major power loss and hesitation!!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #36

Region: Michigan
Re: major power loss and hesitation!!!

I am also having issues. I replaced my plugs 2 bad coils, fuel filter, and the say sensore. Ran great for about a month. Added some deadpan and it helped for a bit. I'm thinking of replacing my erg valve next, but I'm figuring that this will work for a short time period as well. I need to replace my throw bearing and clutch soon. Could the chattering and slip cause misfire?
Roz21nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
No, im pretty sure that chatter and slip wont cause a miss....

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz21nik
I am also having issues. I replaced my plugs 2 bad coils, fuel filter, and the say sensore. Ran great for about a month. Added some deadpan and it helped for a bit. I'm thinking of replacing my erg valve next, but I'm figuring that this will work for a short time period as well. I need to replace my throw bearing and clutch soon. Could the chattering and slip cause misfire?
I know when I replaced my erg it made a world of difference! Like I said it still lacks power at take off and surges a little under 1700 rpms but its a lot better.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #39

Well, the issue confusing me is that if my car is sitting still it does not miss but once i hit the gas to go it seems as though it it does not have the power it did and fumbles over it self.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, the issue confusing me is that if my car is sitting still it does not miss but once i hit the gas to go it seems as though it it does not have the power it did and fumbles over it self.
That is confusing. If it were timing or ignition I would think it would be at least a little rough at idle. Emissions is what I know the least about on an engine cuz I live in indiana and no one cares about em. Even the police! So it could have something to do with emissions. Issues with your fuel wouldn't make it mis would it?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025

That is confusing. If it were timing or ignition I would think it would be at least a little rough at idle. Emissions is what I know the least about on an engine cuz I live in indiana and no one cares about em. Even the police! So it could have something to do with emissions. Issues with your fuel wouldn't make it mis would it?
It could certainly cause a miss.

LCMC Member
Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Well then id get ur fuel pressure tested.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #43

Well I'm Fixing my
Clutch and throw bearing this weekend. Next week I am doing my erg and fuel pump. Anyone interested in outcomes,

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Also, fuel pressure seems ok, but it doesn't happen every time. I feel this could be early symptoms of
A fuel pump failure.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I'm Fixing my
Clutch and throw bearing this weekend. Next week I am doing my erg and fuel pump. Anyone interested in outcomes,

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Also, fuel pressure seems ok, but it doesn't happen every time. I feel this could be early symptoms of
A fuel pump failure.
Yeah id like to know what happens when u replace your fuel pump and egr. A shop replaced mine with a used egr valve and I'm wondering if they even did cuz if it was out and they replaced it I should have noticed a dif in MPG.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

PCV DELETE! PCV DELETE! Lol just cheerin ya on
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

So, i was driving to work today and on my way the "check gas cap" light came on. And when i parked i let it sit and idle for a little bit and for about 5 min i had no miss. This is normally when it does it too (warmed up at idle)

So my question is ... does anyone know if the car is supposed to have some way of keeping positive pressure on the tank? Which would be removed with an aftermarket exhaust

LCMC Member
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind
So, i was driving to work today and on my way the "check gas cap" light came on. And when i parked i let it sit and idle for a little bit and for about 5 min i had no miss. This is normally when it does it too (warmed up at idle)

So my question is ... does anyone know if the car is supposed to have some way of keeping positive pressure on the tank? Which would be removed with an aftermarket exhaust
I have a friend who's gas cap went bad and he lost a few mpg and some power. The dealer said the tank had to b pressurized and charged him around 80 for a new one. I don't see how exhaust would play a part but I'm not a mechanic ether. But ur cap not sealing sounds like something worth looking in to.

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
PCV DELETE! PCV DELETE! Lol just cheerin ya on
Haha so have u deleted yours? If so any pros or cons uve noticed? I've read a lot a ppl say its not a good idea and just as many say go for it. I don't see how unmetered air would hurt.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I totally noticed a difference. Our PCV are know for suckin up oil, mine was. So after I plugged it off I noticed a crisper throttle and smother off throttle power, no more hesitation! I don't know of any "cons" except some stuff shirt may make some comment about it at inspection. It's worth it, I promise.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I totally noticed a difference. Our PCV are know for suckin up oil, mine was. So after I plugged it off I noticed a crisper throttle and smother off throttle power, no more hesitation! I don't know of any "cons" except some stuff shirt may make some comment about it at inspection. It's worth it, I promise.
I think ill do it then. I did a lil research on lunch break and from what I read ur engine creates positive pressure in the valve cover so blow by gases should just push its self out. And pcv valves weren't invented till 1951 n e ways so every engine b4 then didn't have one an they were fine. I got on summit and the have k&n breathers for $17. Witch ones did u get? An I live n indy. I don't have to deal with inspections thankfully.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I'm def deleting my pcv. I just took the metal tube going from my pcv to the back of my TB and quite a bit of oil dripped out. So I just ordered a K&N breather an got some caps for the vacuum lines.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #51

Well I did not change my clutch yet had to wait. However, I fixed my problem. Something very dumb and stupid. I went to change my fuel pump and when I look inside it was laying on its side. The fuel pump housing had broke away from the fuel tank. So, when I would drive it would roll all over the place making it suck air. I fill my car very regularly so it was difficult to figure out. I also changed my egr parts, full tune up, 2 new coils, cleaned throttle body, new pcv, and cleaned my MAF sensor. Car has never idled better and sounded so crisp. Minor chattering and minor slip from clutch is only problem. New clutch next week. WOOOT
Old 06-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I did not change my clutch yet had to wait. However, I fixed my problem. Something very dumb and stupid. I went to change my fuel pump and when I look inside it was laying on its side. The fuel pump housing had broke away from the fuel tank. So, when I would drive it would roll all over the place making it suck air. I fill my car very regularly so it was difficult to figure out. I also changed my egr parts, full tune up, 2 new coils, cleaned throttle body, new pcv, and cleaned my MAF sensor. Car has never idled better and sounded so crisp. Minor chattering and minor slip from clutch is only problem. New clutch next week. WOOOT
Glad it wasn't any thing to serious. Today I got my k&n valve cover breather and got rid of my pcv valve and capped my hoses. I idle perfectly! My vacuum went from 12 ft to 19-21 ft and it doesn't surge n e more at low rpms! It still doesn't have n e power but I checked one of my plugs and they r satureted with oil! So I'm gonna replace my plugs next week cuz no one carries motorcraft plugs around here. I know there are a lot of ppl who don't like pcv delets but I gotta say, its done more for my performance than anything!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Who has gas wo ethenol
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fox
Who has gas wo ethenol
Ive found that most of them are little mom and pop gas stations. And they are a little more expensive too. 93 around me is about 3.50 or so and the place near me was still 4.29.

LCMC Member
Old 06-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fox
Who has gas wo ethenol
Marinas
Hutchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

well, i tried resetting the car's tune back to stock, to see if it was the tune that was messed up causing the stumble. Didn't work, still stumbles. At least i know i didnt get a bad tune i guess. just waiting on the fuel to get low enough to be able to check on my fuel pump.

LCMC Member
Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Thx. Well I'm in northern chicago. All around me is bp, shell, mobil and speedway a ways away. All say can contain it. My f100 used to seem to run better on mobil. I might try being consistent only get mob or shell. And meijer of course work there convenient. And the price thing np lol I think chicago one of highest in us. It was approaching 5, now you get the oh my god 3.89 a gal Sweet. I honestly never really pay attention to prices its a necessity. 20 bucks last me like 2 days..sucks. maybe less if work both jobs.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

I changed my plugs and I was sure that would fix it. my old plugs were almost white doesn't that mean their to hot? But I have an 180 degree thermostat and at most ill get to 185 on a 95 degree day. It runs perfectly fine with regular driving but as soon as I stomp it it falls flat on its face... wat fun is a stang that can't be gunned?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

My plugs, wires are new 190 tstat. Runs pointing at flag most time. Same deal even when running right when get into halfway through 2nd prob around 3700 rpm it will start jerking and popping not accelerating harder feels like having seizure. Not exactly sure on rpms listen a lot more than look at guage. Mech says feels like turning key on and off. Reading those links ill have ti look for my eec. I've been suspecting if fuel injectors or pcv. On a big side note...I was driving car for quite awhile untill one of more recent times took to shop to talk. Popped hood and found the hose for my maf that connects to box on firewall disconnected and capped off. We uncapped and plugged back in. But u have had all these same issues and symptoms since had. Or u think I did. One other shop, joke of place where bought, installed an intake gasket set and valve cover gaskets and ubrelated balll joints. Can't remember if was doing this before.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Glad it wasn't any thing to serious. Today I got my k&n valve cover breather and got rid of my pcv valve and capped my hoses. I idle perfectly! My vacuum went from 12 ft to 19-21 ft and it doesn't surge n e more at low rpms! It still doesn't have n e power but I checked one of my plugs and they r satureted with oil! So I'm gonna replace my plugs next week cuz no one carries motorcraft plugs around here. I know there are a lot of ppl who don't like pcv delets but I gotta say, its done more for my performance than anything!
Told ya! That PCV delete is freakin sweet. Did you run some sea foam thru your intake? That helps break down what oil got thru and is still in there.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Told ya! That PCV delete is freakin sweet. Did you run some sea foam thru your intake? That helps break down what oil got thru and is still in there.
Yeah I did that. And that has helped more than n e thing! My pcv and egr are, well were intergrated, so I deleted both. And I'm thinking I got rid of one problem and got another. I was reading that deleting egr will raise the temp in the cyclinder so I think I went from fouled plugs to burnt plugs... would getting plugs with a higher heat rating fix it u think?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I did that. And that has helped more than n e thing! My pcv and egr are, well were intergrated, so I deleted both. And I'm thinking I got rid of one problem and got another. I was reading that deleting egr will raise the temp in the cyclinder so I think I went from fouled plugs to burnt plugs... would getting plugs with a higher heat rating fix it u think?
It should, but i wouldnt go too much higher

LCMC Member
Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah not too high and were you sayin that you have a lower thermostat? Cuz that would help a little. Also sounds like your timing and fuel need to be adjusted after deleting the EGR
Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

I've read two dif things on this forum. I read a thread where a guy said if they're white get a lower because the heat rating is how much heat they produce and I've read that the heat rating is how much heat they can take. Witch one is it?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

I tlked to a mechanic friend of mine an he said both r right. I need a higher heat rating that produces a higher heat and can withstand more heat. So I got some platnim autolites. well see wat happens!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
I tlked to a mechanic friend of mine an he said both r right. I need a higher heat rating that produces a higher heat and can withstand more heat. So I got some platnim autolites. well see wat happens!
good luck

LCMC Member
Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

What year is your ride? Cuz it could also mean your fuel is lean so you should readjust your air/fuel.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

I'm mean lean from the EGR delete.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What year is your ride? Cuz it could also mean your fuel is lean so you should readjust your air/fuel.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

I'm mean lean from the EGR delete.
Its an 86. How do I adjust that?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Would I have to buy an adjustible fuel pressure regulator... even though my stock one is 3 months old?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Would I have to buy an adjustible fuel pressure regulator... even though my stock one is 3 months old?
86 is still efi right? You might be able to do it with a tuner if you have one. I know for mine it will only let me richen the mixture, it wont let me lean it out

LCMC Member

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang