major power loss and hesitation!!! - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind

86 is still efi right? You might be able to do it with a tuner if you have one. I know for mine it will only let me richen the mixture, it wont let me lean it out
They don't make a tuner for mine, atleast not that I've found and I've looked everywhere. Its a throttle body injection an ford olny made my engine for 2 years so there isn't a lot out there for it. Only thing I can think of to richen it is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #72
Lorraine's driver

Regular

They make the filler necks from our tanks out of plastic. Prolly doesn't take much to jangle the threads for the gas cap to have probs.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025
I've read two dif things on this forum. I read a thread where a guy said if they're white get a lower because the heat rating is how much heat they produce and I've read that the heat rating is how much heat they can take. Witch one is it?
Trojan Horse wrote a sticky full of general mustang tech info. This mainly applies to 79-95, but checkout the thread at around 2/13/12 where he has info on spark plugs.

Useful Mustang Information - READ THIS FIRST!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
They make the filler necks from our tanks out of plastic. Prolly doesn't take much to jangle the threads for the gas cap to have probs.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Trojan Horse wrote a sticky full of general mustang tech info. This mainly applies to 79-95, but checkout the thread at around 2/13/12 where he has info on spark plugs.

Useful Mustang Information - READ THIS FIRST!
Thanks! I might give that a try. I've also heard if I get a street fire coil I can gap my plugs to .060 instead of .054 and the spark will not be as hot. Id like to try it but I want to look into it a little more and tlk to some ppl who know more than I do about ingition systems b4 I try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

So lastnight I filled up and put some lucas oil deep clean in it and today it runs like complete crap... I can't even come to a complete stop without it dieing. N e one else ever had a prob with lucas oil fuel system cleaner?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
So lastnight I filled up and put some lucas oil deep clean in it and today it runs like complete crap... I can't even come to a complete stop without it dieing. N e one else ever had a prob with lucas oil fuel system cleaner?
Wow really? I've never had a prob with Lucas and I run that stuff thru every oil change.
Kingmidas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #76
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Maybe it could've cleaned out some gunk and cloged up your o2 sensors?..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #77
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Maybe it could've cleaned out some gunk and cloged up your o2 sensors?..
I've never removed O2 sensors, can they be cleaned?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #78
Filibuster

Quote:

I've never removed O2 sensors, can they be cleaned?
I never have..id imagine it's debatable..I've never heard of o2 cleaner,but im sure people have tried to with success and falure:/

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Quote:

I never have..id imagine it's debatable..I've never heard of o2 cleaner,but im sure people have tried to with success and falure:/
I just replaced mine when I got my car..
Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

I just replaced mine when I got my car..
I prob need to replace mine but their a pain n the butt to get to. Strange thing, this morning my stang worked just fine. Well I'm still having issues wen I get on it but it runs fine during normal driving again. My guess is it just broke some crud lose.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #80
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

I prob need to replace mine but their a pain n the butt to get to. Strange thing, this morning my stang worked just fine. Well I'm still having issues wen I get on it but it runs fine during normal driving again. My guess is it just broke some crud lose.
Hate that intermittent stuff. Hope you figure it out.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it could be from the crap comin outta your fuel system or your o2's being old. If you don't remember the last time you changed em it would probably be a good time to do so.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmidas87
Yeah it could be from the crap comin outta your fuel system or your o2's being old. If you don't remember the last time you changed em it would probably be a good time to do so.
I just bought it about 2 months ago. I've worked on cars a lot so I thought I could buy it cheap an fix it... didn't work that way. I picked a couple 02 sensors but couldn't get the old ones off. Is there a trick to make it a lil easier?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #83
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

I just bought it about 2 months ago. I've worked on cars a lot so I thought I could buy it cheap an fix it... didn't work that way. I picked a couple 02 sensors but couldn't get the old ones off. Is there a trick to make it a lil easier?
I think it requires a special tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-Ox...n+sensor+tools

You might be able to rent one from Autozone or O'Reilly Auto Parts, etc.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Serious? I always just used a wrench
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #85
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Serious? I always just used a wrench
I've never had to change them, so I'm going by what my buds have used. I thought you could t get a wrench on it cause it sinks down in the fitting of the exhaust too far?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think it requires a special tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-Ox...n+sensor+tools

You might be able to rent one from Autozone or O'Reilly Auto Parts, etc.
Thanks! That tool would make it a lot easier! I tried with a wrench but couldn't get n e leverage because I didn't have much room. I thought about cutting the wire and using a deep well socket but if that didn't work I would really b screwed!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Well last time I checked em out the exhaust was out so this tool would make it easier
Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #88
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Thanks! That tool would make it a lot easier! I tried with a wrench but couldn't get n e leverage because I didn't have much room. I thought about cutting the wire and using a deep well socket but if that didn't work I would really b screwed!
Right on!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #89
Filibuster

