw but after that I have no idea

#16 ·
250-260 at the crank or at the wheels??? Cause 250 at the wheels for your car will take a lot.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Yea I can't decide if I want 4.10 or 3.73. It is my daily driver and I don't do a lot of highway driving but I want to conserve mpg and still be able to dust someone from a stop light. Do you think 250 is do-able without a blower? And what would it require?

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Also since my exterior is pretty stock I definatly want to do some visual upgrades as well. I want to take the wing off my 2000 and put it on the 04 but I'm wondering if painting it black on a blue car would look good
If you don't do much highway driving and want to be able to dust someone then go 4.10s... If you are disciplined with the throttle in the city with 4.10s you can actually gain mpg, but if you like to stand on it a lot then mpg will go down.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

well it sounds like ur pretty serious and wana make some power out of it. so i would look into finding a 8.8 rear end from a gt instead of getting gears for ur sixxers rear end. try to find one that has some 4.10 gears already installed too.
That will be pretty difficult if you want to find a wrecked GT with 4.10s cause those aren't factory gears.

#14 ·
Yea I can't decide if I want 4.10 or 3.73. It is my daily driver and I don't do a lot of highway driving but I want to conserve mpg and still be able to dust someone from a stop light. Do you think 250 is do-able without a blower? And what would it require?

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Also since my exterior is pretty stock I definatly want to do some visual upgrades as well. I want to take the wing off my 2000 and put it on the 04 but I'm wondering if painting it black on a blue car would look good

#15 ·
Dgerow12 said:

first off, Black FTW lol. and yeah i think its possible to make that much power without a blower. just go for those upgrades i told u about. and if u care about mpg then just go for some 3.73 gears. its good enough. and for the wing, im not a fan of the 99-00 spoiler. i prefer the wingless look. looks MEAN with a dropped mustang and fat wheels . got any pics of ur ride ?

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

nvm i just saw ur pics on ur profile

#17 ·
Soccerluvr4 said:
250-260 at the crank or at the wheels??? Cause 250 at the wheels for your car will take a lot.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

If you don't do much highway driving and want to be able to dust someone then go 4.10s... If you are disciplined with the throttle in the city with 4.10s you can actually gain mpg, but if you like to stand on it a lot then mpg will go down.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

That will be pretty difficult if you want to find a wrecked GT with 4.10s cause those aren't factory gears.
obviously. but ive seen people selling the rear ends on ebay and they come with aftermarket gears in them. it costs a pretty penny for the rear end and u might need to travel but its out there.

#18 ·
The pics on my profile are of my red 2000 I just got a blue 04. And I prefer the look of the 99-00 wings more than the post style 01-04 wings. A lot of stangs around here are wingless and I like to be different lol. But I was thinking as far as the black goes I want a black spoiler, black chin spoiler, black deck lid and smoked tails. Also black rocker stripes prolly too

This is the 04

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#19 ·
fresh2death said:
Mgw short shifters are probably the best shifters out. Look into getting a windstar intake for it. I dont have any experience with them but a lot of people bring them up and they look pretty good under the hood.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Off topic ? Is it an actual 40th anniversary or does it just have the emblems?
The only website that I have seen that sells windstar intake kits is going to stop selling them this summer... better buy one now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.