When you put the new ones in use a little bit of anti-seize too make them easy to remove..but be carful not to get any on the probe.
It will help alot I've had to remove mine several times and never have a problem.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

So I found out a large part of my prob. The guy who I bought my car from built the WHOLE exhust system and didn't put it n the right place where it goes over the rear axle. So when I would go over large bumps my exhust pipe would get smashed. My uncle cut my pipe off right infront of the rear axle tonight and it runs a lot smoother! And the hesitation lessend quite a bit. I looked at the pipe he cut off and it was smashed to where I don't know how it even ran! I'm still gonna replace my 02 sensors cuz, like I said its not perfect, but I'm liking the sound and its a lot smoother!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #91
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
So I found out a large part of my prob. The guy who I bought my car from built the WHOLE exhust system and didn't put it n the right place where it goes over the rear axle. So when I would go over large bumps my exhust pipe would get smashed. My uncle cut my pipe off right infront of the rear axle tonight and it runs a lot smoother! And the hesitation lessend quite a bit. I looked at the pipe he cut off and it was smashed to where I don't know how it even ran! I'm still gonna replace my 02 sensors cuz, like I said its not perfect, but I'm liking the sound and its a lot smoother!
Cool man, this is good!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good deal! It's always a huge reliefs when you figure that stuff out.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good deal! It's always a huge reliefs when you figure that stuff out.
Tell me about it! I just got back from an hour drive in the country. Nuttin like skillet blairing on the stereo, the rowr of the exhust, the wind and smell of corn through the windows and the open road ahead of u on a moon light night! Runs and sounds a lot better!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Skillet! Those guys are pretty sick. Mustangs and Metal TOTALLY go together! Lol

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

For me it's As I Lay Dying and pine trees lol
Old 06-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #95
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Skillet! Those guys are pretty sick. Mustangs and Metal TOTALLY go together! Lol

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

For me it's little further back...Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast. That would be cool to listen to while on the autobahn in Germany
Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh yeah! None of that rap crud or that stuff they call country for me... go rock or go home! They were here in indy over the winter an yeah... they're pretty sick!

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote:

For me it's little further back...Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast. That would be cool to listen to while on the autobahn in Germany
I have a lot more modding to do till I get my lil 6er on the autobahn but that would b awesome!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

The freaking Autobahn lol I'm sorry I would have to haul down that in my 4wheel drive blaring Job for a Cowboy! Lol but I'll have a Rammstein CD for back up
Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #98
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
The freaking Autobahn lol I'm sorry I would have to haul down that in my 4wheel drive blaring Job for a Cowboy! Lol but I'll have a Rammstein CD for back up
Lol!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Idk if this would be part of my prob but there is a group of wires going to my distributor then they branch into 2 plugs, one has 6 wires and is plugged into the side of my dis(I know what its for just can't remember the name) but right beside that r two wires that go to a plug that is plugged into a little black thing that looks like it goes somewhere but I can't find n e where for it to go. If pic would help I can take some tomorrow but as of right now my fone is to dead for my camera to work.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Banghead...on side note if the rumours become actuallity and they build a replica of the autobahn on outskirts of vegas I'm moving back.
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

I've been wondering. A guy on craigs list has a 98 3.8 with 150k miles. My engine has 190k and is leaking a lil oil so it needs rebuilt n e ways b4 to long. 1. Would the intake bolt on to my 86 engine if I wanted to keep that engine cuz mine is TBI and know one makes aftermarket for it or 2 should I take a year to rebuild the 98 (if I buy it) and just drop the new engine and stop putting money into this one. Everyone it telling my to go with a 5.0 but I don't have the experiance or tools to move motor mounts or money to upgrade the suspention/drive terrian.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Any advise? If its a good idea I wanna get this motor b4 n e one else does but if not I don't want to waist $200!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

So I've been tlking to some guys from foureyedpride.com about me doing a split port engine swap. We got %99 of the details worked out, I have a notebook with every part I need for the swap and was even going to look for a 99-04 wrecked 3.8 and then... I get laid off today... so needless to say I'm not looking for a doner car this weekend I'm looking for a freakin job!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I've been tlking to some guys from foureyedpride.com about me doing a split port engine swap. We got %99 of the details worked out, I have a notebook with every part I need for the swap and was even going to look for a 99-04 wrecked 3.8 and then... I get laid off today... so needless to say I'm not looking for a doner car this weekend I'm looking for a freakin job!
Ah bro sorry to hear, that totally sucks.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #105
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I'm so sorry bro... Work for the state or city you'll always have a job
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang